Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.US is flying !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. .US has had as many registrations as .INFO & .BIZ combined over the last 24 hours reported. Since those are both worldwide top level domains that is more than a little surprising!

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The new State of the Domains report dated Oct 24, 2002 reflected a similar advance. 3rd quarter registrations in the .us ccTLD outpaced the .biz and is getting close to the .infos.

Doc

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yesterday.. .US had more than 200 new registrations than .info and .biz .. just seems to really taking off..

I think more and more people are understanding the significance of owning a .US.. today "trickjohn" posted this http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9683

The part I find interesting is that neither are >US< based ..but their they are fighting over .US ..it's like getting your foot in the door to the wealthiest countryt on earth..it's importance ..the importance of getting a .US domain seems to have an international following..

I'll follow and update...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
USA! USA! :)

This is almost better than the 1980 Olympic hockey gold medal!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, I'm sure the registry's decision to drop the registration requirement from 2 years to 1 helped give .US a little goose. I pick one up every now and then for future use (I think in 5 years they will be very commonly used and good names picked up today will look like very good buys in hindsight).

Motivated by your news tidbit I picked one up today in fact - MusicService.us.

It is registered in all other TLD's, even crappy ones like .WS and .CC. I think music is moving from a store model to a service model with downloading becoming more and more the preferred means of delivery.

One of these days the labels will quit shooting themselves in the feet and put together a music service people will actually buy. By the time that happens .US should be well established and I think this will be a valuable name.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, I have to do more research on the wine sites - meaning drink a bottle or two a day for the next year or so!

Music will always be around of course but the method of delivery will change. Just as it went from Edison cylinders to 78s to LP's to CD's to MP3's, it will keep evolving. The service model looks like the next stop. They have to make it work because CD sales have been dying for the last two years (and thousands of record stores along with them)

M

mole

.BIZ numbers have really been pumping these days on whoisreport.com

I've noticed more and more established .com addresses by major companies starting to redirect .biz to their sites, and not let it land on a 404.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole what happened to the dancing girls!! No offense but this new avatar looks like a turd wrapped in tissue paper! (Of course, I am being especially vicious because you have banished the girls!) :)

M

mole

Originally posted by Duke of Earl
No offense but this new avatar looks like a turd wrapped in tissue paper!

Sigh. I am wot you described. :sad:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Sigh. I am wot you described. :sad:

:laugh: I can see why you would have to change. Keeping those girls happy 24 hours a day would be a tall order for any man! :)

Gumby

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why is it that the United State's Country Code domain is considered a top level domain?!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is not a TLD. I see in an post above I typed that when I meant country code domains.

Another indication that .US is catching on is that most of the good three-letter domains have been registered. You can no longer find one with the strongest letters like A C E I N S etc unless it is with x y z or something. I know because I checked the entire list of unregistered 3-letters and registered the last few I thought were worthwhile over the weekend. I did leave a couple that were not bad and may go back for them. However, when I was doing just that Sunday, a lot of the ones that I was interested in (that were there the previous week) were gone.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SteveK
Why is it that the United State's Country Code domain is considered a top level domain?!

All global, and country codes are TLD's the global ones are usually referred to as simply TLD, the Country codes are further clarified as ccTLD's.

A Top Level Domain is simply the domain ending after the last dot. For example: fourthlevel.thirdlevel.secondlevel.tld

There are basically three recognized classes of TLD's, Global, County Code, and Restricted. The TLD could be a two character county code like .us, .tv or .uk; a three or four character global TLD like .com, or .info; or a restricted TLD like .mil, .edu, aero or .museum that is reserved for government or member organizations.

Some county codes have commercialized to various extents such as .tv and .cc that have leased the names for total unrestricted commerical use. Some like .us and .uk are open to citizens or those with a connection to the country, and some are very restricted and kept solely for citizens or even only the government itself in some asian and european countries.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mark is totally correct. I originally referred to the country codes correctly as TLDs, but meant to clarify for Steve K by saying they are ccTLD's (and still missed conveying the point correctly). Mark hit it all right on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom