Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Trademark Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Skylark! You have been a tremendous help. I will check this out thouroughly. As I noted, this is not a name worth devoting a lot of time and energy to. I will probably just quietly dump it. It is an area I need to learn about though - I still believe in the Boy Scout motto - Be Prepared!

Domain summit 2024

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everyone in the domain business should read the book "Trademarks: How to Name Your Business and Product" from Nolo Press http://www.nolo.com .

United Airlines, United Van Lines, United Fruit. Multiple companies sharing a trade name used to be common. I wont go into everything covered by the book, but everyone here should buy and read the book. It is outstanding. I used it to get a Federal registration on hiOsilver , the name of my company. http://www.hiosilver.com

If you use a non-obvious but trademarked domain for a legitimate purpose, you have little to worry about. The most you are likely to lose is the name, and that is not likely. The longer you use a name, and the more alternative domains for the TM holder, the less likely they will bother with you. In general, lawyers cost a lot and only really valuable names are worth reverse-hijacking by TM holders.

I sold TampaBayMagazine.com to Tampa Bay Magazine for a modest sum, and they were happy to deal with me. When I regged it, I did not know of the magazine. I had a real purpose in regging it, but never got around to using it. The magazine owner was a lawyer, so he knew it was better to buy from me than hire a TM lawyer. You do have to be careful about how you handle these situations. It is best if you can get them to make an offer, rather than you naming a price.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks HL - excellent advice and I will get the book. I live in the Tampa Bay area. Congrats on the magazine sale. I have seen their magazine and it is high quality. The site name would have been a smart purchase for them as they have a quality product that is worth branding across all media.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HL - I just checked out the Nolo site. Not finding that booik under the title you have. Could it be:

Trademark Basics for Naming Your Small Business?

Says it has domain info in that book too.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never Mind HL!. I found the book under the title you listed at Half.com. It is now out of print, however I picked up a used copy for under $5. A couple of sellers at Amazon also have used copies under $5 so if others want the book, check both venues and you can find it cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators