Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Tips And Resources For Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Names to avoid: Trademarks
Trademarks Search:
Trademarkia.com
tess2.uspto.gov
udrpsearch.com

===================================================

L = Letter Ex. LLL.com (ASP.com)
NL = Number & Letter Ex. NLL.com (9GG.com)
N = Number Ex. NNN.com (999.com)

Dropped or Expired Domain Search:
Dropday.com (paid)
ZFbot.com
expireddomains.net

What to invest in?
Dictionary Term.com/.net/.org
LLL.com
lll.net
lll.org
NLL.com
LNL.com
LLLL.com
NNN.com - They sell for $10,000 min. (these don't show up in the drops)
nnn.net
nnn.org
NNNN.com
keyword

To find keyword stats:
Google Keywords Tool (They recently updated so exact match searches will differ from above sites)

For Sales History:
domaintools.com/domain-sales-history
namebio.com
dnsaleprice.com

For Domain Whois:
whois.sc
who.is

To Sell Domains:

cax.com
pool.com
bido.com
aftermarket.com (haven't sold any there personally)
sedo.com
snapnames.com
godaddy.com (auctions)
flippa.com (developed websites)

Aftermarket Auction:
snapnames.com
namejet.com
pool.com
godaddyauctions.com

Domaining News:
domaining.com
domainsville.com

Traffic Data (These are not accurate)
Compete.com
Alexa.com

Browser Plug-ins:
Firefox
- SearchStatus (Views <acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym>, Alexa Rank, Compete, & Mozilla Rank for sites you visit)
- FireBug - For coding
Chrome
- Chrome <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization">Seo</acronym> - For Stats (Alexa/compete/<acronym title="Google Page Ranking">PR</acronym>/ & so on)
- <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization">SEO</acronym> SERP
- <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization">SEO</acronym> Site Tools

Payment or Domain Escrow
Escrow.com
Sedo.com
eCop.com
escrowdns.com

You can post your tips as well.

Last edited:

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@silentg - wouldn't you recommend that newbies invest in just .com's now rather than .net & .org? I'd also veer away from number/letter combinations and look for keyword names which end users will buy.

That is where you'll get the most for your name - not reselling NNL.com names on a forum.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They should start off with the .com but still should invest in great .net and .org domains that they can buy for a bargain at drop auctions.

DeeG

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appreciate you taking the time to post these helpful tips and resources. Personally, you've save me a fair amount of energy scrounging around trying find which resources are good choices to explore.

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is good of you. Though, I have been in domaining for some time but today you have opened my eyes to more ideas today. especially on these LLL or NNNN etc.
Did you really mean NNN are very worthy domains, does it realy need to be highly search words?

I love to publish these on my blog and give you the credit. Please can I go ahead?

Thanks and Cheers.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not quite a comprehensive list and a lot of material left out (though, this is for beginners). To anyone who wants to track AdSense, I found a Chrome toolbar for it as well. It's much easier than logging in and checking, just click and watch 'er tick.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...lbar/omioeahgfecgfpfldejlnideemfidnkc/related

This will also let you use Chrome and not track your impressions and accidental clicks which can get you banned. I believe it's a must have as I place AdSense ads first, then tweak the placement, design, etc. afterwards leading to more favorable impressions... that pay (~$0.05/day), so I'm surprised I've been getting payouts for those (though been a member quite a while, if that had any factor to do with it or that it's merely $1.50 extra a month).

Howie Crosby

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These tips are very much appreciated, I am using a few already. Why not use Trademarkia.com? I use this site as I get the results I want from a well written website, the rest I have found a not a presentable and professional. IMO. Thanks, Howie

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely avoid trademarks. Recently I could have grabbed a good COM variation of a new startup in auction but... they had it trademarked. Probably could have picked it up and sold it to the company. It could have gone the other way too though.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

L = Letter Ex. LLL.com (ASP.com)
NL = Number & Letter Ex. NLL.com (9GG.com)
N = Number Ex. NNN.com (999.com)

I would add C to that as sometimes you see it referenced as a character. I.E. CCC.com = H7A.com or 86G.com, though usually used more if it's a mixture of LNN (A88), NLL (8AA), NLN (8A8), LNL (A8A).

I wouldn't confuse it with C being a consonant and V being a vowel. These are typically advertised for LLLL names as CVCV (Lino), VCVC (Ahah), CVVC (Cook), VCCV (Ahho), etc.

Additionally, with LLLLs, you must factor in listings for AABB type names following patterns, etc.

With your "What to invest in", I would be cautious with LLLL.com. Some that are crappy (XYHZ.com) can sell for a high price, but you must wait it out. It's best to invest in a brandable CVCV as you see them everywhere (Hulu, Vuze, Vevo, etc.) and can have both a quicker turnaround with a higher yield. Some are "holders" IMO, such as the recent sale of FDFP for $2000 and TNRG for $4450. It may take a lot longer to make a successful sale like this on them, but I'd pick one up for ~$20ish and renew it year to year for $1.99-$8.49 as the loss wouldn't be substantial.

Some people say that with LLLL's, "no X, Y, Z", etc. However, these are popular Chinese characters and do sell for high amounts from time to time. If Chinese isn't your language, stay away from them until you get the patterns down.

For domain whois, Who.is is great, but have who.godaddy.com open as well. It sucks to do a whois to find that it's blocked by GoDaddy. Though, it will show nameservers and is useful to see if it's for sale on those venues (I.E. if you see ns1.sedoparking.com, you know to check Sedo for a listing).

For Flippa, I would remove "(developed websites)" as they do take domains only, but the general audience is looking for developed websites.

and *BUMP* because this is a good reference (OP)

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very nice job silentg! :)

I'd add some points tho-

-domaintools.com I find to be the most recommended whois from old domainers and very accurate.- I'd add Namejet to where you can sell your domains too .

- I don't think LNL and NLN make a good investment at all as they do not sell well.- Maybe you meant LNN? I agree with your NLL and any three-character ccc.com where you've got two of the same in a row like LL or NN but with a broken pattern like NLN and LNL the domain has to be very good imo,

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
- I forgot silentg

Why do you think LLL.com and NNN.com should be names to avoid? If someone's got the money for it why not, as the both of them will always sell very well -
-I do realize the NNN cost too much. Always have.

To the mod: sorry for the bump but please leave it up as he deserves it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators