Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Top 10 Reasons How NOT TO Invest into LLL.in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at all the LLL.in threads...seems like the 3 chars are flying off ...hundreds by the day. I was rushing to buy some, made a decent list, put it off, and half of it was gone within a few days. That made me even more paranoid and I started registering .ins asap.

However, there aren't really too many good lll.ins left out there, so I decided to make a quick list about WHY it's not good to invest in them.

1. The .IN registration rush is highly encouraged by DnForum members who have registered all the TOP names, and are just waiting for the buy out so they can resell for much higher prices.

2. If LLL.INs were really that profitable, prominent domainers (such as Elequa-is that how you spell his nickname?) would have snatched up all of them in an instant.

3. The resale potential is very low--especially to the end user--it might take many years before your domain will be in demand.

4. You will be better off paying $25 for a nice premium .in than 7 crappy ones.

5. Even if the buyout occurs very soon, it will be years until the domains will become profitable.

6.Unless you can buy over 100 domains, it's pointless--putting in $200 dollars seems nothing for 50 "potentially great" domains, but within a year, the maximum price for a crappy .in will not be able to cross $10-$20, and the renewal fees will be as high as $17.99 per domain.

7.Even if you put in the sum to renew your domains in a year, and sell them the next year, the $1,000 to 2,000 you will make is horrible compared to the amount of domains and the couple years you have to hold them for.

8. Can someone please tell me a useful function for a domain like XQU.in?

9. .asia is coming...

10. You will be much better off spending your money on a good .com or .net

Please feel free to critique my reasons or add any of your own. Thanks for reading my thread. Eager for opinions.

Paps.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good points except number 9. Another four legged turkey... "omg omg blahblah corporation is using .asia, my crappy.asia is worth a mint now!" oh I can't wait for it.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. You know, I actually think .asia will be worth something..their internet users are growing faster than anywhere else, plus I think the eastern world will really adapt to .asia, the westerners could care less about their ccTLDs, because everybody uses .com, but .asia can be a whole new world. Also, you will be much better off registering a crappy lll.asia than a crappy lll.in in my opinion.

gawnd

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you really saying just not to invest in crappy LLL.in's?
I agree if thats the case. Also, would add the importance of making culturally informed decisions.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey gawnd, thank's for correcting me--will edit the title. I just meant the LLL.INs that are left for registration....I'm sure owning Top.in isn't bad :)

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree.

.IN is everywhere in the Indian Mind space (and I'm in advertising). Tons of major companies, including international ones with operations in India are very happy to use the .in for local advertising. ( http://www.vodafone.in )

Its universally accepted as a decent 'vanity' domain for Indian companies, even if they own the .com. Its also a fairly popular extension for International companies.

Say you buy 200 'crappy' .ins for $4 each and renew for three years. 200x50=$10,000.

Now if you manage to sell a few of these, maybe 20, in this period for $600 ea. (I've sold a few 'non-premiums' at this price, even one with the dreaded Q) you've actually covered your entire cost and made a profit and you even have 90% of your domains available.

In four years I'm sure that the min. wholesale price will easily give you 4x-6x your reg fee plus renewal fee. Sell the balance at this and you've easily mutiplied your money 4-6 times over four years.

Now I'm not much into financial planning, but I can tell you that this is not bad in my books. Banks here pay 8% per year. Stocks I could make more, but where the market is, I also might loose a lot. Other financial systems like mutual funds / insurance / etc would not even make me 2x of the amount invested in four years.

The problem with LLL.in is that in India acronyms are mostly used by govt organisations and such, the mass market (read small business) has not woken up to the 'short' domain phenomena (coolhotmail.com anyone?).

Once they do wake up, you can be rest assured the demand for LLL.in will far outstrip that of LLL.com, specially with the prices being asked for the latter.

Its all a matter of how much you want to start with, how much you want to make. I'm not saying that its the best investment out there, but for people with a decent local connections the sky is the limit.

gawnd

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent post mediawizard. very insightful.
i'm in complete agreement that the full potential of .in will not be realized for another 3 years minimum. there is a lot of short term speculation that needs to get shaken out for the market to mature.

ps123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of big companies and prominent sites in India are already using .in or .co.in domains. Some like citibank.co.in and HSBC.co.in have been using them since last 3-5 years now. The question IMO is what to buy, a .in or a .co.in ?

.asia is still a long way away from establishing any track record of use. CCTLD domains are used by businesses to promote their businesses local to a particular country. Like HSBC.co.in is used for HSBC in India and HSBC.co.uk is used for customers based in UK. I am not sure what will HSBC do with HSBC.asia since their services differ from country to country and asia itself has many big countries.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. You know, I actually think .asia will be worth something..their internet users are growing faster than anywhere else, plus I think the eastern world will really adapt to .asia, the westerners could care less about their ccTLDs, because everybody uses .com, but .asia can be a whole new world. Also, you will be much better off registering a crappy lll.asia than a crappy lll.in in my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong but .in/.co.in is already well established in India.
And the Westerners DO care about their ccTLD mind you, just look at Europe or Latin America where often the local TLD even beats .com in acceptance (.de & .co.uk being prominent examples).
Clearly the future is bright for ccTLDs.
On the other hand .asia is unproven and unneeded (IMHO). I'm not putting a single penny into .asia.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing in my opinion:

The real test for LLL.in names will be when renewal comes around. If they start dropping like flies in an nuclear holocaust, well, then LLL.in has failed. But if over 80% of them stay regged, then I can say that LLL.in names will be worth a good buck.

Keep in mind that .in, as an extension, is very good. It can stand for inside, internet, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, and of course, India. I'm pretty sure many Indonesians and Iranians type in yahoo.in or google.in expecting to find their country's Google page.

As far as crappy LLL.in names are concerned. I don't know. I don't have any. I just have 21 LLL.in names with all good letters. But if 80% of the LLL.in names stay regged, then even the crappy ones might be worth something.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

.asia is a continent Tld. Does a continent really need it's own tld...no...especailly when every country on the continent has it's own ccTld. If I were living in Japan would I feel the need to only visit .asia websites...no, HongKong...no, Thailand...no, Korea...no, China...no...etc...etc...just as I would feel no need to visit .northamerica sites because I live in the US....and don't tell me you would like to buy .northamerica domains if they try to hawk those as well.

Then again, if you do really want to buy .asia, please do, just don't waste our time talking about them after you do :)

the westerners could care less about their ccTLDs, because everybody uses .com,

Huh? You might want to remind yourself what countries are considered "western" countries and then go take a look at their ccTLDs sites.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to launch a few wannabe sTLDs like .asia

Tell me if you like them

.nsam - for north and south america (So americans can also mean columbians)

.africa - for well, africa (so nigeria and south africa can be clubbed)

.mideast - I wonder who'll buy more, the Israelis or the Saudis.

.pacrim - eeks

and maybe even -

.eu (oops I think this one was already done)

No comments at all about .asia, I'm going to stay out of that one and put more money in .mobi, at least I like those four letters. ;)

The real test for LLL.in names will be when renewal comes around. If they start dropping like flies in an nuclear holocaust, well, then LLL.in has failed. But if over 80% of them stay regged, then I can say that LLL.in names will be worth a good buck.

Were you around for the last drop, I bought most of the catches at reseller prices, couldnt catch a single one myself.

Its how many premium are available = 0.

In fact, I wont be surprised if LLL.in are all gone by the end of the promo, I wonder how long it took for lll.com...

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Were you around for the last drop, I bought most of the catches at reseller prices, couldnt catch a single one myself.

Its how many premium are available = 0.

In fact, I wont be surprised if LLL.in are all gone by the end of the promo, I wonder how long it took for lll.com...

Wasn't this in February? 2006 & 2007?
I could not get any of the premium LLL than either :(
I believe any and all reasonable LLL.IN that drop now are snatched immediately - even at 'full' price!

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Don't be so quick to write off ccTLD, after .com the strong ccTLD are up there. The .co.uk is the com for the UK, and so on...

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rich.... perhaps they didn't teach you something in college.... Not all of the world speaks English..... Until .asia accepts IDNs don't expect much uptake from there.

ScottFish

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was amazed to see this post, so here's my response.

1. The .IN registration rush is highly encouraged by DnForum members who have registered all the TOP names, and are just waiting for the buy out so they can resell for much higher prices.

That's wrong, many LLL.in and .in buyers for that matter are end users, hence DNforum/NP traders have emerged simply to participate in the market.

2. If LLL.INs were really that profitable, prominent domainers (such as Elequa-is that how you spell his nickname?) would have snatched up all of them in an instant.

When was the last time you heard a "big" domainer telling you were all the gems are? In fact, If I were interested in buying LLL.in's in bulk, I'd start threads just like this one :)

3. The resale potential is very low--especially to the end user--it might take many years before your domain will be in demand.

End users are many of the buyers... the ones that aren't resold, are usually kept because they pay for themselves in a few months or weeks!

4. You will be better off paying $25 for a nice premium .in than 7 crappy ones.

I'd rather spend $250 on LLL.ins that get type in traffic and keep that revenue stream for several years.

5. Even if the buyout occurs very soon, it will be years until the domains will become profitable.

I've sold several LLL.ins for well over $200 ea. I bought them for about $12 ea. What was my ROI?

6.Unless you can buy over 100 domains, it's pointless--putting in $200 dollars seems nothing for 50 "potentially great" domains, but within a year, the maximum price for a crappy .in will not be able to cross $10-$20, and the renewal fees will be as high as $17.99 per domain.

..."crappy domains" does that include my NUC.in or CNY.in that have both made over $50 each this year in PPC revenue. I wouldn't sell these for less than 3.5 years revenue.

7.Even if you put in the sum to renew your domains in a year, and sell them the next year, the $1,000 to 2,000 you will make is horrible compared to the amount of domains and the couple years you have to hold them for.

If you can manage to resell a few during the next 12 months to pay for the renewals, then you're a smart domainer....

8. Can someone please tell me a useful function for a domain like XQU.in?

It looks like thats an airport code.

9. .asia is coming...

I'd be ignoring that and looking into IDNs.

10. You will be much better off spending your money on a good .com or .net

.in is a country level extension, what is .net? What do people expect when they type in a .net? If I typed in a .in domain, I would expect Indian companies, India related content, Possible Hindi language content, etc.

Please feel free to critique my reasons or add any of your own. Thanks for reading my thread. Eager for opinions.

there you go...

Paps.

wael

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Scottfish, excellent arguments and rebuttals. Really good to hear that you're making .in end user sales and earning PPC income as well.

Toker

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep this in mind tho, .In is the 2 LL postal code for Indiana and most surfers
in the US if asked think it means Indiana.

People in this Bizzz only think of it as India but I sold some big towns in Indiana
with the .In for a few hundred each..

Just a thought!

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't assume because a domain isn't regged, it's because the big guys have left it. They can't be looking everywhere at once. Just maybe you are the first one to think of it.

how long in the .in sale on for? Saw them for $4,95 at idotz, who else has them on sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener