Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld VU.ca domain sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eFax.ca sold for $30k last week too...not a bad 7 days for .ca's

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats to QM.. yes agree Spex..

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is a good sale, and coincidentally comes just a year after vu.com was sold by another seller in Canada for $700,000.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
vu.ca is particularly killer, considering that both the domain and TLD are two letter words ..... "vu ça" in French is "saw it" .... could be huge for a photo / image social network or crowdsourced news reporting site...

Lots of upward room in the French domain (and web dev space) in general.

Rob

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vu.ca is particularly killer, considering that both the domain and TLD are two letter words ..... "vu ça" in French is "saw it" .... could be huge for a photo / image social network or crowdsourced news reporting site...

Rob

In this case it makes sense as a short URL for the company name, but CIRA really made a mess of the French language support, ignoring it for over a decade, and the overall French language .ca domain outlook is bleak since the .quebec TLD is underway.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Rob
immediately thought of the same thing. Aside from the French applications, it still phonetically is "view" therefore the applications to the general public are great. Also, that "V" is screaming "Vancouver" and "Victoria" as well. U could be anything University, Unlimited, Unique, Unspoiled, and so on.

By the way...What did it sell for and any word on who the buyer was?

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like it may be a good deal for the buyer. The .ca market is one I do not follow much (as being an americano) but that is a gem with the extension and the French meaning.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
immediately thought of the same thing. Aside from the French applications, it still phonetically is "view" therefore the applications to the general public are great. Also, that "V" is screaming "Vancouver" and "Victoria" as well. U could be anything University, Unlimited, Unique, Unspoiled, and so on.

By the way...What did it sell for and any word on who the buyer was?

In English the company is called Ultimate Vision: http://s439477648.initial-website.com/

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a gem and what a great purchase for that company.

Oui je sais parler français.

Truth is, I have forgotten more than I remember. Been living in the south too long. No one here speaks French...except Creole.

Je parle un peu français.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the overall French language .ca domain outlook is bleak since the .quebec TLD is underway.

I hope you're wrong about that, and that .ca has ingrained itself enough in Quebec to withstand broad .quebec usage. It will be an interesting match up, but I don't think it will phase out .ca.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a shame. But, the Quebecers are steadfast in their French as the official language. And as divisive as they are, they actually may abandon usage of the .ca. Since the primary French speakers are in Quebec (although I ran into quite a few of them from the Maritimes). Actually, I wasn't sure of what accents I could detect up in Maritimes. Seems to have been quite a mix into their own native language.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a shame. But, the Quebecers are steadfast in their French as the official language. And as divisive as they are, they actually may abandon usage of the .ca. Since the primary French speakers are in Quebec (although I ran into quite a few of them from the Maritimes). Actually, I wasn't sure of what accents I could detect up in Maritimes. Seems to have been quite a mix into their own native language.

Being in Quebec for the last 35+ years, I'm well in tune with the neverending language identity debate... but I disagree that French Canadians are shunning the .ca; on the contrary, I see a lot of commercial use and promotion of French company sites in both .ca and .com. The vast majority who previously used .qc.ca SLD names have moved to the .ca or .com (or .net/org in certain cases) extensions.

I'm not convinced about the .quebec TLD becoming that popular; we'll have to wait and see. In either case, I generally recommend to clients (English and French) to always try and get the .ca and .com wherever possible as those have the greatest mindshare amongst end users.

Rob

Idnik

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just saw the brand new VU.ca sign ( huge, red ) today in Quebec City ( Beauport ). Very nice and clean. Must be the most impressive outdoor .ca commercial sign in the entire Universe. I could not find a picture...it's at 3509 Rue Clémenceau, Beauport, QC. Hopefuly when the vu.ca site resolves, everyone will be able to have a peak. The .ca never had a better offline look...Toutes mes félicitations !

Last edited:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are going after .quebec, .que and .qc based on the comments.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any remaining legacy .qc.ca domains will add to the confusion if a .qc or .que goes live?

Most likely they woulde sell .quebec domains and simply alias the other roots, so people could use any extension, provided they do take all three.

By the way, the .quebec preorders are some of the highest for all of the new registries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators