Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld What's the current record for highest sale of .ca so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
great to hear what the domain is. are the two letters initials for the buyers name or company name?

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I'll guess it's for one of those new mobile carrier companies, 'm' for mobile d......

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess md mutual funds or md financial (parent). They manage a lot of the doctors mutual fund portfolios and currently use mdm.ca but all the funds are called md. It would be a great branding move for them as they're pretty much known in the industry as MD.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about six months and one day this year in the Caribbean?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This one is going to take a while yet.

-=DCG=-

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This one is going to take a while yet.

-=DCG=-

It's also been a while yet since you made this post :)

Any updates on the status of this deal?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, you really are a Dot Com God! lol Congrats! Can I buy and sell .ca even though I am not located there? The way I read it is that I can't.

Do not take this as legal advice.

You would need to set up a corporation in a Canadian province, possibly as a subsidiary of a corporation you may have formed in the US, depending on the province's citizenship/residency requirements.

This corporation would then become an "eligible entity" under which you could own and in turn, buy and sell .ca domain names with.

However, as the domains would belong to the corporation, so would any proceeds realized as a result of selling/parking/developing them. Therefore they would not be "yours", per se. For you to enjoy the profits, the money would need to be removed from the corporation in methods to include but not be limited to a loan, a dividend payment, a salary, or a "commission" to you as an independent contractor of the corporation (which I have done in the past).

If you were to opt for the latter, you would have to pay tax personally on your commission, and the corporation would have to pay tax on the net profit resulting from the domain's sale.

Getting this set up is not a cheap undertaking, so you should have realistic plans to make the operating expenses back before you go ahead with this.

If it's just one or two names you're going for, this all probably isn't worth it, and I'm sure that you know somebody who would fall under the category of an "eligible entity" who could be a front for the registration for you.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me remind everyone of a key aspect of CIRA Policy:

ARTICLE 4 CERTAIN REGISTRANT OBLIGATIONS

4.1 Certain Registrant Obligations. Throughout the Term of this Agreement, the Registrant shall comply with and abide by all provisions of this Agreement and the Registry PRP. Furthermore, the Registrant shall, in accordance with this Agreement and the Registry PRP:

(g) not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration registered in the name of the Registrant and not register any Domain Name as agent for, or on behalf of, any third party in any manner whatsoever, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, for the purposes of lending, leasing, licensing or otherwise granting rights in such Domain Name Registration to any third party for monetary or non-monetary consideration, unless such third party: (i) otherwise qualifies under the applicable Registry PRP including without limitation CIRA’s Canadian Presence for Registrants which is located on CIRA’s website at www.cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/CPR.pdf; or (ii) is an Affiliate of the Registrant. For this purpose, “third party” means any Person other than CIRA and the Registrant.

If one reads this carefully, a number of existing domain name registrations are not valid based upon 4.1(g) as it currently stands.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The establishment of a registered corporation that complies with the CBA and provincial regulations is enough to qualify. As long as the key person is local.

I don't think that clause would ever survive a real court challenge as it is extremely arbitrary, broad and removes rights of domain holders on normal business transactions. Not to mention it is imposed without agreement of the registrant.

I believe there was also a section that called for you to lose all your domains or the domain if you were caught. I mean if someone approaches me and says I qualify am I supposed to hire a detective to have them investigated. Or do I just accept that as the registrars and even CIRA do with their registration process.

But as I've said before who wants to be the poster boy for those idiots at CIRA.

OK so the official high price that I'm aware of for a publicly sold domain is now $650,000. DCG are you going to beat that?

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK so the official high price that I'm aware of for a publicly sold domain is now $650,000. DCG are you going to beat that?

Keep in mind that was $650k USD - $637,780 in Canadian terms! ;)

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that was $650k USD - $637,780 in Canadian terms! ;)

Are you referring to jobs.ca? I thought it went for $600k.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was creditcards.ca just last year.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was creditcards.ca just last year.

I thought that sale was being kept on the down-low.

In any case, great to know the sale price. I considered jobs.ca to be a superior domain, but whoever bought it will make their money back without any doubt.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A publicly-listed company bought it, so it eventually showed up in an SEC filing, perhaps to the surprise of whoever sold it. ;)

I guess CIRA will have to act on it now.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A publicly-listed company bought it, so it eventually showed up in an SEC filing, perhaps to the surprise of whoever sold it. ;)

I guess CIRA will have to act on it now.

Very shrewd find for whoever located those details ;)

Now, by "CIRA acting on it", is a part that I'm not following. Does the discovery of the sale price at all require CIRA's involvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom