Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Yugoslavia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Thanks for rendering us some insider's perspective. THAT's the kind of INFORMED critique (at least about former Yugoslav republics) we need. ;)

Glad you finally agree, the uninformed comment you made was not needed!

Since this has become a discussions about this region in some ways, I will say I think too much is pinned on the EU accension, but if nothing else it gives the hope that is needed for things to move forward. In Bulgaria, it is now hard to find people to fill positions, where before people searched for non-existent positions. They now have mortgages available for the first time, and people are investing in the future, instead of stealing it by striping the metals from the utility wires and selling it for scrap. While I hope it is not given in too many peoples minds to be a 'return of the king' effect, it is some good signs for this region. It seems to finally be getting on its feet while the world looks at other events, which helps support in some ways the idea that 'too much bad help is worse then no help'.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To stay on topic, the original mentioning about Yugoslavia not being a formal political entity and its relatively worsening economy was meant in context with regards to Yugoslavia.net's bidding price at Pool.com. Of course, we very often stray a bit off course in discussion forums; and as moderators, we have to allow that as well as some nonsense to a certain extent once in a while. Personally, I think it's silly to categorically disallow discussion related to politics, but please keep in mind that we are talking about Yugoslavia.net and NOT Yugoslavia per se. So when you talk about the bombing of Yugoslavia, make sure you are able to relate it to the low (or high) bidding price of Yugoslavia.net at Pool.com. Thanks.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
A country that supports people like Milosevic, Karadic, and Mladic doesn't fit well with any meaningful definition of "Christian".

Well said.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
nameslave said:
To stay on topic, the original mentioning about Yugoslavia not being a formal political entity and its relatively worsening economy was meant in context with regards to Yugoslavia.net's bidding price at Pool.com. Of course, we very often stray a bit off course in discussion forums; and as moderators, we have to allow that as well as some nonsense to a certain extent once in a while. Personally, I think it's silly to categorically disallow discussion related to politics, but please keep in mind that we are talking about Yugoslavia.net and NOT Yugoslavia per se. So when you talk about the bombing of Yugoslavia, make sure you are able to relate it to the low (or high) bidding price of Yugoslavia.net at Pool.com. Thanks.

Whether or not the name is still valid is irrelevant. Some tried to devaluate my high appreciation of the name citing "3rd world" inaccuracies ;-) Unless you have lived in the region for 30 years, like I did, you'll be unable to understand the mentality and culture of the Serbs.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whatever the "politics" of the region you cannot ignore the historical significance of Yugoslavia and it will be a long time before it is forgotten.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess the price said it all. These days, we can only have modest names bid up unreasonably high, but seldom the other way round.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I was caught up at work and was unable to follow the bidding, or it would have ended higher.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Whether or not the name is still valid is irrelevant. Some tried to devaluate my high appreciation of the name citing "3rd world" inaccuracies ;-) Unless you have lived in the region for 30 years, like I did, you'll be unable to understand the mentality and culture of the Serbs.
Perhaps you have forgotten that Yugoslavia (just like the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia) was more a construct than a nation. And this brings down the value of the domain when the formal entity no longer exists. And when we factor in the economy, this "country" name .net is CLEARLY less valuable than e.g. Poland.net, not to say France.net.

By the way, I don't think I would give a lecture on the three worlds theory for free.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With due regard for keeping the conversation to the subject of domain names, then maybe you can get a good deal on Rambouillet.com. It was a good deal at the time, and would have saved a lot of trouble.

Milosevic might be held captive in Hague - but that's where Bush should eventually go as well.

No argument from me there.

And I agree that the name would primarily have value among the self-appointed martyrs of a distorted history. Last year's "victims" have a habit of becoming next year's most dangerous oppressors.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Perhaps you have forgotten that Yugoslavia (just like the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia) was more a construct than a nation. And this brings down the value of the domain when the formal entity no longer exists. And when we factor in the economy, this "country" name .net is CLEARLY less valuable than e.g. Poland.net, not to say France.net.

By the way, I don't think I would give a lecture on the three worlds theory for free.

Yes, much like China is today.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
nameslave said:

"Existance" is subjective. Again, one of the reasons the US foreign policy fails; not enough knowledge and understanding of the "outsider".

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had mixed reservations on going to war with "Yugoslavia". My greatest concern was the use of depleted uranium IN KOSOVO. Since the late 1980's America has become use to using depleted uranium in its munitions as it slices through tanks like butter. But like any toxic and radioactive substance depleted uranium stays in the environment and is very likely to cause serious illnesses for those who come in contact with it.

I say very likely because the Pentagon refuses to investigate any health claims and denies that it does anything wrong. Europe is furious about it while we bat a blind eye in response.

Depleted uranium should be considered a WMD and it's use should cease immediately.

Here is a link to many resources for understanding the plague that has been spread to Puerto Rico, Kosovo, and Iraq:

http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/du.htm

This link is to a story of the contamination on the island of Visques, Puerto Rico where the Navy first tested depleted uranium and now cancers and serious illnesses on the island are up over 300%:

http://www.thegully.com/essays/puertorico/010212depleted_uranium.html

(first tests were done in Puerto Rico in the 1980's. I learned this from attending the " March on the Pentagon" 1999 2 weeks before we finally quit bombing the former Republic into the stone age)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DU is toxic as hell, as are many heavy metals. The use of plain old lead shot has been banned in many waterfowl hunting areas for that very reason. Lead is not something you want lying around either.... or genocidal regimes, for that matter.

However, the key thing about DU is the "D". It is what is left over after producing enriched uranium, and is LESS of a radiological hazard than good old natural uranium which is found in trace amounts in rocks, soils, rivers, and seawater.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about the NRC's reclassification of many low-level radioactive medical wastes as "below regulatory concern", thus allowing the recovery of contaminated metals to be used in things like jewelry.

And... oh, uh, yeah, depleteduranium.com will be a good investment for years to come in view of the controversy surrounding its use.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Although an overall Clinton supporter, I don't lke those that order the bombing of a fellow Christian nation.

...but it's OK to bomb a nation that follows a different religion?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
And... oh, uh, yeah, depleteduranium.com will be a good investment for years to come in view of the controversy surrounding its use.

That address would really only make sense if you were intending to sell the stuff commercially (or perhaps to sell disposal services for it?)... a noncommercial informational site discussing depleted uranium would, of course, be more sensibly placed at depleteduranium.org or depleteduranium.info .

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
dtobias said:
...but it's OK to bomb a nation that follows a different religion?

Again I will point you to the direction of lack of understanding of the culture and way of thinking in that particular region.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It seems Yugoslavia.net was taken by BuyDomains - it seems they know something we don't :-D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
It seems Yugoslavia.net was taken by BuyDomains - it seems they know something we don't :-D

Just because BD grabbed it does not mean it's worth that much, IMO. I have seen many crap names taken by BD, including a number of names I let drop as they seemed worthless but BD got them on the drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom