Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Was this necessary Gregr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i decided to PM my chess move to Gregr rather than post publically

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
looking over the thread there doesnt seem to be any bad blood between gregr and old members or domainstate. I think the post was made in the heat of the moment so to speak. Everyones posted something before and then wished they hadnt.

Lets just get back to registering very poor names and then get annoyed when everyone tells us theyre worthless ;)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
Lets just get back to registering very poor names and then get annoyed when everyone tells us theyre worthless ;)
I like that. ;) There are quite a lot of us (like DomeBase who just posted) who frequent BOTH forums. Of course, there would be competition between owners/moderators, but I don't see why members should take sides so enthusiastically.

Like I posted on another forum, it's basically pointless arguing whether forums should charge or not. There are A LOT of free forums out there working just fine, but paid forums DO WORK at the same time. The question is only whether THIS PARTICULAR forum should charge AT THIS MOMENT. My opinion is negative, but that doesn't really matter as I have made it clear from Day 1 that this is not a public community but gregr's backyard barbecue (although he's trying to sell us beer now instead of just letting us grab it from his fridge). Idealogically speaking, this is a capitalistic society whether we like it or not.

Anyway, I'm glad that he finally listens (as always) to at least some of the paying members here to make browsing free. This is VERY INPORTANT in keeping DNForum.com accessible to ALL, especially FOR those who have paid.

Let's see how things are going in the longer run. Time will tell if gregr's move to charge now is good or not.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nameslave, I think you're selling your point again, and people will disagree with it just the same...

Honestly, if we were all in the same room I'd ask the whole congregation what conversations we wanted to have. There were about 3 or 4 of them going on at the same time (NameSlave, you just brought up one of the off shoots again). I won't name them all, because I'm not going to pretend a.) many have changed position b.) that this will change overnight c.) that it makes a difference to most people on either forum. Miles, if you want to hear more about what I'm thinking (if), PM me.

I just wish the persuasive and/or grandiloquent verbiage wasn't causing much MORE divisiveness than the specific viewpoints themselves.

IMO, in most situations, it is usually the case. That's why the term "moderator" exists at all. If we stuck to the basics, you'd have less people offended, chiming in, and more people agreeing or disagreeing and moving on.

This was primarily about Greg's post and what he thought he was doing. Outside of that, everything else is a different conversation entirely.

~ Nexus

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they appreciate the plug peaceful. Putting the www makes it much easier too.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by peaceful
I don't think it was very cool to call people cheapstakes at the forum at

http://www.domainstate.com

while were still rehashing free forum menberships at Debate.us ,,free forum lifetime menberships for the next 30 days,,,,,,

Can't we all just get along,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:) :) :) :) :)

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by peaceful
Its an interesting thread. It brought a lot of traffic today there.

i know
It has to be the highest replied thread

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AMERICAR
To all the cheapskates that left DNForum.com
I would like to make a recommendation to you. I suggest you Paypal these guys what you would have had to pay at DNForum.com. Since a lot of you said "it's not the money, it's the principle". Put your money where your mouth is. These guys work their asses off, for what? Just to an influx of cheapskates and domain reseller wannabes.

BTW There's an Ebay auction for a Platinum membership ending in 3 hours here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=3404144973

:mad:

I've heard of "Gorilla Marketing". But you take the cake gregr!
:laugh:

On a serious note. I'll bet you wish you had that post back?
Or at least could have worded it a little better?

Well, gotta go...I'm changing my avatar to one of those cool "cheap skate" thingys I got from DS. LOL

Cheers!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mudfence
I'll bet you wish you had that post back?
Or at least could have worded it a little better?

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Whatever you think of GregR's post at DState, it has turned out to be a success for him in terms of promoting this site, particularly if you believe the old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity. By poking his stick in the hornets' nest there, DNForum.com has been the number one topic on a competing forum ever since. This forum's address has been on constant display in the subject header of a thread that has has over 2,000 views there in a little over 24 hours! What's more, he even has agitated members there fashioning avatars mimicking the platinum bar here (and marked cheapskate). It is a clever gesture at first blush but soon gives the appearance that everything being done there is in reponse to an agenda that DNForum is setting.

Any newcomer arriving there would just have to come over here to check out this madman that is causing such a ruckus. Members there who don't like Greg are just playing into his hands by continuing to reference him and dnforum in everything they do. If they really wanted to hurt his cause, they would ignore him rather than blow him up as something bigger than life and nastier than Saddam! If a business owner doesn't mind playing the role of "bad guy" it is almost a textbook example of a successful promotional gimmick. Even better than that John 3:16 Guy who used to always get himself on camera at sporting events! Radio stations do more outrageous stuff than this everyday, so it's not exactly something new under the sun.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
What I posted is what I genuinely feel. After looking at the time I spend on this site, I have sympathy for those guys. Most likely they will try to emulate what we have here. That will take a lot of work. All the while, they're stuck will a group that proclaims forums should be free.

I am not sure if they will try to emulate what "we" have here.
Forums are consisted of its members and are based on sharing, so they logically must be (almost) free.
No members = no forum.
Running a forum was always unprofitable, but that is another story.

If you wanted to transform the forum into something like old Afternic, a bit broader, than you were right.
Or if you wanted to charge for a kind of "knowledge base" then you should have employed professionals and pay them fees, in order to justify membership.

One thing is covering the maintenance costs, the other is claiming the credits for success of a forum.

I am sorry, but I never felt I had to pay for something I contribute to.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mudfence
I've heard of "Gorilla Marketing". But you take the cake gregr!
:laugh:

I think you meant guerilla...I think :weird:

:D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by options

I am sorry, but I never felt I had to pay for something I contribute to.

Please tell me if anyone tries to hold you down and make you buy a membership. I will be the first one to report this incident to the United DNS Human Rights Division.

Jokes aside. Like anything in life. You pay what you think you'll get out of something. So far I've made quite a few bucks off this site. Therefore I think the $49.95 is well worth it. Yes, we contribute, but we also receive fair compensation. If you are not being compensated by this site (and your a current paying member)...PLEASE get a hold of one of us. I plan on really pushing the DNF community model whereby we frequent our DNF members sites. I think in time, we could also link together to form the largest PAYING forum site in the world.. Membership will have it's priveleges!!

As I see it, we must have a style of board that is partial to it's members who seek to 1) Foster growth 2) Recruit 3) Participate in a positive way.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whatever you think of GregR's post at DState, it has turned out to be a success for him in terms of promoting this site

Posting on one forum to promote another forum can "work," but what about our whole discussion of this issue not too long ago?

Some folks used DNF resources to promote another forum. Some folks here got really angry about it. I said that I thought it was a tacky thing to do and proposed some guidelines for discussion to clarify what is OK...

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=167169&highlight=forum#post167169

then there is...

For someone to use this forum and it's PM system to spam a competing forum is like someone that doesn't like a restaurant so he goes to the restaurant and orders water...
I don't want this guy harassing my customers.

Can we discuss possible guidelines now in a reasonable manner... please?... or will we just ignore it until the next feud over what types of links are OK and ill will and moral morass?

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=167169&highlight=forum#post167169

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase

Can we discuss possible guidelines now in a reasonable manner... please?... or will we just ignore it until for the next feud over what types of links are OK and ill will and moral morass?

Actually, Dome... I think "we've" moved on from this issue. It seems the only ones who haven't are on that other board.

Everyone knows what happened. We laughed, we cried... we bonded. No sense beating a dead horse.

Really, let it drop! Go watch a Simpson's episode or something! I find the old stuff REALLY amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom