Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Verisign Hoarding Expired Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

penpen

Verisign is Hoarding Expired Domain Names

Background
Recently I needed a domain name, and discovered it had expired several months ago but was still not available for registration. So I tried an alternative... same thing. I started to hunt around for info on expired names and here's what I found...

Verisign holds 1.7 million expired names
Here's a section of Verisigns March 19 10K filing:
"During 2001, we added approximately 4.1 million new domain names and renewed or extended an additional 4.9 million domain names bringing the total active domain names under management by the Registrar to approximately 13.6 million at December 31, 2001, which does not include approximately 1.7 million domain names past their anniversary dates that have been deactivated from the zone files but not yet deleted from the Web presence services WHOIS database."
Why is Verisign holding these names?
I discovered that Verisign has been pushing for something called the Wait List Proposal which is basically a way to auction off names for a higher price than they would normally be sold for.

Example names & more comments
Take a look at this positing on the DNSO mailing list for a fuller explanation of what is happening and a big list of hoarded names:
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc09/msg01270.html

Anyway... I'd love to here anyone else's experiences in this area. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

Domain summit 2024

You are right-on here. They actually have domains going back to 1998 that have expired and not dropped...

Want to see the motivation?

The WLS will put $35 a domain in Verisign's pocket.

1.7M domains, at $35 a domain, cha-ching! $59.5M just to clear out this backlog of domains assuming that every one goes to a WLS subscription...

Makes their bottom line look pretty good I'd say.

-t

Originally posted by penpen
Verisign is Hoarding Expired Domain Names

Why is Verisign holding these names?
I discovered that Verisign has been pushing for something called the Wait List Proposal which is basically a way to auction off names for a higher price than they would normally be sold for.

Verisign, the Domain Name Repo company. :D

P

penpen

> Makes their bottom line look pretty good I'd say.

The should be some sort of law where they have to release expired names. Domain names do not exist soley for the benefit or profit of Verisign.

No argument from me. ICANN is totally worthless at establishing and policing policy surrounding the domain space.

They will be replaced - it's just a matter of when, and by whom.

-t

Originally posted by DirectPixel
Isn't Verisign being a bit unfair by practicing this? :confused:

Verisign is the Microsoft of domain names - they can do what they like because they basically have all the power.

Unless legal action changes things, there is no commercial motivation for them to do so - and ICANN are a toothless wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators