Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

When will GTLD reg numbers support an aftermarket

namesdencom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GTLDs just passed 1k extensions launched. Wondering when total regged GTLDs in all extensions will support the need for an aftermarket trading platform?

Disclosure we own gtldam.com gtldaftermarket.com

Domain summit 2024

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it will take a *long* time. You will have the occasional need for very premium keywords, but if you are thinking in terms of investment... Long time IMHO (if at all).
What's to stop even more extensions becoming available in the future, further diluting the value of these domains?
These new gTLDs are designed with 2 objectives.
1) Get domainers to invest, which means more money for the registries...
2) End users, in which case most of the premium keywords are set at a much higher price than the normal reg fee for these gtlds.

namesdencom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seeker, thx for your good input

"What's to stop even more extensions becoming available in the future". You're right, round II for 2020 is already being progressed as I have read.

These new gTLDs are designed with 2 objectives.
1) Get domainers to invest, which means more money for the registries..

a) today at the domain conference in the Netherlands is not dotcom day. and
b) Donuts (owner of the most GTLD extensions) has made it clear that they are not interested in domainers buying their names. I can't totally agree on that since

2) End users, in which case most of the premium keywords are set at a much higher price than the normal reg fee for these gtlds.

I agree with the premium thing. As you know most new businesses don't work however so those premiums should eventually find their way to the aftermarket IMO.

I also agree that this is likely not a months but rather year timeframe for a GTLD aftermarket.

Actions like the million dollar ad campaign this month from .xyz should help but at the end of the day as the song says

"Give me a reason" and wiuth a severely depressed economy there seems to be little reason thus limited market for domains .com or otherwise.

On the other hand who saw the Chinese CHIPS rush coming so anything is possible in a globally connected world

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
b) Donuts (owner of the most GTLD extensions) has made it clear that they are not interested in domainers buying their names. I can't totally agree on that since

You put a lot of faith in registries.
Do you really think most of the domains bought through Donuts are not by domainers? ;)

Azam.net

Azam Marketing, Inc.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must say I would have to agree with 'seeker'.

It will take a l-o-n-g time for this niche to develop.

The domain names market is being flooded with hundreds of new TLDs, which will naturally devalue all non-prime TLD domains.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators