Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Very nice CANADIAN domains

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and BTW - No...you will not be able to sell these for $100 each...not even close...

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
people targetting the global consumer base should not use .ca

- end of story -

a lot of canadians know of .ca

however that amount doesnt compare to .com

I would love .ca's to become a valuable part of the internet but currently they are not.

again with the sites...

a company that advertises a site can use ANY extension.

cbc.TV cbc.am cbc.cc cbc.etc...

I'm done with this thread :)

Don't feel offended i just dont like the names.

Best of luck.

- Jordan

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>deleted<<

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>deleted<<

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The fact is, .ca domains are for a canadian audience. Most domains that would be decent in .com, are worthless in the .ca extension.

As for "rockband.ca", its "ok". I wouldn't register it. If I was going to register it, I would want "rockbands.ca" also. (WHICH IS AVAILABLE). But seriously, the domains by themselves are worthless. They would have to be developed to have any value.

I think if you want to discuss .ca domains, and not yours alone, this thread should be moved to another area.

RMF

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>deleted<<

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seriously though, who would buy rockband.ca?

maybe YouthHostel.ca is better...but some of the names make no commercial sense whatsoever...and Canadian commercial buyers are the main .ca target...

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to get in a big battle over this. I've already stated my opinions. Its like a big tug of war that never ends with you.

Your names could be valuable, IF DEVELOPED. But on their own, I just don't see any value in them. Thats it.

RMF

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>deleted<<

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
According to archive, it was developed. Perhaps they use to own it, and let it drop by accident. But are you sure it really did sell?. Looks to me, it might be another fake purchase from afternic.

Regardless if it was developed or not, the domain isn't worth that. They overpaid. But it is their company name, and they wanted to acquire other extensions, including .ca. That sort of thing happens. Even crap names can sell, if there's someone willing to buy them. Can you honestly say that the .com owners of your domains(.ca) would want to buy your .ca domains?. Probably not.

RMf

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>deleted<<

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
EVERY Canadian knows that .ca domains do not sell. And from what you have posted so far in this thread alone, I'll bet that you (elusive_kudo) are NOT Canadian (1 .ca registration down, LOL!)

toronto.ca is popular NOT because of its keywords but because it's a highly publicized website of the municipal government of Toronto. That it gets like a quarter Overture number of toronto.com is more an exception than anything. Try other keywords (with TLD) like gardening or law.

Don't get me or anyone who argue against your "theories" here wrong, Canada is a great country, but the Canadian presence requirements imposed by CIRA have basically minimized any resale value to near zero. Not that they are wrong either, I personally agree very much with keeping .ca a Canadian domain as opposed to .cn's silly open door policy.

But I'm sorry to say that your "investment" probably won't be paid off as I don't think you would be able to sell a couple or more from your list for anything close to CAN$207.20 (your total minimum cost of registering these 16 .ca domains). Anyway, good luck.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My take on Canadian .ca domains. First .ca is very illiquid that is very different from saying that .ca is worthless. So while I do agree that .ca domains are tough to sell, I do not agree that they have no value. Look for a local, provincial, national market here, and .ca is very well known in Canada. The best .ca domains single gereric words that mean the same thing in English and French. And those are rare indeed.

.ca can make a lot of sense for a company that sells within Canada. So I say physical products are best here. SnowBlowers.ca is very nice and in my opinion is much better than say SnowBlowers.co.uk or SnowBlowers.us. Just don't try to sell it in Victoria BC!

One thing to watch overture can be very misleading if there is a significant different between the single and the plural. I suggest you use Wordtracker to check your names.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd like to point one thing out. If I made the impression that I think ".ca" domains in general are worthless, then I didn't mean to say that. I simply said that I think his .ca names are worthless.

RMF

rjerina

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you ask for appraisals, people give you their opinion, then you argue with them about their opinion. just because someone says a name is worth a reg fee, doesnt mean that is all you will ever get for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators