Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Whats steps can WE take to help prevent the "Snowe Bill" from being passed? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smart people would not want to run for public office because they don't want to be blended with the existing clowns.

Unless you make yourself stand out from that crowd. I don't mind being the "rogue", hell I've done that with my company and it's built me up one hell of a reputation (good and bad) but I am very well respected in my company. One of my clients is a "rogue" in his field, he has a lot of enemies but they all respect him and listen to him.

Screw them all. If I get in there I will stand on the steps and flip the bird at the corruption and bull$h!t that goes on in there. I do schutzhund training and dealing with the shit they can dig out will be NOTHING compared to wearing a bite suit and taking bites from 3-4 well trained K9s.

Unfortunately, I am a nobody, we need a SOMEBODY.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is all getting out of control...we will all be getting scanned at checkpoints pretty soon and have cameras on us 24/7 if people don't stand up against this sh*t! When they start to censor the Internet and interfere with International run websites and such it's time everyone wakes up before it's too late! This Bill, if passed could be the beginning of the end for freedom & profit on the WORLD WIDE web.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is all getting out of control...we will all be getting scanned at checkpoints pretty soon and have cameras on us 24/7 if people don't stand up against this sh*t! When they start to censor the Internet and interfere with International run websites and such it's time everyone wakes up before it's too late! This Bill, if passed could be the beginning of the end for freedom & profit on the WORLD WIDE web.
indeed.

It is disturbing to think that a site promoting freedom of speech and basic liberties is shut down by the Treasury Department.

So now are all the sites with the word Cuba in them suspect?

U.S. TREASURY DEPT shuts down sites! Whoa!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/u...ink&adxnnlx=1204747317-4O1OGWKoFB2iEvB2uBunZA

A must read along the lines of the Snowe Bill being discussed.

Can add this to the list of reasons why the Snowe Bill is just simply a "piling on" of laws and enforcement already in existence

Equally bad is this appearing in the New York Times.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

word biotch :yes:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The petition is a great idea. I signed the one in Focus's siggy.

Are there more?

Not sure if multiple petitions are needed but perhaps the more the better for impact.

I did pose a few questions:

This is a classic example of "piling on" un-needed legislation and laws.

A question I would have for the CADNA organizers is this:

They are using the CADNA.org name, the .org extension.

CADNA.com is currently used by an auto parts manufacturer. They are also a TM holder.

So who would give up what in a case like this? Does the bill provide the organization for CADNA.org to seize the domain name from CADNA.com? Or can CADNA.com sieze the domain name CADNA.org for the committee phishing the the auto parts manufacturer?

There are an additional 260+ global domain extensions. How would something like this be remotely enforceable, who pays for it, and why do US taxpayers have to pay the bill to provide global enforcement of something that needs no enforcement?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This Bill, if passed could be the beginning of the end for freedom & profit on the WORLD WIDE web.

It will not be the end of profit, the big businesses who bully the domains away from the little guys will still profit from them.

Economy? What economy? We don't need small businesses! :rolleyes:

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Adam earlier, he will be sending out an email to all DNF members shortly asking them to sign the petition

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Adam earlier, he will be sending out an email to all DNF members shortly asking them to sign the petition

Too bad he can't press GoDaddy to send out the same email to all of it's registrants.

Last edited:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Minimally, get Bob Parsons to take note and discuss this on his talk show.

How about Monte over at Moniker, he seems like a cool guy. Perhaps someone acquainted with him personally could run the idea by him?

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about Monte over at Moniker, he seems like a cool guy. Perhaps someone acquainted with him personally could run the idea by him?

Just spoke with him, he and all his employees are signing the petition.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
why signature goal went down from 5000 to 1000 ? :(

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why signature goal went down from 5000 to 1000 ? :(

The default was 1,000 but I changed it to 5,000. We're averaging about 75 sigs a day, so I think 1,000 is a more realistic goal, but the more the better obviously.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, getting back to the original question of "what can we do?"...

If this is not on NamePros yet, please post it.

This has been posted on Mobility.mobi with link to the petition.

Others involved with DomainSite and DNJournal should also raise awareness with links to the petition.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with him, he and all his employees are signing the petition.

What about Moniker's registrants? The registrant base of companies like Moniker, or GoDaddy, is where a fight this size could hinge. A handful of domain speculators is just going to fuel the flames I think. Your every day Joe website owner needs to be aware of this bill.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, getting back to the original question of "what can we do?"...

If this is not on NamePros yet, please post it.

This has been posted on Mobility.mobi with link to the petition.

Others involved with DomainSite and DNJournal should also raise awareness with links to the petition.

It is on NP but no one seem to care about it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is on NP but no one seem to care about it.
There is undoubtedly cross-over membership on the forums.

But those that are not multi-forum members need to care.

Then again, you can't force anyone to do anything.

Also, this needs to be stressed that it does not only apply to or affect US based citizens but this bill is GLOBAL in scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom