Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What exactly is GoDaddy Used Domain Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with GoDaddy's Used Domain Store? It seems that they are advertising the ability to buy a used domain name which would appear to be an expired name of a godaddy customer. Any idea of what this is, how it works and whether if ICANN was still in operation they'd have a policy against this sort of thing?

check out https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/used_domain/used_domain.asp?isc=&se=+&from_app=

for the store

Here is the whois for 4giftshop.com, one of the names:

Confiscated Domain Confiscated Domains 14455 N Hayden Rd Scottsdale, Arizona 85260 United States Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com) Domain Name: 4GIFTSHOP.COM Created on: 30-Apr-02 Expires on: 27-Feb-03 Last Updated on: 30-Apr-02 Administrative Contact: Domain, Confiscated confiscateddomain@godaddy.com Confiscated Domains 14455 N Hayden Rd Scottsdale, Arizona 85260 United States 480-505-8800 Technical Contact: Domain, Confiscated confiscateddomain@godaddy.com Confiscated Domains 14455 N Hayden Rd Scottsdale, Arizona 85260 United States 480-505-8800 Domain servers in listed order: PARK1.GODADDY.COM PARK2.GODADDY.COM

Domain summit 2024

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
most likely they are 'selling' names which were registered through their registration service.. which never got 'renewed'.. thus.. they can either
a) pour them back into the domain pool for anyone to register.. from any registrar
or
b) they are hanging on to some 'keepers' and trying to 'resell' them to interested domain buyers..

kinda reminds me of what verisign had done in the past with selling expired names on eBay which were not renewed,

but the 'registrar' has the final say.. if they choose to
drop them
or
keepM..

in my opinion, i don't think it looks good for them to try to 'remarket' pre registered names, which were not 'renewed'..

but i'm learning.. that in this domain business.. anything goes if they can get by with it..

nomad

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good point, Filly. GoDaddy could be saying '4giftshop.com' is worth $6 as opposed to letting it drop back in the pool and likely having stargate or snapnames or someone pick it up. Heck, the snapnames pricetag alone is 11 years worth of registry renewal, so they could automate a direct sale to the snapholder for that and make more than they would by dropping it for sure.

This is probably the kind of strategy you are going to see a lot of registrars adopt in order to fight the underhanded WLS service being touted by Veri$ign. A registrar says 'lessee...do I drop a name back into the pool, or renew it for $6 when I already see that someone has paid Verisign $30 to get it when it drops. Might as well try to sell it to that same person but keep the $30 or more for myself.' This makes a lot of sense for smaller registrars since if they drop a name that has a WLS on it odds are Verisign will get the benefit of the registration in addition to the registry making off with the $30.

Interesting stuff.

trent2275

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they have some of the dumbest names i have ever seen, i dont see anyone is regging some of those.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could it be that these names were paid with stolen credit cards and now Godaddy is trying to at least recoup their expenses?

nomad

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good theory, Mo. I like it. I would point out that they are definitely letting names drop, so it's not a hoarding thing, and if the names suck that indicates that they are not just taking the (subjectively) good names. see bluescene.com, ceramicsshop.com and helpingpeople.com for examples of good names that they did let drop. So the cc theory is a good one, but do they really have *that* many credit card problems that they have to build a product around it? I'd think most cc fraud is detected within the 5-day registry grace period so a registrar hopefully isn't stuck with that many names.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Momentum is right, they are domains baught thru fraud. That's why some of those domains are paid for till past 2010. All regisrtrars get fraud orders - GoDaddy is just trying to get some of it's money back.

HelloThere

Videographer/Video Editor
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a GoDaddy account, and they do offer a domain cancellation feature. I had previously asked them about what happened when I cancelled a domain name--whether it would immediately become available for registration by someone else, or if it would remain unavailable. They told me that since it was already registered for a certain term, it would remain unavailable until the registration expired.

My guess is that those names in the Godaddy Domain Store are the result of people registering them, and then cancelling them so they wouldn't have to worry about the automatic renewal kicking in. That might explain why they are such crappy names.

GoDaddy automatically renews domain names unless you cancel them. You can cancel them any time prior to the expiration date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators