Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What's wrong with GoDaddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by greggish
Godaddy is good. Enom reseller, better. Finally getting your domains away from NSI, priceless! :D

This is really good slogan. Great greggish.

Regards,
tw

Domain Summit 2024

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've used GoDaddy and several other registrars and I feel that Enom is hands down the best registrar.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmmm.. I've been using dotregistrar.com for a while. Was getting ready to book when they actually, surprisingly, lived up to their low price guarantee and set my account up for unrestricted $6.69 registrations. I've transferred many names, which can be a bit cumbersome until you get used to it. Always free. Never lost a name there. Free DNS, No good for reseller api. But great for pre reg, porfolio management.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't host any domains with Godaddy, so I can't comment on that part of their business. I do however manage most of my domains through them. To date I haven't had any problems with them whatsoever. I originally transfered a few domains to their registry to check them out. I was impressed with their admin functions so that is when I transferred the rest to them.

For the price and what you get Godaddy is pretty hard to beat. However I have heard ENOM is good too, but haven't used them or had any reason to.

izopod

domains

ComDeals.com - World-class domains for sale.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GoDaddy used to charge $25 to make an ownership change. Even if they don't do that anymore, they still nickel and dime people for other features that are free elsewhere.

Also their updating system is screwed up because I get multiple emails AND I MEAN MULTIPLE SPAM from GoDaddy about drops and password changes (they tell me what the password is) even though I no longer own the domain.

All that aside, the fact that GoDaddy's whois records don't show up in the global whois is absolute death. Most of the calls and emails I get are from buyers who looked up my name in the whois.

I have my doubts if every day people are savvy enough to know to go to GoDaddy for the whois info.

Note: I have never purchased a name at GoDaddy, but many of my buyers have transferred names there that they have bought from me, even though I warn against it.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy now have a pretty good internal change of owner system. Probably a lot more secure than the "normal" registrar transfer method (which I think is actually against the strict terms of some registrars).

It is also now free. They started off charging US$49.9x and progressively brought it down to zero.

I think they realised they had to do this if they didn't want to lose loads of business.

I have got in a bit of a mess by Godaddy allocating me a whole load of different customer numbers for my registrations, and they haven't been able to give me a solution to this that is satisfactory to me.

It is no good if you want to register several names one at a time quickly, as you have to go through something like 15 slowish loading graphics screens for each name, and you are asked if you would like to buy all sorts of bells and whistles as you go along (e.g. they try to sell me .us names which I don't even qualify for living outside the US).

I think they do have a pretty neat domain management system, especially if you have 100 plus names. Of course, it isn't perfect. Nothing is.

They are cheaper than many mainstream registrars, which has to be a plus point, especially those on tight budgets. That is why I started out with them.

I still renew names with them, and haven't transferred any out at renewal yet. But that day may come if I can get a US$6.95 account!

But I no longer register new names with them, as the process is far too long and slow for me. It would still be fine for those only registering a few names, of if you can select them all first and register them all at once.

They've been good to me, but times and my needs change, and except for the practicality of renewing names already with them, I now do new registrations elsewhere.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the information.

tw

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GDaddy reg fee's are fair... their ownership transfer utility tools are easy and free..

however, they have an "auto renew" / recharge to your original credit card you used to reg' the name.. YET.. they offer the option to "opt out" of the "AutoRenew" feature as well.

I opt'd OUT of this feature mth's ago.. and I am still continuing too be charged auto renewal fee's for domain names which come up for expiry. I've written their CS several times regarding this, and have not rec'd a worthy reply..
That's my big complaint with GoDaddy.

GoodLuck

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The auto renew push me away from godaddy to enom.

Regards,
tw

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I normally change each domain to manual renewal individually as renewal gets near.

I haven't had any of these automatically renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom