Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

發.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks, not sure what version of ff I have, but I have IE7 (beta), and that one is not listed, so I will try to see if I can get FF to work

Joe

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr. Deleted said:
thanks, not sure what version of ff I have, but I have IE7 (beta), and that one is not listed, so I will try to see if I can get FF to work

Joe

Using XP:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > In "Supplemental language support" tick both boxes and "apply"
You will need your XP cd-rom

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sevent said:
Very well put. I have some IDN's myself and have spent X,XXX on an IDN on occasion, but we all need to keep in mind that not one single famous website is hosted on an IDN. Before long all types of domains have to MAKE money to be worth money, or else they become wortheless.

Disagreed. 価檼.com which is Price or Buy in Japanese is an actual site and has over 1 million OVT WITH EXTENSION!

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rockafeller said:
Disagreed. 価檼.com which is Price or Buy in Japanese is an actual site and has over 1 million OVT WITH EXTENSION!

I get:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at xn--1sqs47d.com.

CPTL

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those that cannot resolve IDNs, it is simple, go to Verisign's site:

http://www.idnnow.com/

and download the patch, IE6 will work immediately and resolve any IDN characters.

-----------------------

I think we would still appreciate more discussions here on comparisons and alternatives for topping the names

發.COM and 福.com

I can only explain 發 is most desirable for business and 福 is most wanted by Chinese. If you do not have 發, it's OK, that's life, but without 福, it is quite upsetting.

Any opinions or other suggestions from our Chinese friends ?

What about
壽.com
財.com ??

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is the punycode: xn--1sqt31d.com

(first in google when you search for 価檼) - over 1m ovt w/ ext

They have the ascii equivalent of kakaku.com

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Here is the punycode: xn--1sqt31d.com

(first in google when you search for 価檼) - over 1m ovt w/ ext

They have the ascii equivalent of kakaku.com

This is just the problem. When I go to that URL, either directly with the punycode or using the native characters I get:

"Firefox can't find the server at xn--1sqt31d.com."

Or

We can't find "xn--1sqt31d.com"

in IE. So I cannot tell that they are even using the IDN, let along say if the IDN has any value.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CPTL said:
For those that cannot resolve IDNs, it is simple, go to Verisign's site:

http://www.idnnow.com/

and download the patch, IE6 will work immediately and resolve any IDN characters.

-----------------------

I think we would still appreciate more discussions here on comparisons and alternatives for topping the names

發.COM and 福.com

I can only explain 發 is most desirable for business and 福 is most wanted by Chinese. If you do not have 發, it's OK, that's life, but without 福, it is quite upsetting.

Any opinions or other suggestions from our Chinese friends ?

What about
壽.com
財.com ??

that is for IE6, I have 7, but I have downloaded some Chinese fonts, and that helped for some letters, but some are still showing as boxes. I think I need more fonts...

Example: 發.COM and 福.com I can see the 2nd one now, but still not the first.

CPTL

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Explanation on Chinese Character Sets and Fonts:

Correct, there are 2 versions of Chinese character sets, the Traditional (Fan Ti – 繁體) and the Simplified (Jian Ti – 简体) Sets. Just like English alphabets, there are many types of Fonts in each set.

Mainland China uses Simplified Set and Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore use Traditional Set. This is because Simplified Set was developed in China after 1949 for fast writing, and overseas Chinese traditionally still use Traditional Set.

Unfortunately the two versions use different computer coding and are not compatible. Traditional is Big5 code and the Simplified is GB2312. Although converters are very common, you have to get both character font sets to display both. Like English, if you don’t have the Fonts, it will default to the basic set, but there are 2 sets.

Having said that, some words are the same in both versions, for 福 is one, which explains why you can display it with any one character set.
If you have loaded the Simplified Set, you will see this word 发, as duskdawn pointed out early on in this thread.
If you have loaded the Traditional Set, you will see this word 發. If you can see both 发 and 發, congratulations, you've got both sets.

A character is a word in Chinese, although writes differently, the equivalent word means exactly the same in both sets.

Now you know, let’s learn more Chinese.
(But I must warn you, there are more than 70 dialects, and 4 different ways of pronouncing a word in each dialect.)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what ever became of this domain and this whole matter?

DomainDep.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IDN is OK but PINYIN is far more better.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wtfunk is pinyin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom