Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Why the .CA will always struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A few valuable domains from the last TBR were from same owner right ?
Every single one of us can die suddenly, and without planning the same would happen.

Not saying the market is brilliant though.

This was something we looked before the company was split last year. What do you do if a large portfolio holder is gone? It would be a small but important niche to offer a service for those people with large portfolios, managing the assets for the estate. Not everyone is as big as Frank Schilling with a full-time staff.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's called Domainguardians.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure they do a good job, but the Canadian market needs someone in Canada, and from Canada you could handle the U.S. fairly easily also. A company in Australia is not going to work for this market.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When the market is good people do not let domains like malls.ca drop in the first place.
I think if a name like malls.ca drops its not based on the industry. More likely its a case of a person owning a name he no longer needs and doesn't understand the value and is not aware there is an aftermarket he can sell it on, or a large business that doesn't want the hassle of selling it, or maybe the person passed away.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons why a premium name could end up at the TBR.

I know why a few of the very best domains made it to the TBR ...sad story and the domains were auctioned off in TBR for thousands of dollars each.

sad that the family see nothing... and probably didn't even know.

Last edited:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they should change the rules for expired names. If it was real estate the net proceeds from an auction would go to the estate of the family. Why should it go to the registers or drop catching companies. I it seems logical and fair that if a name drops the net proceeds (after expenses) goes to the last registered owner. IMO

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they should change the rules for expired names. If it was real estate the net proceeds from an auction would go to the estate of the family. Why should it go to the registers or drop catching companies. I it seems logical and fair that if a name drops the net proceeds (after expenses) goes to the last registered owner. IMO

thats why a company like MSN mentioned would help... there is no way of knowing why a domain drops...but if the company was set up and family knew to contact the company like many other companies they need to contact like banks -etc... that company could make sure i were dotted and t's crossed for the family and secure the domains until they work out next moves.

it can't be left to Cira. at least from what I have seen.

maybe start a thread on protecting your domains so this thread doesn't lose focus.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think if a name like malls.ca drops its not based on the industry. More likely its a case of a person owning a name he no longer needs and doesn't understand the value and is not aware there is an aftermarket he can sell it on, or a large business that doesn't want the hassle of selling it, or maybe the person passed away.

I know of one company that was marketing .com domains after the registrations expired, but they 'shared' just 10% of the proceeds and the procedure was a bit dubious given they only sold to the 'insiders' who made contracts with them. The other issue is they only used e-mail contact, and most people do not put passwords in their estate papers.

What we offered is based on non-payment - it could be any reason - of a renewal, in which case we renew on our own account for one year, and if the registrant does not re-establish contact, we get it after one year. It is not perfect, but it gives people 12 to 13 months to take care of things. We only had to invoke this two times, and once was for a .co.uk domain where the domain was re-registered for two years, instead of one, and the domain was settled after three years.

It would be better to have a system with some paperwork, just like a certificate of insurance, that someone can include with their papers which informs the family what needs to be done and what directions were given - manage, liquidate, sell on offer, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom