Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What is the domain industry missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the domain industry missing?

A true legitimate oversight body that prevents and takes action against the ones who step out of line rather than turn their back on the problems.

ICANN is totally ineffective in this regard.

With their proposal and approval for global TLD's the internet, registrars, corruption, and fraud will be impossible to enforce.

The moving of their world headquarters to Switzerland to escape prosecution in the Registry Fly debacle says volumes about their ineffectiveness.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would never list all of my "for sale" domains with prices in a single location. It opens up the door to all sorts of legal action, for whatever reason.

This is a false myth perpetuated by people who have never done it.

I examine each inquiry or offer individually, analyzing a set of parameters that help me understand both the seller's purchasing power and their willingness to negotiate.

Buyers know this and are offended by it. How would you feel about going to buy a car, and the salesman told you he would only give you a price after he researched your income and background? But I hope lots of people keep doing this -- I know it drives A LOT of business to me.

Last edited:

Arrogance

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Q: What is the domain industry missing?

A:

honest people

less bs

less arrogance from your fellow domainers !!

better registrar services AND PPC services ( most of the time the tech teams have no idea what i am talking about - and if they do , it takes WEEKS to fix )

less SCAMS and less lowball offers !

( huuuh - i feel better now ! )

so what are you trying to say wolfis? :cool:

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Q: What is the domain industry missing?
A: Transparency from upstream providers, starting with Google

longhorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1) Parking transparency

2) More realistic valuations of domains

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1) Parking transparency

This has to start with the upstream providers first. Parking companies only get so much info from the upstream provider and out of what they do get, they have agreements with upstream provider as to what they can pass to you and what they cant.

I hope that made sense.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A Domains for Sale site for .com/net/org only, that rejects most names submitted for sale, on the grounds of inflated price or unlikelihood of a sale

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like a few already said - more realistic domain valuations & more reliable resources.

The domain industry also needs more journalistic coverage. I recall this being discussed in another thread, but coverage has to also come from sources that don't have a conflicting interest with the industry. This change would do wonders for the business as a whole.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A body to act as instigator in getting the message out as to what a 'domain' can mean to an end user in terms of business.

With the present financial crisis this is an opportune moment for someone with the marketing and advertising experience to bring to the fore just what a difference a domain and website can make to a business. The market for good domains and websites (they do go together) is the millions of businesses out there that want a way to either expand their business or protect it from contraction.

H

H2FC

A Domains for Sale site for .com/net/org only, that rejects most names submitted for sale, on the grounds of inflated price or unlikelihood of a sale
I like this idea but who would make the decision a name is inflated or unlikely to sell? I'm sure our peers would be the ones to do that but exactly how would that work to be fair for everyone?

I think these questions could be worked out and a sales site such as this would be beneficial for all.....I don't have the knowledge or time to build such a site but I hope somene here can see the merits of it and in fact, do it. I would suggest the names with asking prices be listed in categories for easy lookup. Perhaps those wishing to place names on the site could be charged a monthly or yearly fee based on a certain number of their names to be listed instead of a sales fee.

Nacho

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More security for domains and domain owners, similar to the protections we have established with being a land owner in this country. The stopping of big companies taking advantage of domain owners, by claiming rights to generic domains. True title and insurance for domain names, which will lead to better rates for borrowing against our assets, again similar to what is established with real property.

RedTruck

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's one of those things you don't know you need 'til you ned it, but I suspect domainers are going to need a lobbyist at some point. How else to educate lawmakers on domainer's rights?

Developper

I am creating new gTLD's
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) Hot single women, especially at the conferences.

There ARE hot women at the conferences. They are only not single.

How many conferences do you attend per year?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need more hot women.
The girls I see in the conferences photos are all crappy, old and fat :D
Too many "domainers" are gossip *****es in this industry.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like a tub of chocolate with Brad Pitt in a bikini. Who cares?! The conferences aren't a dating service. If you're that desperate, go to Match.com. Or better yet, go outside and get some sunlight. :D

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When you start dreaming a bit, Tia slaps you back into reality :D

But on the subject of women domainers at conferences, there is one that openly flirts with everyone as long as there is a potential for a sale :D Not naming any names, so don't ask.

longhorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
domainerdating.com is a parked site damn.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The industry is unfortunately lacking some professionality.

The industry is also lacking more great domainers! Hopefully this will change when I get my sisters started in the business ;)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There ARE hot women at the conferences. They are only not single.

How many conferences do you attend per year?

I usually go to a domain conference every year, but I went to 2 conferences with Mystery 'The Pickup Artist' this year, so I guess I'm spoiled :)

I'm highly amused that a female whose photo shows milk-pale skin is telling ME to get out in the sunshine! I like at the beach, and just got back from a 2 week hiking trip to Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon area... hmmm, I wonder who'se getting more sunshine? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators