Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Why do professional domain owners drop domain names instead of selling them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Number four on the Top 200 TBR List for this week is the spinabifida.ca domain name.

The name was offered up for sale on the .ca Domain Sales forum no less than seven times, with more than 1400 views.

Why would someone not sell the domain, even for $10, than let it drop, especially having spent so much effort in trying to get rid of it? :?:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
even though this is about .ca, i drop names and rarely offer them for sale for such prices

i'd rather see a fight over them at nj and snap for $59/69 bids

maybe the next sucker will dev'em or hold'em longer, if they paid more than $10 for it.

there's also another factor involved

if you have priced a domain in $,$$$ range, then end up offering it for $10 later...

it can have an adverse affect on how the pricing on your portfolio is viewed

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think after investing much time and effort to sell, the mind starts to think the domain may not be worth much after all. And also keep in mind, domainers are a notoriously tough bunch to sell to.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dropping this particular domain is puzzling. If Canada's tax system is similar to the U.S.'s in this respect (which may not be the case, sorry for my ignorance), the owner almost surely could have donated it to an eager spina bifida nonprofit agency and gotten a healthy tax writeoff. (I've done that in the U.S. with some .com domains.)

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya...I'm puzzled too ;-) I totally missed the notices that this needed to be renewed. Crap! My loss for sure.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya...no sh!t. If I could kick myself in the rear I would. I wonder what it sold for?

Last edited:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dropping this particular domain is puzzling. If Canada's tax system is similar to the U.S.'s in this respect (which may not be the case, sorry for my ignorance), the owner almost surely could have donated it to an eager spina bifida nonprofit agency and gotten a healthy tax writeoff. (I've done that in the U.S. with some .com domains.)

I recall that was posted as a suggestion to the seller as well.

Perhaps there is a bigger trend in play, since it seems the volume of .ca domains going into TBR seems to have increased markedly.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I allow domains to drop every month, why I don't sell them here?.. One reason is by the time I decide it's not worth holding onto anymore, it had already passed it's expiration date.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not review your domains before expiry?

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown presents Obama with a pen holder crafted from the timbers of the 19th century British warship HMS Gannet, a thoughtful gift, considering the desk in the Oval Office was crafted from wood from the warship's sister ship, HMS Resolute. Obama's gift to Brown? Twenty-five incorrectly formatted DVDs of American movies.

I know this story - the PM brought clothes for the girls, all correct sizes and colours, and the White House staff went to their gift shop to find some stuff for his kids.

You cannot buy class.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I allow domains to drop every month, why I don't sell them here?.. One reason is by the time I decide it's not worth holding onto anymore, it had already passed it's expiration date.

i do the same. its too much of a hassle to create threads, follow up with pm's of people wanting it for even cheaper and then the hassle of when/how they will pay and if they want it pushed, transfered, etc. its not worth it for a few bucks.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i do the same. its too much of a hassle to create threads, follow up with pm's of people wanting it for even cheaper and then the hassle of when/how they will pay and if they want it pushed, transfered, etc. its not worth it for a few bucks.

That is my point - if you will drop them anyway, just slap a $10 or $20 tag on them and let it go like that, no other effort required.

When people intend to drop a domain and then post a 'for sale' with $100 and $200 prices attached, it is no wonder they get irritated with the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators