Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

UNBELIEVABLE!!! An attorney/previous domain owner is trying to extort me!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Draggar. Yes....I already have the BAR info ready for just in case this guy decides to actually try to litigate. I will then let them know about his plan to extort me.

Just in case?? You have enough to go on. Write that letter! He is very unprofessional as a lawyer and seems to be attempting to bully you into transferring the domain. Cut off contact immediately as he has no leg to stand on and turn him in.

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@NameHoney. Yes....i already cut communication entirely. Going through my attorney now for all communication, but I highly doubt he will ever contact me again after the last letter my attorney sent him. hehehe. As for filing a complaint with the BAR. I am always the "nice guy" even when someone wrongs me....and would hate to do something so final even to this guy(and yes...he was trying to bully me into transferring to him). I am hoping he changes his ways...but if not, I am prepared to go to the BAR with this info.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am hoping he changes his ways...but if not, I am prepared to go to the BAR with this info.

Unfortunately, I doubt that and the only thing you are doing is "passing it" on to the next person to deal with. At least I hope he leaves you alone now.

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@doc com: my domain attorney did a whois history and found that the previous admin before expiration was a business registration company. Kinda like a one stop shopping place for when u want to set up a biz.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would do this also...they will lock it down and ask questions later.

If it's at GD transfer it out immediately.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am completely devistated by the traumatic situation created by the unethical behavior of a BAR admitted attorney.
My sleep is interrupted, I can no longer hold down a job, my sex life has been destroyed, and I have been somewhat suicidal in light of the various threats he has made...........

I think you understand !

Good luck,
Enterpryzman

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah...this approach usually results in the guy never getting the name.

I have had similar threats...they usually come at you big and bad, then whine, then put in a low ball offer, then call you a low life, then whine, then cuss at you, then plead with you, the become your best coolest friend, then cuss you out, then...well you get the point - it goes nowhere...best to stop responding after initial threat

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Final Update:

The guy has sent me a letter of apology.

Here's the deal. He says he had in his records that the domain was to expire in 2010. When he logged in to renew it, it was not in his account(it actually expired in 2009, and I got it at auction). he did a whois and saw that the domain still had a 2005 reg date, but was in someone else's name. He thought immediately it had been stolen....hence the threats of legal action. (he had no idea that domains at TDNAM kept original reg date). When he got the facts from my attorney, he realized what had happened. He has now sent a letter of apology. I do not approve of the way he handled this, but I do appreciate the fact that he at least apologized for being in the wrong.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice, now reply the attorney fee's are something that you incurred as a result of his mistake and see how sorry he really is :)

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@Draggar. Actually he said he realized what happened now and he was wrong and sorry for his actions and he'd like to buy the domain back

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Draggar. Actually he said he realized what happened now and he was wrong and sorry for his actions and he'd like to buy the domain back

I seriously think that if he thought you stole the domain from him the communications would have been very different. He seems like the type of person who thinks he can push anyone to get what he wants and only changed his tune when you fought back with some very hard evidence. IMO he's only sorry because you fought back.

Personally I'd still write the bar about him - he acted extremely unprofessional (but that's just me - I guess he's lucky you're not me :) ).

everydayprofit

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah.....I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll see what happens. Hehe.

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eh, forgive and forget. I'd still sell it to him...but the price just went to double what you thought the domain was worth. :) Lack of manners is expensive.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

That is actually a pretty fantastic negotiating stance for him to take.....did you ever think he is now trying to play you in another way since you did not back down from his threats ? I think he is not only a dishonest sleeze ball, he is a master negotiater playing on your sympathy and forgiveness now.

Just my 2 cents, good luck,
Enterpryzman

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definately and if he does turn out to be an attorney I'm sure the BAR would LOVE to hear about this (if he is in the USA, that is).

Draggar, I love it.

@everydayprofit - this isn't legal advice as I am not an attorney, but I say don't waste your time with this clown. It's my understanding that as the supposed "victim" of your "infringement", the onus is on HIM to come up with proof that your actions are injurious to his trademark, and then it is up to him to quantify damages.

IngvarG

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had this happen about 6-7 years ago. I caught a nice lawyer domain and hand-regged it. It is now my main lawyer niche website corporate domain. Anyway, a couple of weeks later I got an email from a lawyer in England. Same story. But after I explained that the domain expired he got back to me and said his web geek had forgotten to renew. So he had me evaluate the domain and was going to sure the geek for neglect. Cool.

I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom