Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What is the domain industry missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNLease.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow domainers,

I wanted to pose this question: What do think the domain industry, as a whole, is missing? This is in regards to resources, databases, and just general tools that we need to be better domainers.

I'm sure we're all aware of us use tools like Estibot, Alexa, Namebio, etc. I'm wondering what other resourses you would like see created in order for us to be better domain traders.

I look forward to your thoughts.

-Scott

Last edited:

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe its missing sympathy from people outside of the domain world,
whenever i deal with US potential buyers i feel they think i m a scammer that stole their domain and wants to make money out of them, while this is not exactly what i m looking for.
Domainers should be able to come closer with ordinary internet users and show them this is a business that we try to run.

I also believe that people holding great dot coms and having unreal prices to sell are ruining the web as we know it forcing people to change this route into a new thing.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't use estibot or alexa.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow domainers,

I wanted to pose this question: What do think the domain industry, as a whole, is missing? This is in regards to resources, databases, and just general tools that we need to be better domainers.

I'm sure all of us use tools like Estibot, Alexa, Namebio, etc. I'm wondering what other resourses you would like see created in order for us to be better domain traders.

-Scott

you assume too much by thinking that "all of us use tools like ebot,lexa, nbio"

i don't use any of them

imo, the industry needs to eliminate some of the bs that distracts, distorts and misdirects domainers, those that give newbs endless pits of useless, outdated and inaccurate information.

when you realize that any tool which isn't free is just a profit center for another domainer, then you are learning.

until then....you're just a customer.

when you realize that you can be successful without them, then you free your self from being dependant on "more" tools.

imo...

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) Hot single women, especially at the conferences.

2) BS detectors. Critical thinking. Ability to not be a sheep. The .mobi fiasco is an example.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I am about to reveal to you the biggest domaining tool of all...

...it's the Yellow Pages.

Read it, back to back.

Then start cold-calling.

DNLease.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My apoligies for assuming anybody uses the sites I mentioned above. I was merely using those as examples of sites that try to provide info relating to our industry. Now whether or not you choose to use them is up to you, of course.

I understand this industry is about not following the crowd. Innovators should be rewarded for their work.

-Scott

Last edited:
H

H2FC

I would like to see a website with domains listed for sale with fair value prices instead of the outrageous prices we see so often. The domains would somehow have to be fairly priced by others in the industry (your peers) rather than the owner who are most often blinded by greed.

I don't know how this could be done but if it were possible a site such as this would be of great value to domainers....and to all other potential buyer/users as well. An auction type format could be set up with the fair value price being the base price. If the owner wanted to he/she could lower that base price for a quicker sale.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My apoligizes for assuming anybody uses the sites I mentioned above. I was merely using those as examples of sites that try to provide info relating to our industry. Now whether or not you choose to use them is up to you, of course.

I understand this industry is about not following the crowd. Innovators should be rewarded for their work.

-Scott

Hi Scott

apologies accepted :)

but i must say that...assumption can be a domainers worst enemy

assuming that the traffic stats are legit

assuming that this or that guy/gal owns the domain

assuming that bot appraisal values are true

and so and so on

if you now understand that "this industry is about not following the crowd."
then you will see how innovators have been rewarded.

though i may not use ebot and others, those who created them are innovators and they are reaping the rewards.

while you're looking for more tools, you end up becoming the tool that others use to climb the ladder to success.

imo...

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are missing?

1. Connection between sellers and buyers. The reason a domainer failed because he/she tried to sell to another seller.

2. Misleading from "Domain Experts" about "Premium" and "Reseller Pricing". There is no such thing is Premium (Domainers defined what is Premium, not buyer and that is wrong) and there is no such thing called Reseller price. "Domain Experts" set the prices which they called reseller prices and blindly using these prices as a guide.

So go out and use all the means (I posted many threads as there is no secret to find the buyers) to find the buyers and sell the names. Don't just try to sell among ourselves.

You own the name and you set the price depending on who is the buyer. Forget the word "Premium" and "Reseller Price". Name your own price.

IMHO

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a website with domains listed for sale with fair value prices instead of the outrageous prices we see so often. The domains would somehow have to be fairly priced by others in the industry (your peers) rather than the owner who are most often blinded by greed.

I don't know how this could be done but if it were possible a site such as this would be of great value to domainers....and to all other potential buyer/users as well. An auction type format could be set up with the fair value price being the base price. If the owner wanted to he/she could lower that base price for a quicker sale.

My site has been fixed price for YEARS, and it has worked out well. October has been my biggest month ever, and it's only 1/2 done.

Buyers HATE auctions. Nobody seems to get that, and I won't do it.

I set the price, people buy it or not, and they get the domain name the same day. I get very positive comments for just getting the job done quickly without the BS or week long auction "make offer" nonsense.

I seem to be the only one that has figured this out.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would never list all of my "for sale" domains with prices in a single location. It opens up the door to all sorts of legal action, for whatever reason. I examine each inquiry or offer individually, analyzing a set of parameters that help me understand both the seller's purchasing power and their willingness to negotiate.

Someone today emailed me about how they could not afford placing the offer at Sedo. I said, "I never received such an offer". He then said he could not afford the $60 minimum at Sedo whereupon I had a good laugh.

It's important to weed out timewasters and there are already plenty of these around.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyfloyd

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is something that is BIG-TIME missing....that is NEEDED by every serious domainer.......me and Acro will get back to you when it's ready..:)

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Q: What is the domain industry missing?

A:

honest people

less bs

less arrogance from your fellow domainers !!

better registrar services AND PPC services ( most of the time the tech teams have no idea what i am talking about - and if they do , it takes WEEKS to fix )

less SCAMS and less lowball offers !

( huuuh - i feel better now ! )

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there is something that is BIG-TIME missing....that is NEEDED by every serious domainer.......me and Acro will get back to you when it's ready..:)
........ewwwww! what is it?

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh for sure a lot of the original domain industry is now missing MORALS. Ordinary
business morals of the type that one expects in every other business. It seems
that when competition arrived the registrars like Network Solutions, Register.com
and many others took easy route to keep making money, i.e auctioning off their
clients domains OR like Tucows.com taking advantage of their ICANN status to
keep and sell their clients domains themselves. I was just thinking that this
morning whilst pondering how to get hold of a domain that Snapnames sold me
that comes from some backwoods, redneck type Registrar that I actually
suspect Snapnames has a closer than admitted relationship with.

So yes Morals would be good to get back.

DG

Hello fellow domainers,

I'm sure all of us use tools like Estibot, Alexa, Namebio, etc. I'm wondering what other resourses you would like see created in order for us to be better domain traders.

-Scott

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are missing?

1. Connection between sellers and buyers. The reason a domainer failed because he/she tried to sell to another seller.

2. Misleading from "Domain Experts" about "Premium" and "Reseller Pricing". There is no such thing is Premium (Domainers defined what is Premium, not buyer and that is wrong) and there is no such thing called Reseller price. "Domain Experts" set the prices which they called reseller prices and blindly using these prices as a guide.

So go out and use all the means (I posted many threads as there is no secret to find the buyers) to find the buyers and sell the names. Don't just try to sell among ourselves.

You own the name and you set the price depending on who is the buyer. Forget the word "Premium" and "Reseller Price". Name your own price.

IMHO

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators