Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Will political chaos in Montenegro threaten the .me TLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
PODGORICA, Montenegro - Police fired tear gas at thousands of angry pro-Serb Montenegrins who pelted state buildings and fired flares Monday to protest their government's recognition of Kosovo's independence.

Chanting "Treason! Treason!" and "Kosovo is Serbia!" the protesters condemned last week's decision to recognize the former Serbian province which declared independence in February.

Full story.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The .su is controlled by the Russian federation.

In the event of a war or other social unrest in Montenegro, how safe is the infrastructure of the nameservers? In the event of a revolt, the first thing that will go down is the Internet, including all things .me

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is not politics that threatens the future of .me

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think that the situation is getting worse. For a national TLD, .me poses a lot of risks that are linked to the political stability of this Balkan nation.

Violent clashes on Monday night between police and pro-Serbian demonstrators resulted in dozens of injuries and arrests. About 10,000 people joined the protest in the capital, Podgorica, denouncing the decision of Milo Djukanovic’s government as a “stab in the back” to Serbia.

anatoly

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i hope they aren't rioting about domains, i mean lets face it we got most of them on this forum....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Any Montenegrans on DNForum?

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There seems to be too much money in .me for it to flop over politics.

I think Verisign as early as last week took control of .me if I am not mistaken.

If they haven't, I'm sure they will.

-Zh

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Still, .me was set up for people to utilize the meaning of ME and not to promote Montenegro businesses, just look at .TV. it was campaigned as a "better alternative as .com since everyone knows what a TV is".

As long as there is a demand for the ccTLD and the registry is still operational, the ccTLD will exist.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't see how .tv relates to .me
.me is a national TLD promoted as a catchphrase. But it's still a country TLD and it's dependent on that country's stability & ability to maintain it. That's something a lot of people that poured money into .me might have failed to take into account before investing.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The Balkans are occupied by multiple ethnicities and religions and it's probably the most unstable peninsula in Europe. The main stabilizing force is Greece.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will never be able to comprehend one group's sense of need for ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Most of these ethnicities co-existed for hundreds of years without major clashes until the 20th century. Once the Ottoman empire dissolved, each nation's independence caused clusters of its people to be entrapped in other regions. Later on, communism took under its umbrella a handful of nations, when Yugoslavia was formed. And again, its splitting has caused a lot of instability in the region. Kosovo is the latest thorn in the Balkans.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of these ethnicities co-existed for hundreds of years without major clashes until the 20th century. Once the Ottoman empire dissolved, each nation's independence caused clusters of its people to be entrapped in other regions. Later on, communism took under its umbrella a handful of nations, when Yugoslavia was formed. And again, its splitting has caused a lot of instability in the region. Kosovo is the latest thorn in the Balkans.
It is not just that region...Africa, the middle east, Phol Pot, Idi Amin. All Tribal Warfare that has simply escalated over the centuries. With todays modern weapons, it makes the task that much simpler. For those countries unable to afford such conveniences, a machete will do.

It is pure raw hated. In many cases, you can not physically tell the differences in your enemy. It is based on Religion or where someone lives.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have to think before reg'd some .me domains :D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see how .tv relates to .me
.me is a national TLD promoted as a catchphrase. But it's still a country TLD and it's dependent on that country's stability & ability to maintain it. That's something a lot of people that poured money into .me might have failed to take into account before investing.

It was an example. .tv was promoted in a similar way, not as a way to promote Tuvalu but as a way to distinguish your site from a .com (as in asseenon.tv etc..). .me was promoted in the same way, yes, we all knew where it was for, but IMO it's primarily a vanity tld (like many ccTLDs) and a very good one for the usage with the literal meaning (me).

As long as the reg fees and renewals keep coming in, ICANN will make sure .me is around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom