Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld Will Privacy kill the .ca aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple of comments about the developing aftermarket for .ca domains. Having looked up about a dozen in the last week for various purposes it has suddenly occurred to me that the privacy structure cira has set up it going to impact the aftermarket BIG TIME! (DUHHHH)

Let's face it there is no way for anyone other than us to know there is a way to contact at CIRA. That needs to be amended. They need a field in the whois or use an existing field to convey that info to the potential buyers.

Anyone have any serious contacts at CIRA we could start a discussion with?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They need a field in the whois or use an existing field to convey that info to the potential buyers.

That was my very first response after seeing the changes on the 10th. A simple link in the results would go a long way.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When a domain is in privacy status, the top of the whois results have the contact form which I've tested and works. Faster than most cira actions I should add. My only problem with the hyperlink to the contact form is that it is in a small enough font that it may be overlooked by speedy searchers.

I've wondered recently if the emails can be intercepted. Has anyone noticed a privacy policy for this form ?

Interested in contacting the holder of this domain name? CIRA offers an online Message Delivery Form that allows you to send a message to the Administrative Contact for this domain name.

mohrct

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have a thorough understanding of economics, but I think the new policy is going to help the aftermarket GROW.

Getting more end users in the game is essential, and expecting them to sift through whois results seems a little short sighted.

Aftermarket websites are the future, and the new whois privacy policy will push domain sellers towards using them more.

More sellers => More Listings => More Eyeballs => More Published sales => Better Market?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kevin that form only shows up if you search at CIRA. I've run searches at namepro and on private software and the link/info does not show up.

Aftermarket websites are the future, and the new whois privacy policy will push domain sellers towards using them more.

Yes but business people don't sit around domain auction sites waiting for the domain of the century to come up and then say let's start a business around it.

They go looking for specific category domains that probably aren't for sale and need to contact the owner. This will become the real aftermarket.

What happens here between domainers is chump change compared to what's coming from end users!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A simple solution to the default registrant protected whois results would be for a description field to be made available. That way a registrant can maintain the whois protection yet make it clearly evident they want to sell the domain, don't want offers, or whatever else they want.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You don't need to show the email address or break the privacy provisions. This (set) of field(s?) show up on every whois query. Regardless of where or how it is run.

"% WHOIS look-up made at 2008-06-18 19:01:15 (GMT)
%
% Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its Legal
% Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/en/legal_notice.html
%
% (c) 2007 Canadian Internet Registration Authority, (http://www.cira.ca/)

All we need is an amendment to this area to show the availability of contacting the registrant via CIRA. And that would solve the problem. It's not entirely ideal as some wouldn't read it but it's a start.

A simple solution to the default registrant protected whois results would be for a description field to be made available. That way a registrant can maintain the whois protection yet make it clearly evident they want to sell the domain, don't want offers, or whatever else they want.

Roy the problem is so many small domain owners won't even look at this nor will they realize the issue. They have the domains for other reasons (usually)

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I get hundreds of spam emails everyday because of the way they show the address.

Do (Did) you use the same e-mail address for .com's, and other places?
I receive less than 1% of the spam on my .ca email compared to .com.
Most people are hung-up on having a single, lifetime email address, as though it's a telephone number. Whenever my spam becomes persistent to one of my admin emails, I simply create a new one, and delete the old one. It takes all of 1 minute. (I haven't had to change my latest .ca admin email in nearly 2 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators