• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Vegas.sg

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndonmaxewell

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
555
Reaction score
1
Las Vegas Sands Corp. , the world's biggest casino operator by market capitalization won the bid for Singapore's first casino licence.
It will be the most expensive casino as at completion at a cost of more than S$5 billion (US$3.2 billion).

In other words, this will be Singapore's very own first VEGAS (casino i meant)! Just regged the name for the extension. 'Vegas' as a term is popular in many extensions, and what with Las Vegas Corp developing the casino in Singapore, it is rather befitting of the local extension.

Would you like to appraise this name?
 
I am sure they have a very good idea of the name for the new casino site, but hey with the PPC agregators might get some cash!
 
So try to contact them. I really don´t have any idea what a .sg could be worth with this potential.
 
Of course, with vegas as a premium keyword commonly used in relation to gambling, and with the Las Vegas company developing N running it, i believe there's potential.

Putting aside the extension, it in fact fits well because of the ccTLD itself and the location of the building of the FIRST legalised casino for Singapore. Any other opinions?
 
Singapore being as highly commercialized as it is and with business folks being as canny as they are over there, I would say it has pluses and minuses: Plus because the company would not worry about price to get a name that totally makes sense (i.e. Vegas.sg), minus because they may not feel like paying a premium price for a regged name, and just come up with their own idea. Just 2 cents. But I think it's a really smart move.
 
Dzordz said:
i totaly agree

thanks Dzordz, same here.


Foodie said:
Singapore being as highly commercialized as it is and with business folks being as canny as they are over there, I would say it has pluses and minuses: Plus because the company would not worry about price to get a name that totally makes sense (i.e. Vegas.sg), minus because they may not feel like paying a premium price for a regged name, and just come up with their own idea. Just 2 cents. But I think it's a really smart move.

Hmm.. you do have a point or two there. What with a big player, and a Plus being a Foreign company, the fiancial capital is there. Of course no doubt on them coming up with their own ideas, however with Vegas as part of their name, who knows? :wink_smile:

At least, Vegaslising is soon to come.. :welcome:

Thanks for the compliment, btw. I would like to hear more thoughts from the rest?
 
I agree with in your opinion! :bathbaby:

lyndonmaxewell said:
Of course, with vegas as a premium keyword commonly used in relation to gambling, and with the Las Vegas company developing N running it, i believe there's potential.

Putting aside the extension, it in fact fits well because of the ccTLD itself and the location of the building of the FIRST legalised casino for Singapore. Any other opinions?
 
Preoccupy said:
I agree with in your opinion! :bathbaby:

Thanks. So far i've been receiving fair thoughts and suggestions on what to do with the domain, just thought perharps a valuation (figures) included in the appraisal discussion would be more appropriate? Appreciate all valuable feedback so far.

Would anyone wish to give a fair value to the name, after all the discussion so far?
 
MalaysiaDN said:
Maybe you want read about this article first?
http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/94735.htm

Thanks for your article, but i do not know where you are coming from. (From it, i can see that the Respondent won if that's what you want to tell me?)

Firstly, Genting is not a dictionary word, while vegas is.
Vegas means "The brightest star in the constellation Lyra." I believe there is no infringement of Trademark if that is what you are trying to imply. Vegas as a word is available in all extensions owned by different people.

Would like to hear from others?
 
Singapore is a small country,and as I know it seems that .com is more popular than .sg in Singapore,and maybe TM problem of this domain. So IMO the value is
not much,but it will maybe more valuable later if there is no TM problem.
 
There is no TM problem with this domain. I seriously doubt anyone would take this to court or arbitration. The .sg extension is the only thing that brings the value of this domain down. I would say anywhere from $1000-$5000 USD, depending on the buyer.
 
wangjinhk said:
I know it seems that .com is more popular than .sg in Singapore
Needless to say, .com is more popular compared to ccTLD anytime, anywhere.


skrrrd said:
There is no TM problem with this domain. I seriously doubt anyone would take this to court or arbitration. The .sg extension is the only thing that brings the value of this domain down. I would say anywhere from $1000-$5000 USD, depending on the buyer.
skrrrd, thanks for your input in solidifying this stand. No doubt its value cannot be compared to the DOT com, as like all other ccTLDs. I'll keep that in mind, for the other party.

Interesting inputs so far, any others?
 
lyndonmaxewell said:
Thanks for your article, but i do not know where you are coming from. (From it, i can see that the Respondent won if that's what you want to tell me?)

Firstly, Genting is not a dictionary word, while vegas is.
Vegas means "The brightest star in the constellation Lyra." I believe there is no infringement of Trademark if that is what you are trying to imply. Vegas as a word is available in all extensions owned by different people.

Would like to hear from others?


lyndonmaxewell, i am from malaysia and i think you are right.
 
No one can TM "Vegas" - period.
 
skrrrd said:
No one can TM "Vegas" - period.

thanks, hope that you just affirm it..

The gambling industry is growing by the day, with Singapore soon to be in line as well with its own .
Could I get any more appraisals for an estimated value of the name?
 
It seems not too many are comfortable giving you a $ appraisal. It's one of those wait-and-see names. Good wait-and-see, but definitely speculative. I, also, was born in Malaysia, and heartily agree about differences between Genting and Vegas.
 
I am surprised that Singapore allows casinos now.
I go there often on business, and last time I checked, they didnt allow chewing gum!
Heck, I couldnt light up a cigarette unless I was in a "special" area!
How does this go with the domain?
well, what does vegas have to do with Singapore?
Can you smoke in the casino there?
Can you chew gum?
and finally, it sure will never be Vegas.

I can not see the relation, sorry.
as for the keyword, it definately has some value, but I am faraid not what is expected.
In any case, I wish you the best of luck with it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom