Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

WOW! Instead of buying a quality, existing domain, people look for quick gold-strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're on the cutting edge of new terms/usages, in which case I'm sure you are able to still hand-reg valuable domains.

This thread, however, is about the hordes of people who waste thousands of dollars on hair-brained schemes, instead of using that same money to buy a few good domains.

If anyone reading this feels he may fall into this category, here is a suggestion.

Take an official country name, say, some smaller country. It might look like this:

RepublicOfExample.com

Look up the WHOIS data, write to the administrative email address. You might be surprised and get it for only 1 or 2 thousand.

Or, try the states of a large federal country, say, Nigeria. Each one of those has several million inhabitants, and you can still get an ExampleState.com for only 1K. I can promise you that much.

Lightning can strike...it is foolhardy to say you cannot get a decent name under a few k...but I am usually talking about better than decent....I can hand reg decent names and do so every day...I have turned hand reggs into 1k+ numerous times just this year alone....please keep thinking it cannot be done.

Actually right now is the time to get names in that price range from buydomains (sub 3k range)....they are giving out great deals for "decent" names....I'd say next year at this time buydomains will not be giving so many deals. I have negotiated a name down from $6888 and got it at $1200...absolute category killer IMO....deals can be found for 'Decent' names...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's all about niches....and new tech...but niches primarily.

I agree that there are alot of hair-brained regs though.

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Instead of investing a few hundred or a few thousand bucks on a solid-investment (such as a single, common word in French + .com), people think they can still strike the gold mine and change a $5 registration into a fortune"

It's called 'different strokes for different folks'. As long as it's not my cash they're spending, I'm cool with it.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
THis is touching on exactly what I did last year (until earlier this year). If I didn't register all of the names I'm dropping now I'd have a lot more cash. Even names I registered as late as Feb / March of 2008.

It's all part of the learning process, no more "wow, this is a cool name" becomes "wow, this is really a good name".

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He's free to do what he wants.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course I believe people should be perfectly free to register any name they like, even this one:

wow-I-am-a fool.cc

Of course, I'm trying to do two things:

1. Help people out by suggesting that instead of wasting thousands of dollars on silly names that they will have to renew every year, they consider consolidating their efforts on buying a few names of high quality.

2. As a holder of quality domains, with an emphasis on geographic domains, expand the pool of buyers for highly-visible domains.

"Instead of investing a few hundred or a few thousand bucks on a solid-investment (such as a single, common word in French + .com), people think they can still strike the gold mine and change a $5 registration into a fortune"

It's called 'different strokes for different folks'. As long as it's not my cash they're spending, I'm cool with it.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Of course I believe people should be perfectly free to register any name they like, even this one:

wow-I-am-a fool.cc

1. Help people out by suggesting that instead of wasting thousands of dollars on silly names that they will have to renew every year, they consider consolidating their efforts on buying a few names of high quality.

2. As a holder of quality domains, with an emphasis on geographic domains, expand the pool of buyers for highly-visible domains.

But if he got good marketing plan and skills, any domains can be okay for the websites. He may not just intend for domaining.

There are even much worse domains which are very popular.

eg. craigslist.org

I often mis-spell the domain. VegasWow.com might be not be not as bad as that as far as spelling concerns.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

2. As a holder of quality domains, with an emphasis on geographic domains, expand the pool of buyers for highly-visible domain
What I find difficult about this is really estimating future values, and a present bargain, as well as liquidity.

But if he got good marketing plan and skills, any domains can be okay for the websites. He may not just intend for domaining.
That's not the topic here though, but it's obviously right, Google.com,Yahoo.com,Lycos.Com,etc.

brianluedke

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for stepping up and saying, "Yeah, he's talking about me."

Many of us registered silly names when we first started. I did too.

THis is touching on exactly what I did last year (until earlier this year). If I didn't register all of the names I'm dropping now I'd have a lot more cash. Even names I registered as late as Feb / March of 2008.

It's all part of the learning process, no more "wow, this is a cool name" becomes "wow, this is really a good name".

Of course any short, pronounceable name can work if you've got massive resources and a solid business plan backing you up. But as Fab noted, I don't think that's what's going on in the case I mentioned in the opening post of this thread.

There are even much worse domains which are very popular.

eg. craigslist.org

I often mis-spell the domain. VegasWow.com might be not be not as bad as that as far as spelling concerns.

Last edited:

Hurley4540

Hurley4540.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am reading this thread and I just started domaining a few months ago.

I now some-what know what is a good domain.

I also stopped registering names I though "looked cool".

I also stopped registering "John Doe" .info's because I found out the renewal isn't just 1 or 2 dollars. It's like $8 each.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I also stopped registering "John Doe" .info's because I found out the renewal isn't just 1 or 2 dollars. It's like $8 each.

Tough learning curve huh? Change of profession may be in order? (Though I'd hate to see your quality posts disappear off the radar .. how about 50 NP$ for every post you don't make?)

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yes, info renewal is at expensive as .com. Therefore why we bother to get .info unless very good keyword domains.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Same here, the registrars loved to lure you in with $0.99 and $1.99 .info domains which are sweet but then the renewal fees hit you a year later. I've dropped the majority of my .info domains, I've only kept a handful (not including ones I have the other TLDs for).

As Mulligan said, it is a tough learning curve and a very hard one since it hits us directly in the wallet.

Ever bought any good already-registered domains?

I just got one that my wife wanted for her group plus I picked up a few very good ones though drop catchers and post-drop registrations (I want for it to expire then I hand-reg it, very risky but worth it).

shenron

Motorward.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WoW - World of Warcraft :D so WOWWOW looks nice (and it's regged atm)

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even though I said:

"It's called 'different strokes for different folks'. As long as it's not my cash they're spending, I'm cool with it."

I do understand and agree with what you're saying. In 1997 - 2000 I registerd some real duds also. Plus they were $35 to register and renew. This was when Network Solutions was Internic. Needless to say that I did let quite a few drop. But there was plenty of good domains back then though. Not many left now.

I have registered some duds since then too.

Last edited:

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can, on rare occasion, hand reg a decent name still. It is quite rare though. You can find drop bargains for $60 and sometimes with a Go Daddy drop for areas which you know something about. I also even bought an excellent two word name at NameJet that went for much less than I would have expected even with 46 bidders. A lot of names drop and there are still bargains to be had. On the other hand, it is hard to understand the mass registrations that you see for 'EveryCity(or country)WOW.com'. I guess that there is the 'IamSeattle.com' thing but that has got to be a fluke.

freneros

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
back on 90s i try to reg some names for example cyprus . com wich is my country and the domain was free that time. the point is i didn now that have any value but i just wanted it for develop it as hobby. but unfortunately that time it was not allowed to use my credit card exept cyprus. also that time was free pap.com and andy.com wich is my name.
so sometimes is but luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom