Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Watch out for Domain Appraisal Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A man names Ralph Lenhardt contacted me about buying my domian name myflpages.com and claimed he was a domain name broker. As you can see below, I got excited at first, but soon figured out that it was an appraisal scam. He claimed that godaddy was not a trustworthy source.

Check out our email converstation below (read from bottom to top)

Don't believe anything if its too good to be true!

To: Ralph Leonhardt
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: myflpages.com
The right way? Trusted source? Is godaddy not a trusted source?

Is scamming people for domain name appraisals the right way??? Is stealing the right way??? I am going to tell the entire domain community about your domain appraisal scam.

Another man that I know lost $100 to you.

Your a real businessman.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: myflpages.com
Date: Tue, November 02, 2010 6:31 pm
To: <[email protected]>

There will be no deal without appraisal from a trusted source. This simple
rule has saved me a lot of money and time. So I hope you will change your
position. Let's do business the right way.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:35 PM

As I said, you can order the appriasal for yourself as many domian buyers do, and then, if you decide to purchase myflpages.com, I will discount the amount you paid for the appraisal from the purchase price. Is that clear?

Date: Tue, November 02, 2010 3:42 am

As to the most known brands like GoDaddy: the more orders the company gets, the less time they can afford to spend on each appraisal.

I wanted to use AccurateDomains.com but looks like this company has a bad reputation.

I also considered www.Afternic.com, but now it's clear their service is not reliable enough.
Just read this:
"Afternic Appraisals really SUCK!!!"
http://www.discussnames.com/showthread.php?t=13311
"Capsule Review: After lots of complaints, Afternic is no longer a recommended service. We will re-review the service in the near future."

I was told about manual research service from http://www.DomainMart.com. It costs - $200/hour.

Many experienced sellers suggested us http://www.CertifiedDomainValue.com as a trustworth manual service. They charge per name not per hour. We've read only positive comments about them. And I have my own positive experience with this company and their support.

Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 1:38 AM

Ralph,

GoDaddy's certified domain appraisals do not take into account the registrar and is completely independent. These are the appraisals I run my business with as their are very accurate. I am willing to pay the $30 for the appraisal, however, a $60+ appraisal on a site I have never heard of sounds a little cliche.

I have came in contact with people who worked for an appraisal company before who simply tried to get me to pay for appraisals and then never contacted me again. However, I am not suggesting that you may be doing the same thing.

If you really want me to get an appraisal from http://www.certifieddomainvalue.com/ for over $60, I am asking if you could order the appraisal as is custom to most domain buyers (for example, on afternic, the buyer can pay for an appraisal to see if the price is right). You could simply enter my domain name on http://www.certifieddomainvalue.com/ and get the appraisal personally.

Otherwise, I would be happy to pay for an appraisal from either GoDaddy or another company that has a trustworthy reputation.

Once again, thanks for the interest

Date: Mon, November 01, 2010 2:24 pm

I see, but it's a standard practice to show independent valuation to
buyers/resellers. Nobody will do business without it. I'm a businessman and
have no intention of changing rules which help both parties to avoid
additional risks.

Of course, investors never take into account auto-generated valuations. So
manual valuation is a "must" too.

I read the following information about appraisals at:

http://www.thenamepros.com/Archive/94253017.htm

Without the independent valuation from a trusted source we don't spend a
penny. This is our financial policy. So our offer is just a rought estimate.
If the appraisal comes higher we are ready to offer a bit more. If it comes
lower we will discuss the price with you again.

Thank you for understanding. I'm looking forward to doing business with you.

Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 6:39 PM

I will get a certified domain name appraisal by GoDaddy.

Here is the link for the service: http://www.godaddy.com/appraisal/domain-appraisal.aspx?ci=9055 . I personally think this may be the most reliable appraisal. It takes about 2 business days.

Seeing that it is $30, please let me know that a Godaddy certified appraisal is ok with you before I purchase it. Also, please let me know if you are interested in any of my other domain names so I can get those appraised at the same time.

I currently have the domain name custom parked at smartnames, and you may see it at www.myflpages.com. I would suggest you open a smartname account and I could possibly transfer the parked website to you. Also, I have some pages from when I first started to develop the name that I would happily give you even though the website is not near completion.

My preferred payment method is PayPal.

I will await your response confirming that a GoDaddy appraisal is all right with you.

Date: Mon, November 01, 2010 1:27 am

2500. Ok

Our client has a 50,000 USD budget for several names. Have you had your domain names evaluated by certified valuation experts in the past? Even if your domain has no web site it's possible to appraise it. Without a valuation certificate our client cannot be sure in the sale price. Moreover, our accountant and tax services always ask for valaution certificates. On the other side, it's very important for him in terms of reselling too. Of course, we must engage an independent valuation company with a real manual service. So I will only accept valuations from independent sources our client trust. We don't have certified experts in domain valuations and use independent reliable companies for appraisals.

To avoid mistakes I asked domain experts about reputable appraisal companies. Please check this blog with suggestions from other sellers and buyers:
http://www.thenamepros.com/Archive/94253017.htm

If, for example, the valuation comes higher you can adjust your asking price accordingly..

After you send us the valuation via email (usually it takes 1-2 days to obtain it) we'll continue the process. Do you sell domain with a web site or just the name? Domain without content is ok with me. Web site is not necessary.

What is your preferred payment method: Escrow.com, International wire transfer, PayPal.com or something else?

Hope we can come to an agreement fast.

Looking forward to your reply.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 12:20 AM

Ralph,

For myflpages.com, I was looking for a price around $2500, however I will take any offers into consideration. I aquired this name on May 7, 2008 and too thought it was a very catchy and valuable.

A list of additional domain names I own and think your client may be interested in is available at www.rmbdomains.com/domainnames (I am also attaching a list at the bottom of this message). The appraised prices there may be higher than the actual prices I am looking to sell the names, so please contact me if you are interested in any other names and I will happily negotiate.

All of my domains are registered with GoDaddy, so I would push the names for free to your GoDaddy account or transfer them to your registrar of choice. I prefer to process payments with PayPal (this way we can avoid the escrow fees), if that is alright with you.

Thanks for your interest,
David Breslow
RMB Domains.com

Domain Names List:

AmericasRock.com
ASmartNation.com, .net
ASmarterNation.com, .net
BeJoked.com
BestPlaceForGolf.com
CarSaleBid.com
GivemGolf.com
GolfCourseHosting.com
GolfersWish.com, .org
GolfGivers.com
GolfsGive.com
MyBadJoke.com
MyFLPages.com
PracticalComedy.com
Rmbdomains.com
SaveClassic.com
SaveRock.net
SmarterNation.net
SorryNot.com
TeamPerfume.com
UOYH.com
VideoBestGamesStore.com
WePerfume.com
YellowPagesAmerica.com
YellowWhitePage.com

Subject: re: myflpages.com
Date: Sun, October 31, 2010 4:58 pm

I have a client that is interested in buying this domain from you if you are not going to be using it.

My client can offer you a good price and will pay any escrow fees. But he would like to know your price first.

He is also looking for easy-to-remember names with different extensions for his new domain-reselling business.

So if you have other names for sale please email us your list.

He would like to get your answer this week if possible.

If you are not interested we will look for another domain.

Regards,

Ralph Leonhardt

Broker

Name & Hosting Business Solutions LLC
========================================================
NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer.
========================================================

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the head up, but I do recall reading a similar thread just yesteday with similar email, it was from a person living in afraica I think. However, he is a victim unfortunately...

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read that also. I just wanted to post a more thorough description myself as I was affected by the same exact scam.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too good to be true.
They are willing to pay thousands on a domain without discussion, yet the won't pay the appraisal themselves ? :confused:
Besides, a simple google search would instantly reveal it's a scam.

But let me say that an appraisal from godaddy is worthless.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

LMAO can you believe that:
http://rmbdomains.com/donate.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I made that just to test out how paypal's donate button works with intentions to use it on a different, non-profit site. Forgot to take it off my site.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought it was the scammers website... [blush] :shy:

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guess what. Now, after I told the scammer off, he spammed my email and sent me over 1,000 messages. What a loser. I reported him to FTC

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The scammers have nerve. Not only did they register thenamepros.com, they even intervened in the threads about them at namepros.com. Somebody needs to shut them down :upset:

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The scammers have nerve. Not only did they register thenamepros.com, they even intervened in the threads about them at namepros.com. Somebody needs to shut them down :upset:

Well for the length of time this has been going on it certainly isn't going to be Crapdaddy shutting down these phishing sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom