Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Want to sell a domain - Finding a buyer - Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I have a few domains that are niche and through some contact I am sure I can get some people interested in making a purchase. My question is...how should I approach this? Should I give a set price right off the bat or ask them what they would purchase for. I don't want to scare them off, but at the same time, I don't want to undersell myself. I mean there are domains out there that go for 4 and 5 figures that don't make any sense to me and domains are only worth as much as the person willing to pay for them...they aren't "premium" domains, but do hold a little weight in their respective niche's.

Steve

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I have a few domains that are niche and through some contact I am sure I can get some people interested in making a purchase. My question is...how should I approach this? Should I give a set price right off the bat or ask them what they would purchase for. I don't want to scare them off, but at the same time, I don't want to undersell myself. I mean there are domains out there that go for 4 and 5 figures that don't make any sense to me and domains are only worth as much as the person willing to pay for them...they aren't "premium" domains, but do hold a little weight in their respective niche's.

Steve

Hi Steve

seems to me you're scared before you start :)

scared, of scaring them off...

wondering should you "ask them what they would purchase for"

probably you should "know" what amount you want first, and then set out to find a buyer or wait for one ....who will pay that price.

other than that, the other questions are up to you

whether or not you want to state a price, a price range, or ask for offers

once you've made that decision, move on

there are quite a few other threads that basically ask the same questions, about how to either make an offer or set a fixed price, range etc.

each one may have a slightly different scenerio, but basically you can only have so many types of replies.

the biggest difference is those scenerios, is when a potential buyer has contacted you.

in those instances you know there is an interested party, so there's no hunting for a buyer.

Good Luck!

imo...

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does the domain get any traffic? If so, how much per month?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
scared, of scaring them off...

wondering should you "ask them what they would purchase for"

probably you should "know" what amount you want first, and then set out to find a buyer or wait for one ....who will pay that price.

This is the biggest question when selling domains - how much to ask? Too much and you'll scare them away. Too little and you could miss out on some profits.

Does the domain get any traffic? If so, how much per month?

An end user may care about traffic but if you say "It makes $5 a month parked" - do most end users know what that means? Also, that is no guarantee that it will turn into sales.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
End users know what that means if you explain it right.. Say a domain gets 500 unique visits a month from prospective buyers and each lead normally costs the business $10 per lead to get...

They can see the value in the domain right away. Even if 2% of that traffic is good and converts thats a free $100 worth a month in free leads a month.

If it has no traffic...It's a harder sell as people need to build it out and get traffic to it.. they might have to pay pay per click places or work hard on SEO to get that traffic which drains their monthly budget. If it has no traffic then you need to go on the $ per click value of the domain name... I.e. ForexStore.com is MUCH better than say JunkStore.com even if junkstore gets 10 times the visitors...why? Much higher cost per click on the forex site.

steveto

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These are niche domains, so the people whom I would be contacting would want to use it for their own purposes and branding, not because it gets traffic. They see the value because it appeals to them in their industry. ....CPC and stuff doesn't necessarily play a role.

There are countless situations where domains are sold for XXXX or more just for the name and these names would be a far cry from premium or even make sense (only in their respective industries).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom