Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Using .ca for an American audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have any of you bought/registered a .ca domain with the intention of focusing on an American audience rather than a Canadian one?

For instance, a fellow domainer mentioned to me that he believed some Americans mistake .ca to be a state-based domain extension (eg California).

If you have used a .ca for a US audience can you please share with us your experience? Is the traffic mostly from America? Has it made any money?

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a few California locations in .ca and they absolutely get US traffic. The issue is how to monetize it.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Build webpages about those California locations and put adsense on them. They will pull in ads for the local area. Perfect Geo domains.

I notice in Google keywords if you type in 'ca' you get a lot of California cities with 'ca' added, like 'san francisco ca', 'san diego ca', 'hollywood ca'.

If someone does a search for 'san diego ca', would sandiego.ca get pulled up in a search like that?

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Build webpages about those California locations and put adsense on them. They will pull in ads for the local area. Perfect Geo domains.

I notice in Google keywords if you type in 'ca' you get a lot of California cities with 'ca' added, like 'san francisco ca', 'san diego ca', 'hollywood ca'.

If someone does a search for 'san diego ca', would sandiego.ca get pulled up in a search like that?

I typed in "San Diego Ca" into Google.com (not google.ca) and nothing came up.

But typing "SanDiego.Ca" brought up "SanDiego.ca"

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of California cities in .ca are parked, I wonder if they were developped and had some Seo work, would they show up in searches like that.

This is interesting: http://www.co.fresno.ca.us

Seems others cities have the same ca.us extension too

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The traffic comes from people who forget to type the .gov typically

the domains are XXXXXX.ca.gov so you get that traffic

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even for the (rare) intelligent American who realizes that a .ca is a Canadian ccTLD, it still isn't necessarily a turn-off.

I don't mean to sound like a marketing machine here but it's been long recognized that "Canada" is seen as a trusted brand around the world. Personally in a choice between a completely obscure my-company-4u.com (or something along those lines) vs mycompany.ca, I would definitely go for the .ca ccTLD... even if you were targeting an international audience.

Which brings up a bigger question... what about people from OUTSIDE North America? Perhaps they are even more likely to do business with a .ca than with a .com business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators