Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

WOW! Instead of buying a quality, existing domain, people look for quick gold-strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
back on 90s i try to reg some names for example cyprus . com wich is my country and the domain was free that time. the point is i didn now that have any value but i just wanted it for develop it as hobby. but unfortunately that time it was not allowed to use my credit card exept cyprus. also that time was free pap.com and andy.com wich is my name.
so sometimes is but luck

Agree. Those so called big domainers ride some luck.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the truth is that not everybody can afford those "premium" domains.this is the internet for crying out loud.what's to say what's considered premium or not. it's the content you put on the domain that makes it valuable. rapper 50 cents already has offers to get his website "thisis50.com" off his hands.you can't tell me that's a premium domain.it's all about how you market that domain and turn it into something valuable,that's what makes this business so great.before youtube blew up would you have bought that domain off anybody? maybe not, but now youtube gets millions of viewers daily.imo i think if the person has the right idea,the domain will get traffic regardless. that's of course if the owner doesn't just park the name and let it rot it can become very valuable.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
youtube.com, google.com, yahoo.com, all have now been mentioned in this thread as silly-sounding names on an inherent level.

The truth is, they're all better than the BurkinaFasoWow.com mentioned in the opening post of this thread. They're all easy to spell, not very long, and all either short words, short two-words, or a short pseudo-word.

Burkina Faso is a country most Americans have probably never heard of (which doesn't mean much, most Europeans and Africans are perfectly familiar with it.) BurkinaFaso.com is worth a lot. Adding the definite article to a French name is also a good idea, so LeBurkina.com, LeFaso.com, and LeBurkinaFaso.com are all valuable, since the country is sometimes just called "Le Faso" or "Le Burkina". Also, Burkinabe.com is really good (national adjective, name of inhabitant). But adding an American English word like "Wow" is meaningless in the Burkinabe context.

Long story short: Burkina Faso, a nation of fifteen million, almost fits into the marginal item category, simply because it's quite poor. That means there's only about five to ten domain names related to the name Burkina Faso that are very prime. You can't just register BurkinaMeNow.com and think you will become rich.

The Seawater Greenhouse is definitely a marginal term, and will remain of dubious domain value even if the technology becomes important. SeawaterGreenhouses.org, which was mentioned earlier as a good catch, is a good example of taking a marginal concept one or two steps too far. A marginal concept in the .org is perhaps within limits, but then adding the plural form is the coup de grâce.

Point is, for every term or concept, there might be at least one to ten valuable associated domain names. You need to be able to stop yourself if the domain does not have a spot on that list.

Seek out those names. If you can't hand register them, ask the current owners how much they want for them. If the price is too high, move on to the next idea or term. DON'T just start registering terms that are #15 on the list associated with a marginal item, as you are just wasting money that could be better saved to eventually buy #2.

the truth is that not everybody can afford those "premium" domains.this is the internet for crying out loud.what's to say what's considered premium or not. it's the content you put on the domain that makes it valuable. rapper 50 cents already has offers to get his website "thisis50.com" off his hands.you can't tell me that's a premium domain.it's all about how you market that domain and turn it into something valuable,that's what makes this business so great.before youtube blew up would you have bought that domain off anybody? maybe not, but now youtube gets millions of viewers daily.imo i think if the person has the right idea,the domain will get traffic regardless. that's of course if the owner doesn't just park the name and let it rot it can become very valuable.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"wow" domains are not too bad.

e.g.

sanitywow.com sold for 5000

and a few other "wow" domains xxxx range.

Healthinsurancewow.com sold for 1000.

What a sale?

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Were those domains developed when sold? It's hard to believe they brought those prices purely on the power of RandomWord + Wow.

If undeveloped, that would suggest some people have no taste or sense of worth, which actually might justify speculating on worthless domains.

Meanwhile, those of us with prime geographic domains, let's use an official country name such as RepublicOfBotswana.com as an example, get ignored by the people mentioned above.

"wow" domains are not too bad.

e.g.

sanitywow.com sold for 5000

and a few other "wow" domains xxxx range.

Healthinsurancewow.com sold for 1000.

What a sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom