Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What do you think about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eamD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know what you think about this case,
A few months ago I registered a domain name and developed a website to sell food supplements, the domain is a .com. The website activity and language is related to one country (is not a global business), a big international pharmaceutical company has a similar but not identical trademark in that country and an identical trademark registered in a different country, the activity of that company is different than my website. My website log shows that a trademark lawyer from that company is visiting my website frequently. They have not contacted me yet, I use private registration on that site. My question is, should I take any measures to protect myself ?, wait an see or feel confident that there is no trademark infringement because the domain and website are used for a a different business or purpose.

Thank you

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It really depends on facts that you cannot and should not disclose in a public forum. A domain name does not have to be identical to an existing trademark for their to be infringement. Infringement is also different from what is required under the UDRP or Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. They also do not need to have an identical trademark in the same country, but to support a claim under the ACPA, there does need to be use in the United States. You are right to be concerned if a lawyer is scouring your site. You should consult a domain name attorney off line if you are concerned about losing the domain name.

www.trademarkattorneys.com

eamD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer

kumar30

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how do you know that a company's trademark attorney is visiting your site?

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how do you know that a company's trademark attorney is visiting your site?

I would guess because he is resolving the IP address contained in the website logs and is finding that it resolves to a trade mark lawyer. I check the IP addresses in my logs regularly as gives you useful insight.

DG

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
en-lighting question and response.. I learned something new about visitor logs today.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators