Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Where do you see .CA five years from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So how do we get most of these registrars to turn on the whois for our domains, I am having the same issue.

-=DCG=-

My whois is turned on...... you can select that as part of your options on each registrant. The real problem is that joe business, looking for a domain for his business can't see past the privacy. Although at least CIRA is now including the information about making offers directly on the whois.

"WHOIS search results
Personal information about the holder of this domain name is not available in the search results because the registration is privacy protected.
Interested in contacting the holder of this domain name? CIRA offers an online Message Delivery Form that allows you to send a message to the Administrative Contact for this domain name."

The registrars have no choice in the privacy it's default setting by CIRA unless you opt out. Too many domain owners don't realize what it's done to the business stream that was looking for domains.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Just as an FYI. That domain Lentils.ca resolves to an IP address on a Malware Block List.. (an IP in the Bahamas)"
That's Franks parking company.

"My whois is turned on...... you can select that as part of your options on each registrant."
Naturally GD gives me no way to do this. sigh

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well when you buy from the company store......... :)

If you go into your registrant profile there should be a option there to choose privacy or not.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Just as an FYI. That domain Lentils.ca resolves to an IP address on a Malware Block List.. (an IP in the Bahamas)"
That's Franks parking company.

Not a good sign, Malwarebytes simply denies access to the IP range. Considering that they use the same Blacklists as many of the big firewall manufacturers looks like lots of revenue could be lost and potential sales also. I will drop an email to Frank to let him know.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK NP informs me the privacy provision can only be toggled on or off by the registrar staff. So a support request is required. I would assume GD is the same.

Last edited:

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With ICANN's insatiable hunger for more non-profit extensions littering the internet I think we as .CA holders will have to make a decision in the near future. Are we confident .CA is going to take off at some point or do we believe that this wasn't the rocket ship we expected it to eventually turn into. I do not see why ICANN still stop pumping ad-hoc domain extensions as long as there are suckers who will speculate or companies who will invest in.

Between the slow growth in Canada, the nationalistic cheapness of our companies relative to our free spending US neighbors, influx of domain extensions to compete with us AND CIRA's pledge to keep .CA shut out to only a population of 30 million users, you need to ask yourself if you have parked your purchasing power into the right investment vehicle going into this decade.

Eventually someone is going to dig up a thread from 2004 where we all touted .CA would pay off in no more than a decade and proclaim: "Guys, this didn't, is not and will not be happening, for any of you left in this game, give it up". I see no middle ground for .CA at this point. We are either going to see a major breakthrough with the online community in the next few years or you will see further proof that this suffix is stagnating and will never realize its true potential (you can blame whoever you want for this, all I care about is what reality is today with my investments).

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well Irish I probably contributed to that thread back in 2004 :)

As long as the search engines like google will give precedence to the .ca extension in searches that is an awesome sales message to get out to our reluctant canadian businesses. I see far too many of them registering the .com because they think that's what they need.

But to put it in perspective in 2004 I couldn't get $50 for a .ca domain that I routinely get 2-3k for now so we are making progress.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well Irish I probably contributed to that thread back in 2004 :)

As long as the search engines like google will give precedence to the .ca extension in searches that is an awesome sales message to get out to our reluctant canadian businesses. I see far too many of them registering the .com because they think that's what they need.

But to put it in perspective in 2004 I couldn't get $50 for a .ca domain that I routinely get 2-3k for now so we are making progress.

Fair point worth nothing.

If Canada had a verbatim source for .CA domains, a true marketplace then we would probably be one step closer to having real exposure throughout the online community. Adam and a few other visionaries have taken stabs at this and I hope Adam's latest venture is able to do what none of us have been able to to date.

I still have a lot of pride for this country and believe in having a Canadian identify, even if it means you register your first+last name and just stick up your online resume. This is a great country that is ahead of the curve so I sometimes struggle with answering the question of "why aren't we there yet?".

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a NON-CANADIAN - I don't understand country code extensions.

Us americans only know .com

Do Canadians search .com too ?

What about Indians ? do they use .in ?

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a NON-CANADIAN - I don't understand country code extensions.

Us americans only know .com

Do Canadians search .com too ?

What about Indians ? do they use .in ?

In Canada the growing tend is to use .CA for anything centric to Canadians. In this respect you cannot live in Canada and not realize that .CA is gaining in popularity. In print, radio, TV and internet advertising you see it constantly now being pushed. This has not lead to a significant increase in demand or price in the online real estate market here in Canada.

The truth is what we have quite a few forces working against us, so you have to weigh those equally. Depending on who you talk to, CIRA has or has not done anything to help grow the awareness of .CA. If after 15 years after land rush (2015) we are all still waiting for .CA to come into its own I think it is fair to say it simply is not going to. The next few years are going to see exponential increases in awareness and internet usage in Canada.

The numbers do not lie. If anything positive is going to happen with the extension, it is now. There is a window of opportunity with anything that is not tangible. Physical real estate is tangible, it isn't going anywhere because we aren't. The internet is not going anywhere either, but .CA may or may not.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In Canada the growing tend is to use .CA for anything centric to Canadians. In this respect you cannot live in Canada and not realize that .CA is gaining in popularity. In print, radio, TV and internet advertising you see it constantly now being pushed. This has not lead to a significant increase in demand or price in the online real estate market here in Canada.

The truth is what we have quite a few forces working against us, so you have to weigh those equally. Depending on who you talk to, CIRA has or has not done anything to help grow the awareness of .CA. If after 15 years after land rush (2015) we are all still waiting for .CA to come into its own I think it is fair to say it simply is not going to. The next few years are going to see exponential increases in awareness and internet usage in Canada.

The numbers do not lie. If anything positive is going to happen with the extension, it is now. There is a window of opportunity with anything that is not tangible. Physical real estate is tangible, it isn't going anywhere because we aren't. The internet is not going anywhere either, but .CA may or may not.

As a non-Canadian I wish I understood how strong the .ca is

Is it even remotely used ? or is it like our .us tld ? . . . pretty much completely unused

or is it more comparable to .org

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Canada has a population of about 34 million people. There are now 1.71 million .CA domains registered. Not bad. The usage of .CA in Canada is quite strong relative to the .us extension, on a per capita basis there is no comparison. I see more .CA's domains advertised than .Com's in Canada in 2011. The shift is well under way for this Nationalistic country of ours.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a non-Canadian I wish I understood how strong the .ca is

Is it even remotely used ? or is it like our .us tld ? . . . pretty much completely unused

or is it more comparable to .org

It's pretty much all you see. Even American companies who do business here set up .ca versions more often than not - especially if they are doing radio or television advertising - you see this on everything from bowflex.ca to walmart.ca.

Canada is still doing better than most nations during this prolonged recession but we haven't been saved and that's depressed sales too I am sure. Canadian businesses are also notorious for being fiscally prudent and overly cautious - good for surviving a recession - bad for domain sales.

Canada also still has a way to go to bringing high-speed internet to all parts of the country - and have it be affordable too. If your business is local and located in a small northern town - there isn't much need for a website when hardly anyone even has modern access to the internet like those of us in the city.

Good things - CBC just reported that Canadians were the second highest users of the internet in the world - trailing only S.Korea. If we had their speeds and prices they'd be second imo. Corporate tax rates are now(or about to be) the lowest in G20 - sooner or later they will have to use those extra bucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom