Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Trade Mark in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A Trade Mark has been applied for in the United Kingdom (UK) for a 2 word generic name .. which i do not wish to mention at this stage.

This application has been applied for by a multi national company .. and by all reports it looks as if it will be granted .. the Company has applied for the 2 word term for use on the internet and data transmission.

This corporation does not appear to even have a web presence or a URL that is indicative of the common 2 word term .. if it is granted .. which is allmost a forgone conclusion it could have alarming ramifictions thru-out the World for those who have the 2 word term included in their URL.

Wolf

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are the two words?

Sportacle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AMERICAR
.. if it is granted .. which is allmost a forgone conclusion it could have alarming ramifictions thru-out the World for those who have the 2 word term included in their URL.

I am unsure as to why you would assume it will have "alarming ramifications". While not an expert on intellectual property, I think the first issue to be considered would be the first date that this company claims they have been using this term in association with their product or service.

I would also argue that a second issue would be whether or not others with this same term are using it to represent confusingly similar services.

I would also argue that geographic location has a large role to play.

In conclusion, I as others, have come across countless generic terms that are trademarked in association with a product or service when performing searches at the USPTO website. While the nature of the trademark may seem generic, it is (from what I have come across) tied to a specific product or service.

An example used on another thread was "Tide", as in the detergent.

Having said this, I would love to know the two word generic term you are speaking of, and maybe more importantly the details of the product or service they claim it is tied to.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sportacle

I am unsure as to why you would assume it will have "alarming ramifications". While not an expert on intellectual property, I think the first issue to be considered would be the first date that this company claims they have been using this term in association with their product or service.

I would also argue that a second issue would be whether or not others with this same term are using it to represent confusingly similar services.

I would also argue that geographic location has a large role to play.

In conclusion, I as others, have come across countless generic terms that are trademarked in association with a product or service when performing searches at the USPTO website. While the nature of the trademark may seem generic, it is (from what I have come across) tied to a specific product or service.

An example used on another thread was "Tide", as in the detergent.

Having said this, I would love to know the two word generic term you are speaking of, and maybe more importantly the details of the product or service they claim it is tied to.

I know what the trademark is but I won't mention it, since Americar hasn't. The company has used it extensively in association with some of their products for a number of years. However it's two very generic words that together make a very generic phrase, which is only describable using these two words in this form.

Personally I don't believe they have shown significant secondary meaning to warrant being granted the TM.

Americar, why not post it? I reckon you may as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom