• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale VU.ca domain sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
150
Congrats to QM (I think)! Nice to see a sale like that get used for a French market site. Can you give any details on the sale/negotiation?
 
eFax.ca sold for $30k last week too...not a bad 7 days for .ca's
 
Congrats to QM.. yes agree Spex..
 
It is a good sale, and coincidentally comes just a year after vu.com was sold by another seller in Canada for $700,000.
 
vu.ca is particularly killer, considering that both the domain and TLD are two letter words ..... "vu ça" in French is "saw it" .... could be huge for a photo / image social network or crowdsourced news reporting site...

Lots of upward room in the French domain (and web dev space) in general.

Rob
 
vu.ca is particularly killer, considering that both the domain and TLD are two letter words ..... "vu ça" in French is "saw it" .... could be huge for a photo / image social network or crowdsourced news reporting site...

Lots of upward room in the French domain (and web dev space) in general.

Rob

In this case it makes sense as a short URL for the company name, but CIRA really made a mess of the French language support, ignoring it for over a decade, and the overall French language .ca domain outlook is bleak since the .quebec TLD is underway.
 
vu.ca is particularly killer, considering that both the domain and TLD are two letter words ..... "vu ça" in French is "saw it" .... could be huge for a photo / image social network or crowdsourced news reporting site...

Lots of upward room in the French domain (and web dev space) in general.

Rob
immediately thought of the same thing. Aside from the French applications, it still phonetically is "view" therefore the applications to the general public are great. Also, that "V" is screaming "Vancouver" and "Victoria" as well. U could be anything University, Unlimited, Unique, Unspoiled, and so on.

By the way...What did it sell for and any word on who the buyer was?
 
Last edited:
It sold for $30,000
 
Seems like it may be a good deal for the buyer. The .ca market is one I do not follow much (as being an americano) but that is a gem with the extension and the French meaning.
 
immediately thought of the same thing. Aside from the French applications, it still phonetically is "view" therefore the applications to the general public are great. Also, that "V" is screaming "Vancouver" and "Victoria" as well. U could be anything University, Unlimited, Unique, Unspoiled, and so on.

By the way...What did it sell for and any word on who the buyer was?

In English the company is called Ultimate Vision: http://s439477648.initial-website.com/
 
Wow, what a gem and what a great purchase for that company.

Oui je sais parler français.

Truth is, I have forgotten more than I remember. Been living in the south too long. No one here speaks French...except Creole.

Je parle un peu français.
 
the overall French language .ca domain outlook is bleak since the .quebec TLD is underway.

I hope you're wrong about that, and that .ca has ingrained itself enough in Quebec to withstand broad .quebec usage. It will be an interesting match up, but I don't think it will phase out .ca.
 
It's a shame. But, the Quebecers are steadfast in their French as the official language. And as divisive as they are, they actually may abandon usage of the .ca. Since the primary French speakers are in Quebec (although I ran into quite a few of them from the Maritimes). Actually, I wasn't sure of what accents I could detect up in Maritimes. Seems to have been quite a mix into their own native language.
 
It's a shame. But, the Quebecers are steadfast in their French as the official language. And as divisive as they are, they actually may abandon usage of the .ca. Since the primary French speakers are in Quebec (although I ran into quite a few of them from the Maritimes). Actually, I wasn't sure of what accents I could detect up in Maritimes. Seems to have been quite a mix into their own native language.

Being in Quebec for the last 35+ years, I'm well in tune with the neverending language identity debate... but I disagree that French Canadians are shunning the .ca; on the contrary, I see a lot of commercial use and promotion of French company sites in both .ca and .com. The vast majority who previously used .qc.ca SLD names have moved to the .ca or .com (or .net/org in certain cases) extensions.

I'm not convinced about the .quebec TLD becoming that popular; we'll have to wait and see. In either case, I generally recommend to clients (English and French) to always try and get the .ca and .com wherever possible as those have the greatest mindshare amongst end users.

Rob
 
Glad to hear it! .quebec is a long extension to type in, .que would be better. And what about French speakers outside Quebec? We'll have to wait and see.
 
I just saw the brand new VU.ca sign ( huge, red ) today in Quebec City ( Beauport ). Very nice and clean. Must be the most impressive outdoor .ca commercial sign in the entire Universe. I could not find a picture...it's at 3509 Rue Clémenceau, Beauport, QC. Hopefuly when the vu.ca site resolves, everyone will be able to have a peak. The .ca never had a better offline look...Toutes mes félicitations !
 
Last edited:
They are going after .quebec, .que and .qc based on the comments.
 
I wonder if any remaining legacy .qc.ca domains will add to the confusion if a .qc or .que goes live?
 
I wonder if any remaining legacy .qc.ca domains will add to the confusion if a .qc or .que goes live?

Most likely they woulde sell .quebec domains and simply alias the other roots, so people could use any extension, provided they do take all three.

By the way, the .quebec preorders are some of the highest for all of the new registries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom