Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

發.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPTL

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Indisputably the single word most desirable for all Chinese and Business.
The most likely domain to become the most expensive IDN in the world.
Make your comments if you do not agree.
I am accepting offers at 6 figures.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK. But what does it mean?

CPTL said:

duskdawn

DN.CC
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
loscocco said:
what is the name of the IDN?
The traditional Chinese for "getting rich". The simplified is 发.
Do you know why Chinese people like number 8? It is because 8 sounds like 發 in Cantonese.
Very decent name.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
發.com is a very very nice IDN name, congrats.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CPTL said:

I'm sorry I have to disagree but let me see if I can help you understand some things. Six figures is higly unreasonable for an unknown commodity. No one is going to buy land in Antartica for the potential one day the Ozone may warm the place to make it habitabul. Listen, it is ok to be excited about a great name, to share you excitement but you must temper it with real world expectations or you will never sell it. IDN's are potentially worth some money but that potential is not going to make people pay throught the nose to obtain something that may or may not have value. Why would they? I can spend 100k on domains that will earn me money, I can a very nice website for 100k. There are allot of things you can do with 100k, even when and if IDN's become popular this name might reasonably only fetch x,xxx. There are many, many good names to be obtained. Outpricing yourself this early is a very bad move. I have bought IDN's in here worth more in terms of their .com counterpart. The thing for all IDN's is we have yet to see if there is an industry demand for these names. In the future I do believe they will have a place but it took 10 years for .com to get a foothold, it may take some time for IDN's also. We'll see and with that I wish you all the best with your name(s), just don't be too quick to think emotionally.

Acro

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
I'm sorry I have to disagree but let me see if I can help you understand some things. Six figures is higly unreasonable for an unknown commodity. No one is going to buy land in Antartica for the potential one day the Ozone may warm the place to make it habitabul. Listen, it is ok to be excited about a great name, to share you excitement but you must temper it with real world expectations or you will never sell it. IDN's are potentially worth some money but that potential is not going to make people pay throught the nose to obtain something that may or may not have value. Why would they? I can spend 100k on domains that will earn me money, I can a very nice website for 100k. There are allot of things you can do with 100k, even when and if IDN's become popular this name might reasonably only fetch x,xxx. There are many, many good names to be obtained. Outpricing yourself this early is a very bad move. I have bought IDN's in here worth more in terms of there .com counterpart. The thing for all IDN's is we have yet to see if there is an industry demand for these names. In the future I do believe they will have a place but it took 10 years for .com to get a foothold, it may take some time for IDN's also. We'll see and with that I wish you all the best with your name(s), just don't be too quick to think emotionally.

Acro

Very well put. I have some IDN's myself and have spent X,XXX on an IDN on occasion, but we all need to keep in mind that not one single famous website is hosted on an IDN. Before long all types of domains have to MAKE money to be worth money, or else they become wortheless.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sevent said:
Very well put. I have some IDN's myself and have spent X,XXX on an IDN on occasion, but we all need to keep in mind that not one single famous website is hosted on an IDN.

Wrong.
There are thousands of websites using IDN's.
A sampling below:

カスタ�*バイク.com
競馬サ�*ン.com
くまちゃんず.com
358ぱん�*.com
ゼノサーガエピソード3.com
讃岐うどん.com
山崎商事.com
�*イヤルワールド.com
湘南.com
新生活.com
フ�*ーレンス.com
入居者募集�*.com
�*�生マンション.com
相木農園.com
大塚文雄.com
ハワイ出産.com
白楽.com
�*ングダ�*ハーツ.com
ゲー�*検索.com
セ�*ュリティマンション.com
不動産賃貸.com
谷野.com
柴犬.com
たまてばこ.com
日本平.jp
お店探し.com
駐禁.com
伊豆高原.com
みどり電機.com
おしぼり.jp
�*�節の花.com
屋形船.com
まろ.jp
市川園.com
無料回収.com
プラネタリウ�*.jp
すぎもと�*�科.com
星の情�*�.jp
人形ケース.com
桜坂茶房茶茶.jp
ヒーラーシューズ.com
横田�*�科.com
比較.com
価�*�.com
メッセンジャー.jp
日経.jp
�*売.jp
日本語.jp
日食�*継.jp
�*袋駅.jp
渋谷駅.jp
新宿駅.jp
全国温泉ガイド.jp
内部統制.jp
人名辞典.jp

Maybe you would also care to speculate as to why Microsoft, Google, Yahoo et al are buying up IDN's? For fun maybe...

Before long all types of domains have to MAKE money to be worth money, or else they become wortheless.

My IDN's ARE making money

And... You fail to grasp the cultural 'value' of this IDN (發.COM) -- This name will demand a price that far outweighs anything you could imagine. For Chinese people this is like having a sure fire winning lottery ticket, 7 days a week for the rest of eternity.

The number 8 in Chinese is very significant as it 'sounds' like this word in -- People in Hong Kong pay millions of dollars for car numberplates with a number 8 combination on them -- And they only SOUND like this word...The phone number 8888-8888 was sold for over a quarter of a million dollars..

Owning this name is not like speculating on real estate in Antartica, it is more akin to already owning Manhattan, the business district in Kong Kong and San Fransisco all in one..

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's still all potential right now and it is not worth more than it's .com counterpart today. In this thread we were not speaking about developed websites, we're speaking about this name for sale today. He said he is accepting six figures today, it is not worth that today. If you think it is worth today, find him a buyer. Besides, even the few sites you mentioned it is not many compared to english .com. I think many of us grasp the cultural value but that does not translate into sales. I'm heavily invested in IDN's myself but I won't suggest, any, some great ones' are worth $100k today. Culturally, they are worth more than this name but again, it's does not equate to a completed sale. I cannot wait to see the some large IDN's sales. Until we do, we should be patient and not artifically inflate the value of the market. It will grow on its own. My challenge to anyone in here that states this name is worth six figures today is this; find that seller a buyer. Cheers.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mulligan said:
Wrong.
There are thousands of websites using IDN's.
A sampling below:

カスタ�*バイク.com
競馬サ�*ン.com
くまちゃんず.com
358ぱん�*.com
ゼノサーガエピソード3.com

My IDN's ARE making money

Hi mulligan,

I apreciate your passion about this. Of the many sites you listed, which ones are high traffic (shown by Alexa) to the IDN itself?

You say you are making money on IDN's. Tell us more about how you are doing that? If you can show that an IDN is making tons of money and not just redirecting to a popular site then that changes all evalutions.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's still all potential right now and it is not worth more than it's .com counterpart today.
This is a .com.
It has no 'English.com' counterpart -- That is the beauty of it. There is no English word that can express what this word means to all Chinese people, from the poorest to the richest.
I have enough to do to find buyers for my own names as it is without finding buyers for others as well...
A buyer willl find the owner of this name, they just have to sit on it and one will come along.

I have no idea what it is worth but it is certainly more than $x,xxx at this moment in time and will only increase in value.

My names are making money at Namedrive and some at SEDO -- Admittedly it is not a fortune but it is paying for reg fees for a lot of names and can only go north when M$ finally release their final IE7 edition

CPTL

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the discussions here.

Everyone thought paying $150,000 for a domain name in 1997 was nuts, the owner must be insane to pay that much. But when he sold Business.com again for $7.5M in 1999, everyone could only admire and praised him a genius.

For IDNs, it is like dot coms in the old days, but the market potential is for people with foresights.

China with 1.3 billion populations is advancing, they are rich enough to buy out parts of IBM, consume the British motor companies, and the HSBC is constantly topping the banking revenue charts. They are progressing, and they will not be clueless anymore.

Do you know Chinese is the most learned language nowadays? Half of the schools in Boston had included Chinese as a secondary subject this year. In fact it is now the second largest spoken foreign language besides Spanish. The funny thing is Chinese house keeper’s salary has increased by 3 folds, because families know their kids will have competitive advantages in future if they can speak Chinese.

The controversial Sex.com broke all records when changed hands for $12M recently. One has to realize internet estates will only increase in value, especially for prime, one off domain names.

If you believe in Chinese IDNs, the challenge here is to find a generic IDN which is more lucrative and with better potential than this one.

Any suggestions?

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still doubt about IDNs.com but see in 2 years the creation of IDN.ITLDs
which is the most fair solutions to fix all the languages

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CPTL said:
I appreciate the discussions here.

Everyone thought paying $150,000 for a domain name in 1997 was nuts, the owner must be insane to pay that much. But when he sold Business.com again for $7.5M in 1999, everyone could only admire and praised him a genius.

For IDNs, it is like dot coms in the old days, but the market potential is for people with foresights.

China with 1.3 billion populations is advancing, they are rich enough to buy out parts of IBM, consume the British motor companies, and the HSBC is constantly topping the banking revenue charts. They are progressing, and they will not be clueless anymore.

Do you know Chinese is the most learned language nowadays? Half of the schools in Boston had included Chinese as a secondary subject this year. In fact it is now the second largest spoken foreign language besides Spanish. The funny thing is Chinese house keeper’s salary has increased by 3 folds, because families know their kids will have competitive advantages in future if they can speak Chinese.

The controversial Sex.com broke all records when changed hands for $12M recently. One has to realize internet estates will only increase in value, especially for prime, one off domain names.

If you believe in Chinese IDNs, the challenge here is to find a generic IDN which is more lucrative and with better potential than this one.

Any suggestions?

CPTL, you have spoken well. I, like you, have invested deeply in IDN's but it all remains potential. I believe they will be popular, I believe Chinese domain name have the most potential because of the cultrual meaning of a word that does not exsist entirely in english and the sheer size and complexity of the Chinese populous. I would just recommend not listening to the hype, the market will grow itself. We can sit here and speculate and it is all very exciting, I agree but the term to remember is potential. Your names, like mine and others in here are not worth 100k today but in a few years time, the sky may be limit. I think many people will one day benefit from these names, great names like yours and even some other names that will catch allot of us off guard. It's great to be in the IDN world at this time, it's a fun time and a bright future. Keep buying domains but anyone that says they are worth 100k are the same people that will not buy today at that price. Nothing in the world is sold without a buyer. Hopefully we will all meet at a future IDN convention once the domains really take off. Until then.. Here to a bright and prosperous future.

Acro

Named

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting and discussing this.

CPTL

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No suggestions ? Nothing to challenge it ? How can that be ?

I shall give you a contender here, a word that is treasured by all Chinese families, said in every blessing, stuck on most front doors, and printed all over the new year calendars:

福.com

This is probably ‘the’ most wanted Chinese word.
Do you think the IDN is better ? Or worse ? Let’s have some opinions.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are many most wanted or most used words in Chinese like English to argue which is the most might significant is pointless and depends on many demographic factors. I think we're speaking more about opinions than facts. My translation of your name, 福.com is actually humorous. LOL. Cheers,

Acro

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
There are many most wanted or most used words in Chinese like English to argue which is the most might significant is pointless and depends on many demographic factors. I think we're speaking more about opinions than facts. My translation of your name, 福.com is actually humorous. LOL. Cheers,

Acro
and what is that translation?

All I see is a box, how do you guys translate a small box? Is my computer just not displaying these "words" right, or are they really just a bunch of boxes?

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr. Deleted said:
and what is that translation?

All I see is a box, how do you guys translate a small box? Is my computer just not displaying these "words" right, or are they really just a bunch of boxes?

Make sure your browers is configured correctly to show Unicode characters from non latin alphabets. Are you using Firefox (if not you should be)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom