Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Was SnapNames the right route to take for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain name I want "expired" November 2001, but still has not dropped. Is there anyway to tell when it might finally drop? I back-ordered it through SnapNames back in November. Is SnapNames the best place to use? Should I sign up with any other services just to be safe?

Also, in the past few weeks, the whois information changed. The old owner's address and contact information is no longer listed. It changed to something like this:
Domain not found locally, but Registry points back to local DB.
Local whois DB must be out of date.

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net for detailed information.

Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 21-apr-2002

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:02:02 EDT <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and Registrars.

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Is that good or bad for me? I'm not in the business of buying/reselling domain names so sorry for my lack of knowledge. The domain name I want is for a family site.

Thanks for any help

Domain summit 2024

Originally posted by gourd
The domain name I want "expired" November 2001, but still has not dropped. Is there anyway to tell when it might finally drop? I back-ordered it through SnapNames back in November. Is SnapNames the best place to use? Should I sign up with any other services just to be safe?

Also, in the past few weeks, the whois information changed. The old owner's address and contact information is no longer listed. It changed to something like this:

Is that good or bad for me? I'm not in the business of buying/reselling domain names so sorry for my lack of knowledge. The domain name I want is for a family site.

Thanks for any help

it's getting close to dropN.. when you see this change in the 'who is'..

SnapNames is part of the Register.com group.

It's an NSI drop name.....
does NameWinner have a drop bid on the name as well?

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes,

I checked NameWinner and someone has bid on it. Would it be wise to try to outbid them? Or just cross my fingers with SnapNames?

Originally posted by gourd
Yes,

I checked NameWinner and someone has bid on it. Would it be wise to try to outbid them? Or just cross my fingers with SnapNames?

again.. hmmm

always a toss up, when it's a battle between NameWinner & SnapNames...

NameWinner is owned by Dotster..
and SnapNames, as mentioned is part of the Register.com clan.

These both battle for the NSI drop's..

I can not righfully advise you on what to do at this point.
However, if NameWinner has a bid, on the drop name, prior to your date of bid through SnapNames.. hmmm..
they'll prob'ly get it..

however, this is a good Q. for 'TheWitt' (member)

Thing is with these DropName services, I don't believe you get your funds back, but rather, it's 'credited' to a future drop name you wish to bid on.. so.. that's something to consider..

GoodLuck.
let us know how it turns out.

If we could start a thread, with issues/drop win's.. with regards to the top Drop Name providers, it could prove to be helpful to those who play the drop name game. I have never, I've just researched & studied their game plan's etc.

Originally posted by WandaMay
it's getting close to dropN.. when you see this change in the 'who is'..

This is still no guarantee that the domain will drop soon - only that NetSol has lost track of it internally.

I've seen domains in this state for months.

-t

If it has been in that state for less than 6 days it hasn't dropped yet. If it has been in that state for more than 6 days then it most likley dropped and you didn't get it. The whois on that name just hasn't been updated yet. Depending on the winning registrar:
Namescout is usually updated the next day while some others take over a week.
If the bidding goes high at namewinner then it's a pretty good name and most likely neither Snapnames nor namewinner will get it.
Or like thewitt says it could be a long time before it drops.
Here is an example:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: xxxxxxxxxx.com
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS.NAMESERVERS.NET
Name Server: NS2.NAMESERVERS.NET
Updated Date: 05-nov-2001

I thought Snapnames was somehow associated with Versign? Or whats left of Verisign, anyway. I am sure that they are not related to Register.com

Originally posted by grabby
I thought Snapnames was somehow associated with Versign? Or whats left of Verisign, anyway. I am sure that they are not related to Register.com

was registered through Register.com REGISTRAR...

if it were part of V.Sign/NSI
they would have used the V.Sign/NSI registrar.. ??

what do you-all think? :confused:

Originally posted by Nic
Snapnames is not at all associated with register.com.
Just because their domain was registered through register.com doesn't mean they are associted with it.

is dnforum associated with Tucows ? no!

snapnames does however have an association with Network solutions.
http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2001/12/31/daily37.html

good article..

** key points.. 'just struck a deal' with V.Sign..
so they have not always BEEN associated wit V.Sign..
this article written Jan 2002..

** Also their closing paragraph is worthy of a 2nd take.

While SnapNames does not intend to abandon its retail business, its web site, where users can register for the SnapBack service, "will become more of a demo site," he said. "We hope SnapNames becomes successful, but that no one knows who we are."

SnapNames/SnapBack (same organization)

While the company is not yet profitable as a whole, its retail business, SnapBack, which notifies customers when a domain name become available, has been profitable since the end of the third quarter last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators