• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

TM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what about Word Press posts, like if I had a blog called thingsthatsuck.com

And made a post called thingsthatsuck.com/2007/07/13/microsoft-very-bad/

I'm just curious to where it ends, especially with SEO friendly URLs,subdomains and all that.
 
I don't think that is a TM issue. You might face a libel charge, though.
 
I'm only using everything as an example
 
But what about Word Press posts, like if I had a blog called thingsthatsuck.com

And made a post called thingsthatsuck.com/2007/07/13/microsoft-very-bad/

I'm just curious to where it ends, especially with SEO friendly URLs,subdomains and all that.

It's not a crime to use the word "Microsft" if you're writing about Microsoft (the Redmond company), eg. in a blog.

If you assemble PC's that are capable of running the Microsoft Windows Software, you're usually allowed to inform about that.

If you bought a Microsoft Windows Licence and sell it, it's probably fair use to mention that it's a Microsoft Windows license.

But - if you use your blog for commercial promotion of your "Microsoft" Fabric Softener, you'll probably run into trouble, if you don't have an agreement with the company in Redmond.
 
Talking about a trademarked company is legitimate use. Fan sites, parody sites and critique sites like what you are suggesting are probably fine. This is a free country so you can speak your mind.

Just watch out of bad faith, making money off their trademark. If you show ads related to the trademarked term, that might raise a red flag.

Some companies are more aggressive at defending their TM than others.

Worst case scenario is you will get a letter from their lawyers then you can decide what to do and decide if you want to fight it. They can raise a stink with your ISP or even domain registrar.

You might want to seek legal advice if this is a big project that you will be investing lots of time and money.

Think big picture...can I sell this site to someone in good faith without having to look in your mailbox for a cease and desist letter?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom