Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

legal Ñ˜Ñ€.com – I was a victim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sedo only shows the punny-code in what amounts to a footnote on the way to entering a bid.

That should suffice. Whoever peruses the Sedo marketplace has fair warning of whether a domain is an IDN or not.

DomainDep.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a solution!
But will sedo do it ? They should

there's a simple solution for this...
Sedo should list the domain being sold as xn--p1a1c.com, NOT "jp.com"
Why? Because every other domain is listed in the native language of the page... it makes absolutely no sense to be showing the punycode translated domain as the primary listing when obviously that is not "what it seems".
Basically, the primary (and REAL domain) is xn--p1a1c.com. it is not "whatever that translates to by work of magical unicorns running the interwebs...

Will SEDO do it? Not likely. Ask yourself why...

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

the "footnote" should be the translated punycode, not the other way around... they actually are complicate in perpetrating the intended confusion by doing it the way they are.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can see that most people have jumped on the "it shows it's an IDN" etc. Rightly so -CAVEAT EMPTOR -I hope none of you guys get caught in similar ways.

What seems to be very quickly dismissed is that every one of these names that were registered,in some cases this month,are getting bids often in the $xxxx range to get them off and running,clearly shill bids-this is the much bigger problem and at the moment Sedo are not addressing the issue and by doing so are condoning it and you will only see more of it happening.

It's blindingly easy to see and I pretty well sure the majority if not all of these scam names are started with a shill bid and this is on the number 1 sales platform for domain names-very sad!

richface

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
100% Shill bidding. I have been tempted many times to bid on these domains. But luckily for me I always research a domain before buying. I also noticed how quickly these newly registered domains get to auction. Its a total disgrace, worthless domains such as these selling for $1,000. Makes me so angry and is funny how they get featured so quickly on the frontpage too dodgy.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
let's not forget, many idn domain names get traffic and produce revenue

though they can be confusing, they are not scam names in general

when the sellers' motivation is to scam or deceive someone, then that term can be applied

imo...

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
let's not forget, many idn domain names get traffic and produce revenue

though they can be confusing, they are not scam names in general

when the sellers' motivation is to scam or deceive someone, then that term can be applied

imo...

In this particular incident the main motivation is definitely to deceive people into believing that they're bidding on the actual alphanumeric domain name. Also, domains like ЕУЕ.COM (which is currently in Sedo auction with several bids :confused: ) does not get any traffic.

Genuine IDN-domains that are actual words in their respective language is a whole different matter.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got a reply from Sedo on blog justifying their actions and ignoring any reference to shill bidding on the phishing domains.

Incredibly they included a link to another phishing domain currently on auction!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Now you know why my position on IDN domains hasn't changed: they still suck.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now you know why my position on IDN domains hasn't changed: they still suck.

And what's your position on obvious shill bidding?

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got a reply from Sedo on blog justifying their actions and ignoring any reference to shill bidding on the phishing domains.

Incredibly they included a link to another phishing domain currently on auction!

Based on a few exchanges with Sedo on suggestions I have made them, my perception is that Sedo's management climate encourages defensive PR rather than long-term cost/benefit analysis.

Not all of my suggestions are are right, but the pattern of their responses is interesting. For example, I recently suggested that Sedo would get more participation in their "Great Domains" auction if they scheduled it to end later--instead of at 9 a.m. in the west coast of the United States (when working professionals are waking up and driving to work). Their answer was cordial but dismissive: Sedo has clientele in the western United States who know about the auction.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you prove the shill bidding?

Multiple newly registered domains that look like ASCII but are in fact IDN from the same owner each wih an opening bid often in excess of $1000.

Try making an educated guess as to what is happening!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I can make a speculation but without solid proof and with Sedo's backing I can't say it's "shill bidding". More like someone didn't know what they were bidding on.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First Things First. The bidder shares most of the blame here. Extremely reckless and naive at best and an outright idiot at the worst. A modicum of inquiry done before spending $1,100 on the domain would have revealed enough red flags to warrant more investigation and caution, in fact simply reading the info provided on the bidding page would have revealed the truth. Should SEDO and the seller been more forthright in the description? Probably, but the backboe of free commerce is "Caveat Emptor". The easier way to get big money out of people is to pray upon their own greed. Odds are that this buyer couldn't see clearly because they had too many dollar signs clouding his vision.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
First Things First. The bidder shares most of the blame here. Extremely reckless and naive at best and an outright idiot at the worst. A modicum of inquiry done before spending $1,100 on the domain would have revealed enough red flags to warrant more investigation and caution, in fact simply reading the info provided on the bidding page would have revealed the truth. Should SEDO and the seller been more forthright in the description? Probably, but the backboe of free commerce is "Caveat Emptor". The easier way to get big money out of people is to pray upon their own greed. Odds are that this buyer couldn't see clearly because they had too many dollar signs clouding his vision.

I'm sorry I cannot "like" this post twice :D Well-said.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yet it can be argued that the sale is vitiated and can be deemed null and invalid.
Just because there is no shortage of suckers in this industry doesn't mean you can or should abuse them with impunity :D

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yet it can be argued that the sale is vitiated and can be deemed null and invalid. Just because there is no shortage of suckers in this industry doesn't mean you can or should abuse them with impunity :D

Had to look up vitiated. ;)

Anything can be argued, See my kids for an example of that. That doesn't make the sale invalid or even legally deceptive. The legal hurdle is much higher than simply, "Hey, that's tricky." The advertising industry was built on that balance. Part of the penalty for being stupid is having to live with your stupid decisions. See my perm in the HS yearbook as an example. I do feel a little bad for the buyer but not so much as to absolve him of his actions. If SEDO wants to be a more consumer friendly marketplace, they could put giant flashing banners to indicate ALL the faults with domains (Misspellings, TM risks, IDNs, Previously Banned, What the meanings are in all different languages, it's urban dictionary meaning, etc...) Remember, SEDO is a marketplace for sellers as well as buyers and they have to strike a balance as well.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that these sales don't make it to the reported sales at DNJ and elsewhere.
My guess is that they just do not complete, for a reason.

I would say it's a form of payback for the seller, you pimp crap and you get shit in return.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can make a speculation but without solid proof and with Sedo's backing I can't say it's "shill bidding". More like someone didn't know what they were bidding on.

Even without Sedo's backing I will be happy to say that the bids that start these off are shill-sue me,then we would see.

Sedo by their silence are making matters worse and unless they come out and say that they have investigated these auctions/sales and categorically state that there was no shill bidding then I for one am 100% convinced it is happening and have no qualms in saying it on the open forum.

The Russian woman has another one currently on Sedo auction and she has now been joined by a Ukranian who tried to sell his his rubbish on Nampros and they prevented it by closing the thread. See my blog for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom