Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

duceman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I hand reged FloridaMLS.us. I noticed that the .mobi was taken and couldn't believe that someone would take the .mobi over the .us (or not both). That got me to thinking that it really seems like the .US threads have come to a hault since the launch of .mobi. I've invested a bit in Mobi but I don't see it becoming what it is said to be.

Maybe this is the time to start grabbing up some mid level .us while no-one is looking :smilewinkgrin:

any thoughts?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I think .mobi could be a good a thing after all.
While people are looking the other way I will continue to quietly register .com & .us domains :cheesy:

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Comparing .mobi to .us is like comparing apples to oranges. I doubt highly that the success or failure of .mobi will have any effect on .us demand or prices.

- Rob

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi is the current darling of the industry. However, .us will continue to rise steadily. I expect the same to happen to .in in 2007.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Comparing .mobi to .us is like comparing apples to oranges. I doubt highly that the success or failure of .mobi will have any effect on .us demand or prices.

- Rob

I think Mobi has impacted many of the domain sales on the "wholesale" domainer to domainer sales level. This impact will be felt for some time but the huge surge from the landrush is settling down.

That said I agree with duceman that now is the time to be looking at dot us and possibly other tlds like dot biz and dot TV. I call it "the path of least resistance"

A year and a half ago I started investing in dot TV because I thought the Dot TV market was very soft. I started picking up names like WestVirginia.tv, WashingtonDC.tv and others like LifeInsurance.tv , CosmeticSurgery.tv etc.
I consider them at least a 3 year hold as far as investments go.

I got into Mobi about 6 months before the landrush not so much as I thought it would be successful but because I didnt see anyone speaking about it and those that were talking were bashing it. My initial thoughts were "even if MOBI is a terrible failure there is a possibility of grabbing a few top keywords since there is very few people interested.

After I started to research I realized not only had I found the path of least resistance but that most people (myself included) had false impressions and no real clue as to how important this tld could be. Obviously this TLD can still fail. It is still very speculative and I'd recommend not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Also newbies investing in Mobi or other TLDs really need to ask themselves; "Would I buy this domain as an end user and try to develop it?"
If you can honestly answer yes after thinking it through then reg it.

Otherwise don't waist your money. This is coming form a guy who wasted plenty on crappy domains and just trying to help you save your money.

You are better off saving your money and investing in a higher quality domain be it dot info ,dot com , dot biz or dot whatever than buying a single word domain just becuase it's one word. What works for com does not necessarily carry over to the other tlds.

When Traffic hit Miami on October I went thinking I would buy a top dot mobi like Hot , Fun , Flowers, StockQuotes , for a steal. Instead it was just like Ron stated in the DN Journal people's jaws were dropping, mine as well as these names hit figures unheard of for a new TLD.

I then switched to plan B at Traffic and scoured the Silent auction list looking for the diamond keyword in the TLD boneyard. I found austin.biz and quietly (almost silently ) bid and bought the domain. Most peoples response to my purchase has been pretty silent also ;) but that's ok. I still think it was a great buy from the standpoint of developing but not for holding for resale.

I think IDNs due to the necessity of the investor to comprehend a foreign language and text represent a great "soft spot" for those that are dedicated to THOROUGHLY COMPREHENDING idns and are willing to do the research necessary.

Personally I am intimidated by IDNs and do not trust my ability to make a good investment. Hopefully this will change as I consider IDNs somewhat the "intellectual domain" almost sophisticated if I may say so, as it shows a domain investor has a working knowledge of a different language AND culture.

That said I hope you find a path of least resistance Duceman.

Cheers,

C.T. Kirkpatrick
aka: Think

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still don't see it. Certainly my .us sales are not down in the slightest since the launch of .mobi. I could understand if you were comparing .mobi against .mp or some related TLD but against .US, a ccTLD? .mobi and .us are two VERY different extensions.

- Rob

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I still don't see it. Certainly my .us sales are not down in the slightest since the launch of .mobi. I could understand if you were comparing .mobi against .mp or some related TLD but against .US, a ccTLD? .mobi and .us are two VERY different extensions.

- Rob

I have to disagree on that point Rob. I think one can compare any TLD with any ccTLD. Just make sure we're comparing same criteria. Are we comparing recent sales trend or stediness of sells? These are the questions we must ask ourselves. Is it short term consideration or long term? Irrational exuberance or wise investments? Etc etc.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oddly I have picked up some of my best .com's and .net's since mobi launch. It seems the rush to buy mobi has left some domainers in need of money. :)

I grabbed sportsforum.net just a few days ago for what I felt was a very reasonable price. I ain't complaining.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I ain't complaining neither Labrocca. I picked up RegisteredNurses.us for an extremely low x price. But I did make sure I stayed in the .mobi game too.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't have as much Dot US as I do Biz, TV, and Info so I am looking more at my attempts to wholesale them here at DNF during the Mobi rush rahter than solely dot US .

I couldn't sell anything in the alternate extensions (with the exception of 3 letter) and just abandoned the idea of selling them for awhile.

End user sales for Dot US and other tlds seem to be very strong at the auction houses like Sedo and Afternic and for me as well but wholesale here are flat other than traffic and mobi.

Sorry for the long winded posts.

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't have as much Dot US as I do Biz, TV, and Info so I am looking more at my attempts to wholesale them here at DNF during the Mobi rush rahter than solely dot US .

I couldn't sell anything in the alternate extensions (with the exception of 3 letter) and just abandoned the idea of selling them for awhile.

End user sales for Dot US and other tlds seem to be very strong at the auction houses like Sedo and Afternic and for me as well but wholesale here are flat other than traffic and mobi.

Sorry for the long winded posts.

Hey, long winded posts is what we're here for! More discussion is better for everyone.

Look, I think if you really examine the buying patterns, you'll see
that LLL.us is just undergoing a normal stabilization that happens after a big run up. I think NOW is the time to buy as the prices normalize before another big run up.

The end user sales are undeniable signs of the validity of the .us, and any temporary weakness is just that, temporary. Now is the time to buy (in my opinion), and to seek other good stable investments. I'm looking at .in in this respect as the next one to sell out and see a run up.

duceman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the "buy now" point Mikesherov. I've been in the .us since its launch. I remember people dumping good LLL.us at Afternic for $10 and $20 dollars!!

Just as we saw a 100% increase in LLL.us value in 2007 I think we'll see at least the same in 2007. I also think we will see crappy one worders stop selling for $10 and move to the $30-50 range.

- Rob
The reason for my origanal post was just to get more discussion about .us going again. But if you really think about it, all of the tld's are just like stocks to us (domainers). Some you buy to hold and some you buy to ride a trend. What I was saying about .us is that because the majority of the .us domains are just bought and sold between domainers, we make the market. If there is high demand for a stock then the price will go up. If the stock falls out of favor then the price will stay constant or go down. When Mobi came in it didn't bring "new" money to the game. All it did was filter off some of the funds that used to be spent on existing extentions.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But why .us in particular? Sure some people have been spending there cash on .mobi domains but the knock on effect of that (if there is one) would affect all extensions right, not just .us.

- Rob

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But why .us in particular? Sure some people have been spending there cash on .mobi domains but the knock on effect of that (if there is one) would affect all extensions right, not just .us.

- Rob

exactly. tbh i rarely see .us selling anywhere ,anyway, tbh :undecided:
Pred ;)

duceman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

- Rob
Ahhh, I get your point now :) . The only reason I linked the two is simply because this is the .us thread and I'm a .us supporter. I had just noticed that LLL.us that would be snatched up in under 2 minutes 6 months ago were sitting around for days on the sales threads.

paymaster7

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look, I think if you really examine the buying patterns, you'll see
that LLL.us is just undergoing a normal stabilization that happens after a big run up. I think NOW is the time to buy as the prices normalize before another big run up.

SHHH!!! SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! ;)

No, no 3 letter .us's have no value. I'll give you $10 for any you have, though. Because I'm such a nice guy.........

Deleted member 4749

Knowledge is Power
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ccTlds are on the rise and there is nothing that can stop it.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ccTlds are on the rise and there is nothing that can stop it.

yup,,

just look at Top 100 global sites in ALexa's ,close to half of All sites are cctld;s

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators