Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Won a Sedo auction. I'm concerned the seller will not follow through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zompus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've recently won an auction on Sedo, and am eagerly awaiting the seller to send the transfer codes. Is there an allotted time in that they are required to do so?

My concern is the seller is not going to follow through. If that is the case, are their any repercussions? I did direct these concerns at Sedo but they responded with copypasta gibberish.

Do I continue the waiting game? Should I message the seller directly? (I know he is a reputable member here and pushes many domains through Sedo.)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've recently won an auction on Sedo, and am eagerly awaiting the seller to send the transfer codes. Is there an allotted time in that they are required to do so?

My concern is the seller is not going to follow through. If that is the case, are their any repercussions? I did direct these concerns at Sedo but they responded with copypasta gibberish.

Do I continue the waiting game? Should I message the seller directly? (I know he is a reputable member here and pushes many domains through Sedo.)

you failed to mention, whether or not you have "paid" for the domain.

how long did you wait before you found this name?

if you won at good price.....then isn't it worth waiting for?

after all, you waited until the auction ended.

how many days have passed so far, since the close of the auction?

can you live without this name?

can you be more patient?

just something to consider -

imo....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just play Words with Friends in the meantime.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the answer is in your first line ...you won the domain at Sedo. contact Sedo.

Good Luck :yo:

zompus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you failed to mention, whether or not you have "paid" for the domain.
I have paid. I'm at the stage where I await the seller to send the transfer code.

how long did you wait before you found this name?

Not sure what you're asking here. I won it from an auction. I never made the initial bid that took it to the auction, but I did outbidded everyone to win it. :)

if you won at good price.....then isn't it worth waiting for?
Of course. I'm just concerned the seller will not honour the auction because I won it at a good price. :(

how many days have passed so far, since the close of the auction?

The auction ended a week ago, and Sedo sent the 'Seller preparing domain for transfer' message 3 days ago. I know 3 days isn't long, I just can't help shake the feeling I'm not getting the domain.

can you live without this name?

The domain is to be used for a project I've spent the past year working on. It fits perfectly. I suppose I can change it though. :(

Just play Words with Friends in the meantime.

Pahaha, but the suspense is killing me! If he isn't honouring the auction I'd rather know now so I can stop thinking about it.

the answer is in your first line ...you won the domain at Sedo. contact Sedo.

I have done but they talk to me like I'm a robot. They send copypasta messages and don't address me like a real person.

I don't understand why Sedo don't take control of the domains they auction. That'll prevent crap like this from happening to people.

Do you people think I should contact him directly, to try and spark him into action? I have his details from the contract sedo sent me. How long should I wait before giving up entirely? :(

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you people think I should contact him directly, to try and spark him into action? I have his details from the contract sedo sent me. How long should I wait before giving up entirely? :(

From many names listed and sold @ Sedo over the years experience... Let Sedo deal with it. If someone decide do not to pay for the name and do not value their account then you won't force it no matter what you say.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These things can sometimes move slowly - be patient.

It is normal to feel anxiety when you think you won a domain at a steal of a price and you really want it - it probably wasn't that great of a steal and you have nothing to worry about. You will probably look back on this in a year after that domain has sat around for a while and realize you paid a fair market price for the domain.

I had the exact same situation happen to me last year and I was so worried that the seller would back out or not transfer the name. They did, and a year later, while I am still happy with my purchase, it certainly wasn't the enormous bargain I made it out to be in my head when I first bought it.

zompus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These things can sometimes move slowly - be patient.

It is normal to feel anxiety when you think you won a domain at a steal of a price and you really want it - it probably wasn't that great of a steal and you have nothing to worry about. You will probably look back on this in a year after that domain has sat around for a while and realize you paid a fair market price for the domain.

I had the exact same situation happen to me last year and I was so worried that the seller would back out or not transfer the name. They did, and a year later, while I am still happy with my purchase, it certainly wasn't the enormous bargain I made it out to be in my head when I first bought it.

Thanks for the advice! I bloody hope you're right. I'll be patient.

From many names listed and sold @ Sedo over the years experience... Let Sedo deal with it. If someone decide do not to pay for the name and do not value their account then you won't force it no matter what you say.

The seller has 4 yellow bars on their seller activity index at Sedo. I imagine if push comes to shove, they would rather lose me as a customer than kill a cashcow.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In the past - I don't use Sedo any more - I insisted on account pushing, vs. transfers to another registrar. It's faster and puts Sedo on the spot to act as a mediator vs. a pencil pusher.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would be great if Sedo required sellers to push a domain to their Sedo account before a domain goes on live auction (as they require you take it down for sale at other venues, what if there's a higher buyer on one of them and a seller breaks the ToS? Money talks). I'm sure there would be more competition as it's in Sedo's hands at that point and would give reassurance to the buyer that the domain will be pushed shortly after the auction ends instead of a month long pencil tapping process waiting for domain names.

With API's it would be an easy function I believe... Push, verify with Sedo, they automatically perform API check if they have ownership at that registrar, update whois information, then put on auction (1 minute to a possible 1 business day human verification process, if the API is down or there is a technical error). After auction is over, winner gets domain after funds received or it's automatically pushed back to the owner. Not a hard process... They already get a minimum $50 minimum commission, for what? The same thing. Except with this process, you could probably eliminate 1-10 employees, suggestion: the ones that make it hard on both buyer and seller to get a domain name. ;)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You forget one thing: with some registrars (guess which ones), the domain is locked down for 60 days after a push, resulting in a pissed off customer who is unable to transfer the domain to their usual registrar right away.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
problem is: here we are people who do this more than the average person...and we have no idea what the heck is going on... imagine someone for the first time...it's actually a joke. JMO

look at escrow.com ...that's how you run a business.

:yo:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You forget one thing: with some registrars (guess which ones), the domain is locked down for 60 days after a push, resulting in a pissed off customer who is unable to transfer the domain to their usual registrar right away.

I understand that, but it seems Sedo has a relationship with many registrars and it could be pushed to the same registrar (Sedo's account) and pushed back to the customer(s) with the 60 day lock lifted. It would be new contract agreements, etc. but would be beneficial to their business model IMO.

They were able to lift the 60 day lock with Network Solutions and transfer to GoDaddy, it just took them an email to do so.

zompus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The sellers domain is with GoDaddy. Does this mean I'll be waiting at least 60 days to get it?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jeez, why don't you just pick up the phone and call the guy?

you can put yourself in the hospital with all of this anxiety.

either he will play with you or he won't. you said you just want to know, right? so call him and get it over with.

zompus

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jeez, why don't you just pick up the phone and call the guy?
Unfortunately I do not have his number.

I've today noticed the domain is listed in a GoDaddy auction. Is this normal? I would even contemplate bidding again if my money wasn't tied down into Sedo. FML :(

Are Sedo auctions this bloody pointless that people are allowed to re-list the domain for sale afterwards? Where is the honour!?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Call, email, IM, carrier pigeon, work with whatever tools you have.

Make a personal connection. You have nothing to lose.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Call, email, IM, carrier pigeon, work with whatever tools you have.

Make a personal connection. You have nothing to lose.

I agree...I would be wanting answers & details.

don't wait until they say ...oh sorry why didn't contact us earlier we could have done something.

Can't believe Sedo gets a commission on these sales and does nothing to earn it. BS IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators