Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed ThisIsThriller.Com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward_Rose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all. New member... first post.

ThisIsThriller.Com

I secured this domain back in 2007 for an independent film that I filmed, produced and starred in. My music movie actually had nothing to do with Michael Jackson, but had an underlying theme that we're living in scary times, and even worse is yet to come. ("I'll make you see that this IS thriller... and I'm the only one who can save you from the Beast about to strike" - Me, from my movie)

Anyway, the whole purpose of spending $30,000 of my own money on this music movie was to let everyone download it for free. Thousands did, and copies of it are now residing on people's hard drives as I await the inevitable. (Long story) Needless to say, the movie will eventually trade via torrents and p-to-p's.

Getting to the point, I'm basically done with any web projects concerning my movie, Michael Jackson is now dead, and I just got an eMail through my WhoIs look-up contact eMail addy from someone offering me a 4-digit figure for thisisthriller.com. I sat back and thought about it, and realized that I coincidentally secured the next-most-common Michael Jackson phrase to michaeljackson.com that I could have possibly thought of. (Unintentionally, of course... and before he died) Three words or less, no hyphens, no weird spellings and with a .com at the end.

So now I'm wondering if this domain name might be worth more to an "Investor" than what would typically be spit out of the Domain Name Appraisal sites. This one... http://www.swiftappraisal.com/step1.php
...comes up with $1,900-$2,900 after answering the questions honestly.

But beyond that, am I dealing with an "Elvis Effect" url, where the profits to eventually be made from MJ music and merch aren't even being comprehended yet by the average person? Of course, you have to keep in mind that those in Asia and Europe see MJ in a completely different light than those in America... who have swallowed the tabloid b.s. hook, line and sinker. This is why those concerts were slated for London and not LA. :)

There's also the fan sites, the largest of which might want this url. And there's even a broadway play based on the Thriller video that WILL eventually make it through the legal hurdles. It would make a great url for the Play's home page if someone wants to try and sell it to the Nederlander Organization in Detroit. Even the links that Network Solutions provide when you go to http://thisisthriller.com tells it all.

Is any of this possible?, or am I just being delusioinal?

Anyways... if anyone would care to post an actual appraisal or even a "what it might be worth to someone" appraisal opinion, I'd appreciate it. Just please let me know which is which by saying "Actual" or "What it might be worth."

Thank You, and Cheers,
Edward Francis Rose

Last edited:

Edward_Rose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No one?

I take it this means that most DON'T think it is worth at least $1900?

Edward Rose

goodguyy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Being toally honest I cant see this being worth $190 let alone $1,900. If you dropped this name no one would re - register it. A Movie , musical , song with these exact words would have to be world famous to make it worth anything beyond $100 i suppose . Otherwise its just a 3 word, weak name . Those domain apprasial services are just a scam and all they are is a scrpt that spits out a value. I can go register ThatIsThriller or ItsYour Thriller etc. for reg fee. Someone can reg ThisIsThriller.org or almost any extension for $8 . I suppose to maybe a micheal jackson fan maybe you can get $100 sale but otherwise I see very little value. This is not an "investment" type domain name.

Edward_Rose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Being toally honest I cant see this being worth $190 let alone $1,900. If you dropped this name no one would re - register it. A Movie , musical , song with these exact words would have to be world famous to make it worth anything beyond $100 i suppose . Otherwise its just a 3 word, weak name . Those domain apprasial services are just a scam and all they are is a scrpt that spits out a value. I can go register ThatIsThriller or ItsYour Thriller etc. for reg fee. Someone can reg ThisIsThriller.org or almost any extension for $8 . I suppose to maybe a micheal jackson fan maybe you can get $100 sale but otherwise I see very little value. This is not an "investment" type domain name.

If that's true, then I can only suspect that the person offering me a four digit figure is aware of some value that everyone else is UNaware of.

Hmmm. Maybe I should take it or try and bid them up.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they came at you with a 4 figure offer, then this means they have wiggle room, counter with something that YOU feel comfortable accepting. Remember that you are in control here and that they want something that YOU own. If you don't need the money really bad sit on it before you make a decision you are going to regret.

Good luck!

goodguyy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No matter what the domain name. if you get a 4 figure offer you definetly should try to negotiate . Just make sure its not a domain apprasial scam. if they ask you to get an apprasial on the name , run. But otherwise you would be wise to counter a little higher and negotiate a little. say they offered $5K , try asking for 9K and se ikf you can meet in the middle . The name on the face of it dosent have alot of value BUT if you got a offer in the low 4 figures thats a good thing.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No matter what the domain name. if you get a 4 figure offer you definetly should try to negotiate . Just make sure its not a domain apprasial scam. if they ask you to get an apprasial on the name , run. But otherwise you would be wise to counter a little higher and negotiate a little. say they offered $5K , try asking for 9K and se ikf you can meet in the middle . The name on the face of it dosent have alot of value BUT if you got a offer in the low 4 figures thats a good thing.
very good point(s)

GhostWriter

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and realized that I coincidentally secured the next-most-common Michael Jackson phrase to michaeljackson.com ..i would say billie jean or beat it. maybe even i'm bad. thriller was great though. i wanted to see your video. anyways, as posted above, watch out for scammers.

Edward_Rose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and realized that I coincidentally secured the next-most-common Michael Jackson phrase to michaeljackson.com ..i would say billie jean or beat it. maybe even i'm bad. thriller was great though. i wanted to see your video. anyways, as posted above, watch out for scammers.

Thanks all. I've gotten those dom app scams before. Never fell for them. (This ain't my first BBQ :) )

The red phrase above has to do with, again, MJ fans. The phrase thisisthriller is an unforgettable url for that market and is no different than the 3-words stairwaytoheaven for the rock n' roll fans. My feeling is that most people here aren't MJ fans (and that's ok), and is the reason why there's no noticable value to everyone.

I think I'll just auction it with the starting bid a little above that person's offer, and simply invite that person to partake.

Edward Rose

goodguyy

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a Jackson fan and would jump at Beat it or Billie Jean and would jump at Thriller.com but not This Is Thriller. Your example is my example Stairway to heaven .com would be fabuloyus but not "Your On The Satirway To Heaven" .com OR "This Is Stairway To Heaven " DOT COM . As a jackson fan I can go reg "It Is Thriller" or any variation for $8. But I think your idea is a good one . Auction it for a little above the offer price and ask the person to have a look. But again alot of these offers are scams so be carefull.

Edward_Rose

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a Jackson fan and would jump at Beat it or Billie Jean and would jump at Thriller.com but not This Is Thriller. Your example is my example Stairway to heaven .com would be fabuloyus but not "Your On The Satirway To Heaven" .com OR "This Is Stairway To Heaven " DOT COM . As a jackson fan I can go reg "It Is Thriller" or any variation for $8. But I think your idea is a good one . Auction it for a little above the offer price and ask the person to have a look. But again alot of these offers are scams so be carefull.

I respect the opinions of everyone here, but the stairway to heaven examples you gave aren't the words to the song. "This is thriller" is what he says at the beginning of each verse. And "This is thriller" would be "unforgetable" for a MJ fan (imortant for url value), compared to the phrase examples you gave for stairway to heaven... words that aren't even heard in the song.

I'm not trying to argue, just making a valid point about what music fans hear when one of the most well known songs of all time floats around in their head, and how easy it would be for a MJ fan to remember thisisthriller.com

However, a good stairway example would be "she's buying a stairway to heaven .com," (no apostrophe) because Led Zep fans would be able to remember that, and because those are the actual words to the song. But of course the more words in a url, the less value it has.

Edward Rose

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators