Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Trademark Domains In Different Language - Are They Still Trademarked?

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got a solid answer to this?

If I were to register a trademarked domain with the same meaning but different words, because of its being in a different language, what is the situation? For example, if I were to register Facebook in the Irish language, is this a transgression of a trademark? The result would be something like this: leabhaghaidh.com - neither pronounceable nor catchy, I think you will agree, although whether that would make a difference I don't know. I suppose the issue is, can the spirit of a name be trademarked rather than just the look and sound?

Domain summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMHO:
One thing to consider is how you intend to use the domain. Social networking of even posting pictures online is pretty much ruled out... This is the same segment of activity as FB.
The example you quoted is a major, widely-known TM. So I think any derived domains is more or less neutered.
Imagine I register pomme.fr to offer computer-related supplies or services... this is a no-no.
Not legal advice of course.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMHO:
One thing to consider is how you intend to use the domain. Social networking of even posting pictures online is pretty much ruled out... This is the same segment of activity as FB.
The example you quoted is a major, widely-known TM. So I think any derived domains is more or less neutered.
Imagine I register pomme.fr to offer computer-related supplies or services... this is a no-no.
Not legal advice of course.

Thanks for the considered response, Katherine. That wouldn't be much good, then, even if it weren't to be a social networking site. I don't know of any website nowadays where images aren't posted. So presumably that rules out any kind of social networking website that uses the word "visage" or "reading material" or similar. What I had in mind was a parody site, though not of Facebook.

I do understand about pomme.com, although I would have thought that was a generic name anyway.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators