Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Whats steps can WE take to help prevent the "Snowe Bill" from being passed? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadillac880

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I for one will not stand by and watch this happen, Draggar's letter is the best I have seen so far, rest assure I have fowarded a slightly modified version of this letter to the Senators with the most weight in the Senate. AWARENESS is the key issue here.

We need to expose this bill for what it is and what it isn't and it surely isn't a so called "Anti-Phishing Consumer Protection Act of 2008" I have made the following Senators aware via email:

John Kerry, Ed Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Barrack Obama I can't think of Senators with more weight than those off the top of my head.

Heres an idea,

The following is a list of all the Senators contact information:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

What if each of us take 10 from the list and send the email Draggar wrote to them. Lets make all the Senators are aware of our concerns and what the Anti-Phishing Consumer Protection Act of 2008 does to small business. Lets not allow them to vote blindly on this bill.

Someone can post in this thread which Senators they have wrote and we can move on from there until every Senator has a copy of Draggar's letter.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Cad

I just sent this to Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL)

Quote:
Senator Bill Nelson,

I am writing this letter in response to the Ms. Snowe’s bill a.k.a. the “Anti-Phishing Consumer Protection Act of 2008” (“APCPA”). I am emailing it to your office now so I can be assured that there is a quick delivery of this letter and I will also mail it (USPS) a copy of it to your office in the next few days so there is a hard copy on paper about my serious concerns in regards to this bill.

While the cover of this bill does seem for the better good of every person in the US, the law itself opens the gateway to take control of a large part of the internet from the people to large corporations.

The two major points in the bill are both already illegal or against parent-organization policies.

Phishing (a.k.a. using deceptive practices to obtain information to acquire a gain from an unsuspecting target (monetary, etc...)). This is already illegal against US law (fraud, theft etc..) and including this in the bill is just a redundant addition to our laws. Not only that, the vast majority of phishing attempts are conducted by individuals outside the US and outside of US jurisdiction. This bill would not even put a small dent in the number of phishing scams we see in our emails often (I’ve seen many). The average consumer needs to be educated on how to notice a phishing attempt as opposed to a legitimate communication from the institution that they do business with (most commonly banks).

Typo-Squatting and Cyber-Squatting (a.k.a. the use of a trademark in a domain or something that is “confusingly similar” to a trademark and/or creating a site that is confusingly similar to the copyrighted material in order to profit (either though ads or the sale of the site and/or domain). This is already against ICANN and WIPO policies, so once again, this addition to the law is redundant to current policies.

Both of the main points in this law are not needed in new legislation since they already exist with their respective governing bodies.

The main concern is that this bill allows entities to register a trademark then file a case with WIPO and obtain any domain name (including generic words), even if it is used for legitimate purposes and had been registered long before the trademark was submitted.

For example, if I own the domain “laptops.com” (I do not, just an example) that I registered years ago and had a site dedicated to laptops (sales, support, reviews, etc..). A large computer company could easily trademark “laptops” and then file a claim against me for the domain forcing me to hand it over. I would lose all the time and money I put into the site plus the large corporation would then quickly and easily gain from all of my hard work (by getting in all the traffic I was getting on the site) and my reputation as a web master would be tarnished since I would have this case against me and would have a “cyber squatter” black mark on my name. While this bill is proposing to prevent cyber squatting the exact opposite would happen, large corporations would be able to profit from the hard work of small businesses and individuals who pour a lot of hard work into developing a successful site.

I can understand that many members of the senate may not have the most current knowledge of web development, domaining, and related industries. If you’d like, feel free to contact me (information at the bottom of this letter) and I can give you a list of names of people who are very well educated as well as ethical in this industry who can discuss it in full detail. This bill is bad news for small web-based businesses and I’m sure you can agree that small businesses are the backbone of this country’s economy more so than the large corporations who would fully benefit from the points in the bill that are not already covered under other laws and policies.

(contact information)

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Domain Summit 2024

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't copy my email, it will look like scripted spam from a generator. Each email needs to be different and from different views or else this will get ignored.

I plan on writing a few others for the other senators that are also co-sponsors AND Ms. Snowe since I am from New England (and went to school in her jurisdiction).

(I do appreciate the compliment, though). :)

Bill Nelson is my senator so he was the first one I sent the letter to (and I do plan to snail-mail one to him, too).

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I have made the following Senators aware via email:

John Kerry, Ed Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Barrack Obama I can't think of Senators with more weight than those off the top of my head.

It's election year. If you're familiar with bill-passing procedures you'd know that these "big" names don't matter and they won't deal with emails or letters from Joe Blow. Creating noise and raising awareness within the domain and Internet community is different from taking steps to divert the course of this bill. Apparently Olympia Snowe is considered to be the queen of passing earmarking laws and as such she's lobbied the support of both parties. That's another reason why the lobbying of politicians should come from the top of the domain industry (which we need to lobby instead). Another key element is the necessary representation of domainers in this, not just that of the PPC companies and Registrars.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
42 signatures. I will deliver to Washington myself if it gets to 2,000. I have forwarded to over 1,000 domainers I know, please do the same.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I know where Ms. Snowe might be sensitive, too.

I wonder if she is a Black Bear?

well, she's a spartan, so she's probably 'hairy like bear' :smilewinkgrin:

K

karter9977

We should have a PM sent to every member here. I mean theres what 50,000 members on this forum.

Just an idea, not sure if it can be done or not.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gladly we've already got Adam's signature so we know he's aware of the situation. It's going to take people that have the ability to reach the mass domainer audience.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gladly we've already got Adam's signature so we know he's aware of the situation. It's going to take people that have the ability to reach the mass domainer audience.

I just signed the petition Rock , in your siggy.
cheers for putting time into this, we all gotta pull together to beat this biatch.......... and the proposed policy ;)

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll offer my domain for use against this bill if anyone has time to develop and or ideas on how to use it.

vote.no.com

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The letter I just sent to Senator Snowe;

(FYI - the Black Bear is the mascot of the college she and I went to (even though it was decades apart), University of Maine. This college heavily promoted small businesses when I was there since that is what drove the economy in that part of Maine).

Greetings Senator Snowe,

As a fellow Black Bear, I’m sure you can understand the importance of small businesses in the US. They are the backbone of our economy and areas like the one you represent (Orono, Bangor, Old Town, etc...) heavily rely on small businesses. I’m sure during your time as an active Black Bear you enjoyed eating at such businesses such as Govenor’s and you’ve smelled the paper mills when it rained on campus (much like I did during my time at UMaine). I used to love visiting the small shops in Orono and downtown Bangor.

Your recent bill called the “Anti-Phishing Consumer Protection Act of 2008” unfortunately will hurt many small businesses by allowing their web presence to be swallowed up by larger corporations.

Yes, the bill in itself and it’s intentions are great for consumers in the US but the major points in the bill are redundant by their respective governing bodies.

Phishing (the act of using deceptive practices to get personal information for the purpose of gain (monetary or otherwise, similar to phishing emails claiming to be from banks etc…) are already against US law (fraud / theft) and the vast majority of these phishing emails and attempts are generated from people outside the US (whom are outside of US jurisdiction). Your stats show most are hosted within the USA, which might be true, but the USA is also home to the majority of consumer level web hosting companies. The law is redundant and most of the people conducting this are immune to US laws unless their country of residence allows extradition to the US for these crimes.

Cyber squatting and typo-squatting (the act of having a domain name / website confusingly similar to a trademark for the sole purpose of gain, usually monetary) is also already against ICANN and WIPO policies, each enforceable and has been many times in the past (Dell, Microsoft, and many other companies have successfully gotten domains like these in the past). A search for “WIPO cases” will show many cases that were filed, and the company who’s trademarks were copied or infringed upon, were able to acquire these domains. This part is also redundant.

Unfortunately, and to the point of this letter, this law allows companies to trademark terms they wish to use and then file a suit against a legitimate webmaster or domain owner. For example, say I owned a website at laptops.com (I do not, this is just an example). I spent years and a lot of money developing it into a community for laptops (support, sales, chat, reviews, etc...) and built up a very large client base and it is my primary business. A large corporation could easily trademark “laptops” and then file a claim against me, even if I had the site for years before the trademark and by your law, allow them to take it (thus creating what has been termed as “reverse cyber-squatting” or “reverse domain hijacking”). Now, I have to close my laptops.com business while the larger company is now profiting off of the hard work I put into the site and the client base I created. As you can now see, one small business is out of business because of the bill.

This can also happen to small businesses that wish to have a web presence. They are luck enough to find a good domain but now have the potential to have it taken away from a larger corporation who decides that they would like it and only need to file a trademark to get it.

Most small businesses cannot afford the trademark fee but can afford a registration fee for a domain name while larger businesses can easily write off the trademark fee.

I’m not proposing that you scrap the entire bill, in it’s own it is a very good idea for this but the wording needs to change and the loopholes need to be closed so legitimate domain owners and webmasters do not have to fear that their domains and websites may be taken away by a larger corporation.

What is needed is better education. The general public doesn’t know what a phishing email looks like nor would they know how to report it. I’ve shown people how to look for little differences, even going as far as not clicking on links in emails but to go directly to the site (a bank, for example).

Cyber squatting is already monitored and policed by corporations and backed by ICANN and WIPO.

As-is, this bill has the potential to be devastating to the domaining and web development industry since both of those are dominated by small businesses, most of which have fewer than 15 employees but can help an economy, even a poor one, by supplying steady jobs with good incomes.

It is understandable that many in the senate do not have a full knowledge how these industries work or how much of an effect they have on the economy. Feel free to contact me and I can give you some contact information of some ethical experts in the industry who would be more than willing to share with you (or anyone else) their expertise in this field.

I am emailing this to you to ensure a quick delivery of my concerns but I will also send a hard copy of this letter to your office so you can have a physical copy of this letter.

Thank you for your time,

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent excellent excellent letter bro, cheers! :eek:k:

Adam, can the option to sign this petition and maybe a heads up PM on this matter be PM"d to ALL the members on DNForum?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Once we have all the facts which it seems we are getting now, I will bulk email all 60,000 members to sign the petition tomorrow.

I will make it very clear now that I am on side with the members here, the big players and registrars know exactly what's going on. Nobody will sit by and just let this happen without a hell of a fight.

"Let's get ready to rumble"

-=DCG=-

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Once we have all the facts which it seems we are getting now, I will bulk email all 60,000 members to sign the petition tomorrow.

I will make it very clear now that I am on side with the members here, the big players and registrars know exactly what's going on. Nobody will sit by and just let this happen without a hell of a fight.

-=DCG=-

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

We knew we could count on you Adam. :eek:k:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hope they can handle 50k+ votes on the petition...the question is..then what happens with it?

Remember, this is where we all unite for a common cause and use our power and influence to show these idiots we won't be bullied! We are all in this together and we have to stand up and fight or we will go out like b*tches...and you all know that is'nt how I roll! :no:

I hope we can all count on this picture coming true:

*****Here Lies the Bill of Lies!*****

Last edited:

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

"Let's get ready to rumble"

-=DCG=-

Excellent Adam!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm on board.

Perhaps we should also send a copy of these emails to our own Congressmen/women.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm on board.

Perhaps we should also send a copy of these emails to our own Congressmen/women.

Again, I would recommend against that. Make it personal and don't let them even think they are mass generated. Copies of the same email would do that. :undecided:

We need to show our professionalism here. You can use the emails for ideas on what to day, but don't copy them word for word. :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom