Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's the longest you've had a domain up for sale for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEOcidal.net

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was a web developer for the past 11 years. I've decided to sell off everything I've got and build a business offline with my brother.

After six months of heavy promoting, I've sold only six websites and about fifty domains ... I've got nearly 1000 domains left and 100 websites! At this rate, it will take 5-6 years to sell everything.

I've never really sold domains in the past. I rejected all offers. Is this a long term game? (Unless you're willing to take peanuts.)

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The last paragraph summarizes the current situation (since the economic downturn of a few years ago started) and basically... it's a waiting game where you will certainly get a better ROI if you hold out for the market to recover - especially in the US ; even if your clients are not located in the US, almost all economies are affected by their financial stability.

I would do a selective rationalization of your portfolio and liquidate only those where you won't take an exceptionally nasty hit by selling now... it is really a buyers marketplace right now.

Just my $0.02.

Rob

SEOcidal.net

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it's the exchange rate with the US that is killing me just now! I used to curse the high exchange rate when I was buying stuff ... now I'm selling ... the rate is what I wanted when I was buying!

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What exchange rate? If you have quality names... "they will come"

SEOcidal.net

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What exchange rate? If you have quality names... "they will come"

US dollars to UK pounds. Earlier this year, you were getting £50 for every $100. When I was buying stuff years ago, you were paying £75-£80 for every $100 spent in the US.

Just saying ... really annoying. If it had been the other way around, I probably wouldn't be eating baked beans tonight ... again. ;)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's the exchange rate with the US that is killing me just now! I used to curse the high exchange rate when I was buying stuff ... now I'm selling ... the rate is what I wanted when I was buying!

just price your domains in USD or whatever is best rate for you to compensate

as for how long it takes to sell a domain

some hold names 10yrs or more before they sell, some buy today and get a sale tommorrow

but it's best to have domains/websites that generate income, so you don't have to sell to survive

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most domains will never sell... cause they are not really worth much to anybody other than the current holder.

SEOcidal.net

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most domains will never sell... cause they are not really worth much to anybody other than the current holder.

Aye, I've got a few of those. e.g. ncdnews.com where I had a news site. What are the chances of someone else wanting that? Even nakedcompensation.org where I set up a joke site about the industry I think is a funky name, but what other use would it have? Who else is willing to waste their time like that? ;)

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
US dollars to UK pounds. Earlier this year, you were getting £50 for every $100. When I was buying stuff years ago, you were paying £75-£80 for every $100 spent in the US.

Just saying ... really annoying. If it had been the other way around, I probably wouldn't be eating baked beans tonight ... again. ;)

Just think yourself lucky you are not Australian like myself, im actually looking at losses totalling more than the domain cost on one of them...............if that's even possible!

As an example I just sold a LLL.com for 1k more than i bought it and lost 3k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom