• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale VU.ca domain sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you see the preorders info on .quebec?
 
They are going after .quebec, .que and .qc based on the comments.
That just seems asinine, as if someone could not make up their mind. Totally confusing, not to mention the "que" is a common latin, spanish, and portuguese word.
 
Being in Quebec for the last 35+ years, I'm well in tune with the neverending language identity debate... but I disagree that French Canadians are shunning the .ca; on the contrary, I see a lot of commercial use and promotion of French company sites in both .ca and .com. The vast majority who previously used .qc.ca SLD names have moved to the .ca or .com (or .net/org in certain cases) extensions.
I was not implying that they are shunning the .ca at the present. I was just "supposing" what might happen when they (french canadians) get their extension, would the prefer to use it above all others? Perhaps not.
 
That just seems asinine, as if someone could not make up their mind. Totally confusing, not to mention the "que" is a common latin, spanish, and portuguese word.

It is possible they have decided or will decide to go with just one, but I have not seen anything lately about the project. Either way, it is a shame CIRA made this possible by killing off provincial and territorial domains and not supporting the complete French character set.
 
I'm thinking .quebec will be to .ca, like .info, .biz and so on are to .com.

I hope some .quebec sites get started up on french keywords that I have the .ca for. I don't think .quebec will work well for businesses that want to have a reach outside Quebec. There are french people right across Canada. All part of the new gtld confusion.
 
I get that Quebecers are proud of their heritage but...who the heck would want to do business on a 6 letter extension?

I guess with a good marketing an SEO budget anything is possible, but wow...seems like a lot
 
Only the .qc could become more popular than the .ca in Quebec. I don't see a bright future for the .quebec for many reasons, but I could be wrong. Good luck to PointQuebec.org. The .qc could be a huge success, but the .quebec, I doubt it. A six letter extension, not well promoted, against a well established two letter very popular cctld...and besides all Quebec nationalists - separatists or federalists - are yearning for the .qc, not the .quebec. The .quebec seems to be totally Plan B. But good luck on obtaining the .qc without a country and a seat at the UN, altought it may be possible. Examples : .re for La Réunion, .pm for St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, .je for Jersey...not independant countries. ICANN policy in this regard is not clear and seems arbitrary. How autonomous a region/province has to be ? La Réunion is only a French departement after all. And super tiny St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, with a population of 6000, has it's own two letter domain extension...I would like to understand the logic.
 
Last edited:
Examples : .re for La Réunion, .pm for St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, .je for Jersey...not independant countries. ICANN policy in this regard is not clear and seems arbitrary. How autonomous a region/province has to be ? La Réunion is only a French departement after all. And super tiny St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, with a population of 6000, has it's own two letter domain extension...I would like to understand the logic.

Much of the departments from France go back to colonial times, and might reflect the various EU/EEC treaties on how to handle these territories. Jersey and the nearby Guernsey are small, but are protectorates, and seem to enjoy this distinction while getting country codes - remember that these country codes are used for thing like banking systems - mainly as a function of administration rather than some sort of political statement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom