Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dotster Warning: Dotster does not email on expiring domains

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dotster.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Dotster did not email me on an expiring .us domain, until the day it expired. Which proves that they only do it for profit. They charge $15.95 for the renewal, which of course I paid. Now I will simply pull it out to another registrar, as I should have done but was not emailed about.

Domain summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is intentional, because I did not even receive auth codes when request, until today :)
Hope you're not relying on the reminders though.
BTW they do have an agreement with Snap for their expired domains.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Your walking a thin line when you rely on reminders.... Especially from Registrars who push expired domains to auction.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your walking a thin line when you rely on reminders.... Especially from Registrars who push expired domains to auction.

I agree. I check mine at least once a month. The "sort by expiration date" comes in handy, too.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It was definitely a domain that fell through the cracks. I bought it and didn't even put it in my database. Only have 3 domains at Dotster, two of which were forced registrations (.tel) But I'm furious that the expiration email was not preceded by any notifications. Most registrars email 60,30,15 and 7 days in advance.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. I check mine at least once a month. The "sort by expiration date" comes in handy, too.

And you have to use it too, since most Registrars list domains in alphabetical order by default.

I recall a time when I had all my domains set to "Auto-Renew" and "Locked", only to learn later that over 100 of them were reset to OFF... This was with Enom, not Dotster.

You cant trust these Registrars.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well Dotster contacted me directly because apparently they don't have an account here.

If you didn't receive notification that your domain was expiring until it had expired it's likely because your domain was set to auto-renew. When you choose auto-renew it puts you on a different notification schedule without email reminders.
I have to add "Doh!" to this odd logic. Whether I have a domain set to auto-renew - which I hadn't done personally but when it was pushed to my account it retained the originating account's settings, apparently - should not be affecting notifications of "end of life" of a domain. E.g. with other registrars I get notifications of an upcoming renewal, which did not arrive at Dotster either.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you think of it, the name would probably have been snagged as a prerelease and recycled on DNF ;)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'd be very pissed if it did, it's a two word that has more than 7 million results in Google in quotes!

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You could just push just about any dotster regged it to mydomain.com and renew under $10 next time

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom