Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

When to let a domain expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yowzator

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm too busy running my web service businesses to really get into domaining the way I would need to in order to make money with it. I'm an application developer and buy domains occasionally when I have an idea of a web service to offer. I rarely buy domains based on keywords, fads, and so forth. Most of my domains are specific to my ideas.

Unfortunately, I've found that I don't have the time to implement them all or do anything with most of them. So now I'm looking at my collection and thinking I should let some of them go. I've been building this collection for over a decade and it just doesn't make sense to keep them all.

I've had them all listed on Sedo for a year now, and actually sold one for $2K (siteport.com), but had very little interest in the others.

What types of things can I do to make some money on these domains instead of just letting them go? I see that I can list expiring domains for $20 BIN on this forum, but that hardly seems worth my time. The thing is that many of these domains aren't bad domains and could probably make some money if someone invested some time into them. Many are similar to sitport.com (for instance, I have siteengine.com, sitemill.com/.net, siteportal.com), but I have others like soccerarena.com, soccerarenas.com, groovee.com, grooveegirls.com, and many more. I'm sure many of you on this board would snatch up these domains if they were deleted.

Are there people out there that will do the marketing, site development, and other work of selling domains on behalf of someone else in exchange for a percentage of the sale? How would that best work?

Also, take sitemill.com and sitemill.net for instance. Would I be better off trying to sell sitemill.com and letting sitemill.net expire, or would it be better to keep both and sell them as a package?

Thanks!

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These are deep questions to ponder

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you are looking for is a domain broker. There is a Domain Broker Wanted section here on dnforum. You have some nice domains there, and to let them drop would be to lose out on thousands of dollars. There's no shortage of domain brokers out there, just make sure to ask for references.

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
were all your names just listed on sedo?

or were they parked there as well?

because i can't see you owning soccerarena com for years and not earning any rev/traffic or offers

the other names, yeah i could see not getting many offers for

siteengine sitemill are more brandable and you may have to wait many more years before the right offer comes along

but imo, i don't think a "real broker" would be interested, maybe a wannabee come-up broker will though :)

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators