NEWS Uni joins GoDaddy - your thoughts and comments?

Viator

Exclusive Member
Nov 2, 2008
Switzerland
www.nametactic.com
Half an hour ago, I have received a message from Uniregistry with (for me) unexpected news:

GoDaddy announces its acquisition of Uni Registrar, Marketplace, and Portfolio.

More information can be found there:
https://uniregistry.com/blog/post/better-together

Obviously, I have an account with both, but currently I do not have any domain registered with GoDaddy. On the other hand, I have a majority of my domain names in my Uniregistry account. I find it convenient, and I have sold a few names on their marketplace (very easy process).

While it is true that GoDaddy is a major player, I can see few similarities between both companies. I have always found it easy to manage domain names in my Uni account, while I have never felt enthusiastic about GoDaddy. The Uni blog post announces that nothing will change in the near future, but more details should come in a few weeks. True, from the domaining angle, the new alliance may bring some additional benefits. Let's see.

I am curious to know if some people on this forum have comments or background information to share about this new development.

GeorgeG

Jan 25, 2020
Bulgaria
Half an hour ago, I have received a message from Uniregistry with (for me) unexpected news:

Obviously, I have an account with both, but currently I do not have any domain registered with GoDaddy. On the other hand, I have a majority of my domain names in my Uniregistry account. I find it convenient, and I have sold a few names on their marketplace (very easy process).

While it is true that GoDaddy is a major player, I can see few similarities between both companies. I have always found it easy to manage domain names in my Uni account, while I have never felt enthusiastic about GoDaddy. The Uni blog post announces that nothing will change in the near future, but more details should come in a few weeks. True, from the domaining angle, the new alliance may bring some additional benefits. Let's see.

I am curious to know if some people on this forum have comments or background information to share about this new development.

Doc

Exclusive Member
Mar 12, 2009
Here With You

If GD/ Afternic adopts Uni's user interface, they will improve massively. On the other hand inventory with Uni should become available on GD.

Viator

Exclusive Member
Nov 2, 2008
Switzerland
www.nametactic.com
Literally posted about this 10 minutes ago. Not sure how to delete my thread tho, so it aint a duplicate.
Sorry! Before starting to write my post, I had been careful to check that nobody had already posted the same news. But by the time I clicked on "Post reply", you had apparently just posted it yourself. Don't worry about duplicates, this is bound to happen with such news of interest to many of us.

robmonster

Exclusive Member
Aug 15, 2010
Seattle
Back on December 31, I posted a set of predictions for 2020. Here are 2 of them:

• Godaddy restructuring: During Q1 2020, Godaddy announces housecleaning -- takes out $2 billion of intangible trash. Stock gets rocked. Private equity players directed by Fadi Chehade are in the mix

• Industry consolidation: Look for DAN, Efty, Escrow.com and Uniregistry all to be acquired in 2020. Godaddy will be a buyer of innovation as they throw in the towel on building great tech internally.
I believe Escrow.com is next on the shopping list.

Looking for the Uniregistry gTLDs to land at Donuts shortly.

Viator

Exclusive Member
Nov 2, 2008
Switzerland
www.nametactic.com
Back on December 31, I posted a set of predictions for 2020. Here are 2 of them:

• Godaddy restructuring: During Q1 2020, Godaddy announces housecleaning -- takes out $2 billion of intangible trash. Stock gets rocked. Private equity players directed by Fadi Chehade are in the mix

• Industry consolidation: Look for DAN, Efty, Escrow.com and Uniregistry all to be acquired in 2020. Godaddy will be a buyer of innovation as they throw in the towel on building great tech internally.
I believe Escrow.com is next on the shopping list.

Looking for the Uniregistry gTLDs to land at Donuts shortly.
Thank you very much for those insights - I have not been a frequent visitor on this forum recently, and I had missed your Dec. 31 predictions.
Yes, I have also heard about Escrow.com possibly being the next on the list.

amplify

DJW.NET
Exclusive Member
Sep 15, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
www.djw.net
No wonder why they yanked my $8.67 .coms for promoting them heavily, wherein I left in protest (I think I have maybe 5 more domains to move over).

They wanted renewals to end 2019 on a high note. But, they lost all mine. And, hopefully, everyone else's that was supposed to be grandfathered into their $8.67 tiered discounts (from what I could tell, very few had the discounts applied after the purge and Topcoin, which was still earned on top of $8.67 renewals and purchases, was useless at bringing down their ridiculous $10.99 .coms).

robmonster

Exclusive Member
Aug 15, 2010
Seattle
The earnings call for Godaddy is on Thursday at 5 pm ET:

https://event.on24.com/wcc/r/2151403/8C470F67A128AD76B15CDF718B2AD6E5

Let's see if they announce a restructuring.

Also, the word on the street about the Uni deal is that the purchase price was $350 million. Although the deal does not officially close until June, I would expect them to disclose details on consideration and structure.

Keep an eye out for SEC filings:

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-...exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany

There should be some disclosure soon as the transaction is material.

eRise

Sep 12, 2018
Nigeria
If GD/ Afternic adopts Uni's user interface, they will improve massively. On the other hand inventory with Uni should become available on GD.
Exactly, for Godaddy, it seems to be a wise decision, as Uniregistry could fill up the missing features in their products and services (especially the UI - dashboard, landing page, etc.). However, the question still remains, 'will that provide more opportunities to people in the industry?' I wish it has some benefits to the average domainers out there, and not been a means to monopolize stream.