• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale WLS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2003
Messages
1,454
Reaction score
2
I saw somewhere a few months ago about how agents will be big if WLS hits. Is that true? If so, why?
 
what do you mean by "agents"?
 
Well, thats what I was trying find out lol.

I just saw somewhere that agents would be big for WLS. I am assuming like a broker? I guess for something like contacting domain owners before a domain expires. That is my best guess.
 
Yes, agents will act on behalf of interested parties to approach registrants directly should a WLS slot be taken.
 
Ok thanks, thats what I was looking for :).
 
Agent Smith.. :bandit:
 
Just wondering because I got DomainNameAgent.com this week :).
 
mole said:
Yes, agents will act on behalf of interested parties to approach registrants directly should a WLS slot be taken.

and vice versa...in fact I would say more versa :-)

Since under WLS the only chance you will have to get good names is to contact the owner directly, owners of good names will be fielding dozens of calls. Most of them know nothing about domain values. Agents will be contacting them too offering to help them get a fair price for their names (for a commission of course). They will serve the role of current real estate agents. I beleive many owners will turn to agents to represent them because the field is so unfamiliar to them. Seriously considered opening an agency myself if WLS comes in - but in the end decided I didn't have the time or want to deal with the potential landmines (you need to be bonded in case something you are brokering turns out to be stolen, etc).
 
From what I read the owner of a WLS subscription would be kept private, even from the domain owner. The domain owner would be notifed that a WLS has been taken, but not who took it. It would be hard for an agent to conact an unknown owner. You would then have to contact the registrant to try to buy/transfer before expiration.

I forsee the information services becoming more valuable. Now if you want to puck up a drop, you can do so just a few days before. With the WLS, information months in advance of expires will be important. I think pool and namewinner to go forward will have to use their partner registrars to offer WLS subscriptions from their sites in the months before expiration. I can even see them purchasing WLS subs themselves on known value domains to resell in their current auction sites. The bad part is now when you pay, you get a domain. With this change, you would prepay for the "chance" to get the domain, since the owner could renew giving you nothing but a partially used WLS. The proposed rules would preclude registrars from using inside info to obtain WLS subs, but not from buying or taking themselves from the public whois expire date data and status.
 
Once WLS is in effect, WLS subscribers will HATE domain owners that wait to the last minute to renew and make them waste months of their WLS subscription in false hope.
 
adoptabledomains said:
Once WLS is in effect, WLS subscribers will HATE domain owners that wait to the last minute to renew and make them waste months of their WLS subscription in false hope.

Why not just become good friends with the agents :bandit: :laugh:
 
adoptabledomains said:
Once WLS is in effect, WLS subscribers will HATE domain owners that wait to the last minute to renew and make them waste months of their WLS subscription in false hope.
Which of course covers almost everyone. Hey, and lets not forget the fact that registrars could even have expirations dates further out than the registry. If catchers only check the registry, they might be continually stymied by domain names that were never going to drop, and who's "auto-renew" is used by the lazy registrar who simply won't delete the name until their internal numbers are up.

For Example... look at the registry
and registrar expiration date on WEBFOLIO.COM.
Does it expire this year, or in 2006? Hm?

As has been noted, the only guarantee a name will be deleted will close to the expiration.

Nice, huh?
~ Nexus
 
Seriously considered opening an agency myself if WLS comes in - but in the end decided I didn't have the time or want to deal with the potential landmines (you need to be bonded in case something you are brokering turns out to be stolen, etc).
Hmmm, I was thinking about getting into myself after getting that domain, but did not know about the bonded part yet. Something I definitely need to look further into then. Thanks for the info, Duke:).
 
Most decent domains that drop have invalid contact information, therefor the registrant probably wouldn't even know that they got a WLS notice.

RMF
 
I noticed that someone put a snap on one of my names expiring next Nov.

And, I will not renew it until one or two weeks before expiration.

I will be a nice guy and let you know not to waste your wls exchange on one
of my names. If it is worth a wls, rest asure that I will renew it.
 
WLS got approved in Rome?
 
DomainOgre said:
WLS got approved in Rome?

Pending approval by the Department of Commerce (pass the buck) and negotiation of a registry agreement amendment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom