Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's better? PenForum.com or PenForums.com?

florafauna.com

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I've recently decided to build out this website into a forum. However, I don't wish to start off on the wrong foot. Would it be advisable to secure the plural PenForums.com in addition to PenForum.com? Which variant is better? Thanks in advance.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the singular. I consider a "forum" to be the whole place. Some people consider sub-sections to each be a forum, making the place "forums". Different POV, probably both valid.

If you have the singular, there is no real need to also register the plural, but that's for you to decide.
The best argument would be to prevent a competing forum to be established on the plural name.

Now, they both seem registered. Maybe you have both. I would go with the singular and redirect the plural to the singular. That's only my own opinion.

PS: DNforums is for sale on afternic. Not owned by DNforum, not redirecting to it.

florafauna.com

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the singular. I consider a "forum" to be the whole place. Some people consider sub-sections to each be a forum, making the place "forums". Different POV, probably both valid.

If you have the singular, there is no real need to also register the plural, but that's for you to decide.
The best argument would be to prevent a competing forum to be established on the plural name.

Now, they both seem registered. Maybe you have both. I would go with the singular and redirect the plural to the singular. That's only my own opinion.

PS: DNforums is for sale on afternic. Not owned by DNforum, not redirecting to it.
Of the two names, which one would be more appealing to end users, and which would receive more type-in traffic?

florafauna.com

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Forum is the most widely used and searched word compared to Forums. You can verify it using Google trends.

Forward forums to forum.
I own the singular, but the owner of the plural is asking for an exorbitant amount for the name. I’ve been torn whether to fork over the cash he’s asking for the plural, hence why I created this thread to ask for advice.

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the plural then. If you're going to develop the singular then you'll be generating the content and traffic. I doubt there are any typeins to the plural as 'pen forums' is not a popular term and has almost no monthly searches.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the owner of the plural is asking for an exorbitant amount for the name.
Then there is no question.

It was already feeling unneeded if it was available for handreg. But if you would have to pay a high price, clearly forget it, IMHO. Almost the only type-in traffic you'll have is people knowing about the domain, so it will happen on the one you use, advertise, etc. "Magical traffic coming from the sky" will probably be close to zero for both names.

I do agree with @RobM on the matter.
PS: To me, the most appealing is the singular in any case, as M. Overlord says it himself.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I own the singular, but the owner of the plural is asking for an exorbitant amount for the name. I’ve been torn whether to fork over the cash he’s asking for the plural, hence why I created this thread to ask for advice.

I am in the exact opposite situation

I own MapleDots.ca and MapleDots.com and someone purchased both singulars and is sitting on them for obvious reasons. I am very well known in the industry and I suspect the person is waiting for me to contact them.
That said I could have registered the singular version back in the day but I thought then and now that it does not impact my business at all.

My suggestion would be for you to do the same. Launch your business and worry less about the plural because there is always a misspell or something around the corner.

Fact is a huge portion of your traffic will come from google and they will index you if you do your job right.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you, I love watching new forums 👍

buyforuse

Level 1
Reaction score
Actually, you better strip out forum in domain name. Forum this noun strip out your possibilities.
You will not use forum to publish wordpress posts.
Let say you name your website as penbeast.com. You can always like below
penbeast.com (root domain) for writing blog posts.
forum.penbeast.com (subdomain) for receiving blog traffic.
In this case, you can use multiple CMS and won't strip out your money possibilities.
You know, you also has better exit plan. Who knows the next buyer will do what on this domain?

Reaction score
Actually, you better strip out forum in domain name. Forum this noun strip out your possibilities.
You will not use forum to publish wordpress posts.
Let say you name your website as penbeast.com. You can always like below
penbeast.com (root domain) for writing blog posts.
forum.penbeast.com (subdomain) for receiving blog traffic.
In this case, you can use multiple CMS and won't strip out your money possibilities.
You know, you also has better exit plan. Who knows the next buyer will do what on this domain?

Yes, though from the other side, people do search keyword + 'forum', and then this word will be a ranking factor.

:) I like the penbeast.com brand :)

Btw, beast.it.com is currently available for $40/year at it.com :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom