Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WOW! Instead of buying a quality, existing domain, people look for quick gold-strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sent this as a PM to a user (let's not mention his name) that had bought hundreds of domain names on this sort of theme:

CubaWOW.com, HaitiWOW.com, BurkinaFasoWOW.com...

Am I right?

It's amazing to me that instead of buying an existing, high-quality domain name for $750 or $1,000, some people waste thousands of dollars on pure crap. (WOW! Real crap!) Is that just the short-sighted idea that there's a quick gold-strike to be made, without any serious research? If you want to know what a real domain name looks like, check out one of my posts.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:yo: :yo: :yo:

Funny one.

Yeah, if you spend hundreds of hours developing content for each one of those domains, and add advertisements, I guess you could make it self-sustaining.

But I think there is an inherent problem when human nature combines with the domain name industry. Instead of investing a few hundred or a few thousand bucks on a solid-investment (such as a single, common word in French + .com), people think they can still strike the gold mine and change a $5 registration into a fortune, as if this is still 1999.

Something in the human unconscious tells its host dufus, "Forget about those obvious, solid investments - they're claimed already. You can make miracles happen, old boy. Create your own industry by adding GOSH + .biz to common words. That's the ticket."

I wonder how many years it will take for those ninnies to finally realize the smart money is on the old and boring CommonWord.com - not on quick gold-strikes, but on already existing gems.

I saw this quote eariler:

"There is no such thing as a bad domain. It can always be used as a bad example. "

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just goes to show that there is too much liquidity in the economy still

Too bad money leads to malinvestment of capital

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But if that person can send lots of visitors by using any means, he can make money and we could not say he did wrong.

Otherwise .....

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possibly

sexwow.com might be good.

There is CDwow.com which is functioning business.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, some of the names others seem to think of as 'high-quality,' I don't rate at all. I can't speak as an experienced domainer, but I do know what I like in a domain name, and most of what gets offered to me through emails ain't it. I enjoy thinking up new names and checking to see if they're free. As fab says, $750-$1000 won't buy anything really good, so I might as well see if I can strike gold my way. There is a thrill in that pursuit, which is probably why I and others like me keep doing it.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're right! Good domain names are rarely for only 1K. But it's better to look for that seller in distress than to waste everything on meaningless gobble-dee-guk.

He does have a valid point. I just wonder how do we find those names for the prices he said.

Last edited:

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This isn't the political forum!

You're right! Good domain names are rarely for only 1K. But it's better to look for that seller in distress than to waste everything on meaningless gobble-dee-guk.
I agreed with you on the basic point, but those of us who are were new, and short of cash sometimes dream of getting those miracle registration fee domains, which rarely happens .

The second problem is that it actually takes lots of time, research and funds to buy quality domains as well. Most domains selling for XX,XXX are worthless as well.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen some city names from third world countries which were available long after they probably should have been registered. But that still counts as basically being a OneWord.com or at least a OneName.com.

But one of the silly things people do is to combine several words that simply don't go together, then register hundreds of names based on that model. Now they have to renew that every year, costing hundreds of dollars.

For example, I sold some Nigerian states + .com to a lady, each one for about a thousand. Then she got the idea to register all of the states on this model: NigerianState1.com, with the numeral 1 in there. Now, instead of wasting money on that, she could have bought another actual NigerianState.com -- and each of these states has several million inhabitants.

Actually, some of the names others seem to think of as 'high-quality,' I don't rate at all. I can't speak as an experienced domainer, but I do know what I like in a domain name, and most of what gets offered to me through emails ain't it. I enjoy thinking up new names and checking to see if they're free. As fab says, $750-$1000 won't buy anything really good, so I might as well see if I can strike gold my way. There is a thrill in that pursuit, which is probably why I and others like me keep doing it.

Last edited:

WebsiteTraders.Com

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hand Regs aren't all bad.......new conecpts come, new technolgies are coming........if u can do proper research you can surely find some good keyword or typin domains.......the old ones are a safe lot.......but as we all know domainers have this inherent quality to think outside the box and find something interesting that others havent.......i would not recommend spending thousands in hand regs. but one in a while when u you come accross a gem and you research and have the confidence to sell it..........there is no reason to leave it either just coz it doesn't have so many word tracker searches

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you, you're right. New things do pop up, even in 2008. In my experience, when a country reorganizes itself and creates new provinces, for example, I'm frequently the first one there registering all of the new provinces.

The cases that you cite are also good ones: new technologies, new concepts, etc.

But it's frustrating to see the bulk of people, who don't do a very good job of being on the cutting edge, think they can create their own cutting edge by adding SUPER + .info to words. Why don't they start with common words, or city or state names? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a state with five million people might be worth something.

Hand Regs aren't all bad.......new conecpts come, new technolgies are coming........if u can do proper research you can surely find some good keyword or typin domains.......the old ones are a safe lot.......but as we all know domainers have this inherent quality to think outside the box and find something interesting that others havent.......i would not recommend spending thousands in hand regs. but one in a while when u you come accross a gem and you research and have the confidence to sell it..........there is no reason to leave it either just coz it doesn't have so many word tracker searches

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think most domainers start with unrealistic views on their domains . As time goes by, things will hopefully improve. If not improving, then.....

There are many domains I didn't register which might be valuable to many domainers.

I am thinking of starting a newsletter service to send out those domain lists to the domainers.

Last edited:

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember one of my first domains was AmericanShotgun.com, back in 2000.

I thought I had really claimed a gold mine. I would be the seigneur of all shotguns purchased in America! Yes!

I see that the name is now available for registration.

I think most domainers start with unrealistic views on their domains . As time goes by, things will hopefully improve. If not improving, then.....

WebsiteTraders.Com

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thats right Brian & one can also buy an old quad premium for 1K.........the good thing abt old domain is that the SE's respect them a lot.....so this might not sound to great to an average domainer but this is wat developers and end users with a good budget look for.........and the name should make sense

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are new technologies coming up all the time. I read an article recently about seawater greenhouses, and was able to reg seawatergreenhouse.org & the plural of the .com and .org. Maybe nothing will come of it, but you have to take a chance sometimes, and interest in eco names is growing.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want great quality existing domains you need to spend at least high x,xxx (more like in the xx,xxx range) unless lightning strikes and you are the one who gets in touch with that one seller at the exact right time...and understand that most all sellers of decent names which are not developed have been contacted at least 20-50 times with lowball offers and some good offers. I'm not saying it can not be done...as I have an example where a seller would not budge under 40k...I offered 15k....seller passed. I then see the name at Moniker's extended auction with a reserve of around 5k....name sells for 5k :cool: ...go figure.

This time there were some amazing deals in the Moniker extended auction for NY traffic (which were passed on) - which you will not ever see again IMO as sellers who wanted to have their names in the live auction set low reserves as suggested by Moniker...and got burned in the extended auction....which I'm sure people have learned their lesson.

Really in the aftermarket, you have to pick your spots well, bring money, be pursuasive and get lucky...if you do not have a pile of cash....what's left? Drops and hand regs.

I love it when people say that all the good names are already registered...that what everyone was saying in 1999 as well...keep thinking that please...

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree that you need to pay xx,xxx for a decent domain. Maybe for super premium, you're right. I recently bought rdcongo.com for only $1,500, for example. Now, as you can see from the Web site of the president of RD Congo (hyperlink), "RDCongo" is the commonly used short name for the country. There is also Congo-Brazzaville (a different country), so merely saying "Congo" does not work as a short form.

If you want great quality existing domains you need to spend at least high x,xxx (more like in the xx,xxx range) unless lightning strikes and you are the one who gets in touch with that one seller at the exact right time...and understand that most all sellers of decent names which are not developed have been contacted at least 20-50 times with lowball offers and some good offers. I'm not saying it can not be done...as I have an example where a seller would not budge under 40k...I offered 15k....seller passed. I then see the name at Moniker's extended auction with a reserve of around 5k....name sells for 5k :cool: ...go figure.

This time there were some amazing deals in the Moniker extended auction for NY traffic (which were passed on) - which you will not ever see again IMO as sellers who wanted to have their names in the live auction set low reserves as suggested by Moniker...and got burned in the extended auction....which I'm sure people have learned their lesson.

Really in the aftermarket, you have to pick your spots well, bring money, be pursuasive and get lucky...if you do not have a pile of cash....what's left? Drops and hand regs.

I love it when people say that all the good names are already registered...that what everyone was saying in 1999 as well...keep thinking that please...

Last edited:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree that you need to pay xx,xxx for a decent domain. Maybe for super premium, you're right. I recently bought rdcongo.com for only $1,500, for example. Now, as you can see from the Web site of the president of RD Congo (hyperlink), "RDCongo" is the commonly used short name for the country. There is also Congo-Brazzaville (a different country), so merely saying "Congo" does not work as a short form.

Lightning can strike...it is foolhardy to say you cannot get a decent name under a few k...but I am usually talking about better than decent....I can hand reg decent names and do so every day...I have turned hand reggs into 1k+ numerous times just this year alone....please keep thinking it cannot be done.

Actually right now is the time to get names in that price range from buydomains (sub 3k range)....they are giving out great deals for "decent" names....I'd say next year at this time buydomains will not be giving so many deals. I have negotiated a name down from $6888 and got it at $1200...absolute category killer IMO....deals can be found for 'Decent' names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom