Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What do you think are the three biggest flaws of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domain name directories like: GreatDomains.com, Afternic.com, etc.?

If you were given control of these companies, what would you do differently (or improve upon) to make them much better?

Thanks for your answers,
Chris

Domain summit 2024

1) End users don't know about them
2) End users that do find them see lots of names with no or low bids and in many cases there are overt tm abuses which compounds an image of listing sites as being "thieves lairs"
3) They have terrible customer service, especially during transactions

If I were to run them, I would get the customer service part right from the getgo.

I also would filter for obvious tm abuses and encourage members to help by having them flag domains that are obvious abuses.

Finally, I would look at end user awareness, maybe by allowing people to pull them into private auctions within the site rather than just having it as a listing site. So rather than having to have a parked page, they could link via an icon to the auction, some kind of "trusted" logo. I would absolutely definately not have homebrew appraisals on a site geared to end users.

An extension of this could be to create a park page that generates revenue for the domain holder as well as providing a gateway to the auction/sales price details. Maybe using some kind of revenue share with a ppc search engine like overture/findwhat.

Could also rank the domains by revenue or something so that people can see value in the domains (or you could opt to have certified revenue/traffic stats on the domain sales page).

If it could all be tied together in a trusted environment, everyone would benefit and it would be like a buying group in terms in terms of the affilate side and could be policed as such (e.g. percentage of gross revenue set aside for legal disputes with affiliate programs).

chris

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great responses, safesys.

Also, would you tell me your opinion on why having homebrew appraisals wouldn't be appropriate for a site geared towards end-users?

Thanks for your time,
Chris

P.S. - Would love to have other opinions on this topic also. Thanks!

Its about credability.

Afternics "24hresmurfs.org = $100k, please appraise kidzdomainzreges.biz" kills it.

When selling to end users, I'd want their experience to be focused on the domain at hand rather than laughing at what they see and tarring the domain they are interested in with the same brush.

Given the appraisals could have real world impact on the sales value - I'd prefer to have none rather than illinformed or "favor" appraisals sat in front of my potential purchaser.

Chris is soliciting opinions for his own project that will kick the crap out of the sites he mentioned :D

There is definately scope within the market for a new customer orientated domain operation that encompasses everything someone would need.

Areas that could be covered:

private end user auctions (accessed by link)
reseller auctions (accessed by password)
revenue generation via parked page
expired domains registration system
registration services
human promotion of domains names
domain defence services (both hijack and legal/udrp threat)
domain stats services (could be used to rank domains too)
domain sales management (negotiation etc)
domain appraisals (unbiased appraisals with credability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom